• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stirs

Black Panther the movie

26 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

What can he do besides talk about it, and give back to his community and other communities; which I’m sure he’s doing? 

It doesn’t sound like that’s what he’s doing at all. In fact all I’ve heard from him is the opposite.

17 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Yea, I don’t care for super hero movies either, but I see why this is a big deal, so I’ll support. Truthfully, I’d rather go to the cigar bar with my boys tonight than to sit in the theater. Spent $40 on tickets, and I’m sure the ole lady is going to want some pop corn and a drink; that’s another $30. She damn near went into a rage when I said I was going to Kodi gang it lol

Bruh

https://www.moviepass.com/

55 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I believe he told himself black people have no money, yeah.  Although he spoke also for everyone who was poor, no doubt the driving force was the condition of black people.  That condition haven't changed much in terms of economics.

I think that’s the exact opposite of what he told himself. 

Because for the most part, he came from a place of selflessness. Of virtue. Ya, he had his human moments. But he most certainly did not go around saying black people have no money. Give them money.

He went around and ACTIVELY fought for and said they have no rights. He changed something. 

Frankly, I’m tired of your look at me I have no money, give me money attitude.

I"m a comic fan, Black Panther fan, & Marvel fan so I'm going tonight. As such & a black person this is huge for me. A superhero movie where most of the main characters look like my family BBQs. My wife & son are in VT, so I'm going with friends.

I've been waiting about 35 years for Black Panther & Power Man. I got the Power Man last year from Netflix, But I'm really excited for this.

Although I seem to have a bit more empathy than my leftist friends here to Matthias' concerns, I will say that I think taking down the barriers to success was more of the MLK message than equality of outcome.  While there is no doubt that the black community lags behind some others, there are always different views about how to fix them.

While people try things like Affirmative Action, this makes a lot of people crazy for many reasons.  Is it the answer or just something to try?  Same with reparations.  Is it the answer?  Or another attempt which might fall short.  The part I hate the worst and have expressed many times here to the joy of my friends on the left is the government stepping in to "fix" things.

That seldom happens in the end.  It is usually a good thing only through an election cycle or two. LBJ had a major disdain for African Americans yet started programs under the guise of helping.  It helped get Dems elected but put an undue burden on black families.  When you have a problem and a self serving gov tries to "help" you by helping themselves, then you hate to go down that road again.

Gov programs might start out with so called good intentions, but it is mostly an investment for future votes on both sides of the aisle.

47 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

What can he do besides talk about it, and give back to his community and other communities; which I’m sure he’s doing? 

Anyways, the wifey and I will be going to see it tonight. She went out and purchased both me and her dashikis and other African garments, lol. Not trying to be in all that, but anything to make her happy I suppose. Also, being here in Atlanta, I’m sure we won’t be the only ones dressed up. Heard it was good, but I’ve never been into super hero flicks like that. 

I saw a twitter picture where two dudes showed up fully dressed as King Joffe and Prince Akeem. I saw a lot of pics of groups in dashikis. Should be a lot of fun. 

I really love this guy's reviews, and he's usually pretty tough on super hero movies. His praise for this movie was effusive so I trust that it's going to be pretty great: http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/black-panther-guns-germs-steel/2/

Ive seen all the Marvel movies and I'm certainly not going to stop now.  I've got no idea about the origin story of Black Panther so itll be nice to see a movie where I literally have no idea what to expect. 

I hope it's good movie. 

and for the record, I just saw Thor Kangaroo and Justice League on download.

38 minutes ago, Jangler said:

I hope it's good movie. 

and for the record, I just saw Thor Kangaroo and Justice League on download.

early reviews are it is really good 

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

It doesn’t sound like that’s what he’s doing at all. In fact all I’ve heard from him is the opposite.

I get the opposite from his posts. Sounds like he’s very involved in the community, and has a deep concern & care.

Your posts in here and in other topics he’s started come off as you having a personal vendetta against the guy. It’s almost like you’re offended that he’s asking for money and all that he’s bringing up isn’t worthy of your time. 

1 minute ago, AggieLean said:

I get the opposite from his posts. Sounds like he’s very involved in the community, and has a deep concern & care.

Your posts in here and in other topics he’s started come off as you having a personal vendetta against the guy. It’s almost like you’re offended that he’s asking for money and all that he’s bringing up isn’t worthy of your time. 

It has nothing to do with a personal vendetta. I’m sure I’d like the guy outside of this topic. I am a very easy person to get along with. And a very easy going person in general. 

I simply see him just talking and talking. Pushing the same point and doing nothing about it, but trying to blame situations and other people. I’ve never seen a post of his where he has actually said he has done anything for his community or really done anything to further his cause. He just talks money money money how can he get money. 

I get we are in the tinderbox and everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. Well besides that asshat Heel-bot. That it’s a forum online where we can promote and combat geosocial and political ideas. Where we can just talk. 

He just talks about how he can get money. Not empower those people he continues to use as talking points.

I saw it and thought it was an above average Marvel movie. Not the best of them but definitely a fun movie. Didn't seem particularly political to me, which was a relief. 

22 hours ago, Harbingers said:

It has nothing to do with a personal vendetta. I’m sure I’d like the guy outside of this topic. I am a very easy person to get along with. And a very easy going person in general. 

I simply see him just talking and talking. Pushing the same point and doing nothing about it, but trying to blame situations and other people. I’ve never seen a post of his where he has actually said he has done anything for his community or really done anything to further his cause. He just talks money money money how can he get money. 

I get we are in the tinderbox and everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. Well besides that asshat Heel-bot. That it’s a forum online where we can promote and combat geosocial and political ideas. Where we can just talk. 

He just talks about how he can get money. Not empower those people he continues to use as talking points.

I still don't get this about not doing anything.  I can't fix hundreds of years of racism and keeping a whole people out of trying to build wealth.  I, personally, don't have the resources.  I will tell you if I were president, I would definitely push congress to address the issue directly.  I would push for reparations, the study of how black people were effected by slavery/Jim Crow, and how to dispense the resources.  I would even push executive powers toward that end.  I would audit banks, and see if they are giving black people their fair share of business and home loans.

Many may think that is extreme, but they have to realize this is exactly what government did for white people as a whole.  I know people like to talk about how hard they worked and what they earned, but the reality is no one earned a thing.  If it weren't for government stepping in during the Great Depression, you would still have people jumping out of windows and waiting in a bread line.  The government changed all that when they gave home loans with low interest rates, federal guaranteed jobs, land grants, and so much more.  All of which black people as a group was banned from getting, for all intents and purposes.  These things aren't coming down the pike today, and black people missed out due to racism.  What I'm asking for is our cut.  I want the government to do for us like they did for white people for hundreds of years.

Yet sadly, most folk, no matter where they fall on the political spectrum, want to forget history.  They want to pretend everyone is equal today.  You got folk like John Lewis saying we may have arrived here on different ships, but we're all in the same boat now.  Bullcrap!!!!!!!!  Black people are the only ones who still deal with the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow.  We are the only ones who bear this burden of the crimes from the past.  This isn't me loving money for money's sake, I'm pointing out black people have none.  They have no wealth, and it's wealth that creates opportunity. 

Having just seen it, I can say I was terrified that I would be disappointed. I have a bad habit of setting myself up with expectations to be too high. I am thankful to report that it did not disappoint. I wanted to stand up and cheer at the end.

Side note: I'm disappointed that the thread in Nerdvana was locked and had to come here to post this