• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

stirs

Black Panther the movie

I never visit the Nerdvana section so didn't even know there was a thread or two on it.  Sorry for duplicate thread guys

Also just spoke with a friend where she loved it but had a couple hang-ups.  One of her hang-ups is that she was upset that Jordan's character never got to have a conversation with anyone from Wakanda to lead him from his path.  I told her that that was a HUGE point that a lot of black men and kids in America would HEAVILY relate to.  It was on PURPOSE.

I like a lot of what Marvel has done for the genre of film.  It has devolved into a lot of cliche tropes that make it fit neatly into popcorn flicks that strip a lot of these stories of their substance.  This film did a lot to reclaim a lot of what Bryan Singer's original X-Men did for me.  In a lot of ways, I related to the villain.  I absolutely understood how Magneto got to where he was and very much appreciated the elegance of his master plan.  

In much the same way, I related to Jordan's character and his father.  I'm hoping that there's an extended release on blu-ray that further explores that back-story (and others and I am certain ended up on the cutting room floor).  "Killmonger" had a very relatable arc with very specific motives and clear lines for his actions.  Jordan added extra depth to the character in ways that weren't ham-fisted as is normally done with these kinds of films.  He was a real person that I think a lot of people could relate to.

The sheer number of sub-plots that were elegantly and effectively weaved into the overall story was a piece of craftsmanship.  From archetypal runs of sons living in the shadows of their fathers and underpinning romantic relationships, to integrating a HUGE swathe of cultural backgrounds into the tapestry, while keeping it light in ALL the right places with genuine humor.... this is a film that had a lot of love and effort put to it.  I know it is killing it in the box office.  I am hoping that people will appreciate the crazy amount of nuance that made so much of this film transcendent.

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, stirs said:

I never visit the Nerdvana section so didn't even know there was a thread or two on it.  Sorry for duplicate thread guys

I don’t think anyone is to worried about it. 

33 minutes ago, stirs said:

No worries.  Looks like it was locked in October of last year anyway for some reason.

1 hour ago, twylyght said:

Also just spoke with a friend where she loved it but had a couple hang-ups.  One of her hang-ups is that she was upset that Jordan's character never got to have a conversation with anyone from Wakanda to lead him from his path.  I told her that that was a HUGE point that a lot of black men and kids in America would HEAVILY relate to.  It was on PURPOSE.

I like a lot of what Marvel has done for the genre of film.  It has devolved into a lot of cliche tropes that make it fit neatly into popcorn flicks that strip a lot of these stories of their substance.  This film did a lot to reclaim a lot of what Bryan Singer's original X-Men did for me.  In a lot of ways, I related to the villain.  I absolutely understood how Magneto got to where he was and very much appreciated the elegance of his master plan.  

In much the same way, I related to Jordan's character and his father.  I'm hoping that there's an extended release on blu-ray that further explores that back-story (and others and I am certain ended up on the cutting room floor).  "Killmonger" had a very relatable arc with very specific motives and clear lines for his actions.  Jordan added extra depth to the character in ways that weren't ham-fisted as is normally done with these kinds of films.  He was a real person that I think a lot of people could relate to.

The sheer number of sub-plots that were elegantly and effectively weaved into the overall story was a piece of craftsmanship.  From archetypal runs of sons living in the shadows of their fathers and underpinning romantic relationships, to integrating a HUGE swathe of cultural backgrounds into the tapestry, while keeping it light in ALL the right places with genuine humor.... this is a film that had a lot of love and effort put to it.  I know it is killing it in the box office.  I am hoping that people will appreciate the crazy amount of nuance that made so much of this film transcendent.

I agree with everything you said, but the bolded? Hell yeah! He was brilliant in a really fantastic cast.

Killmonger was that dude! Hate he had to die. Thought Black Panther should have made more of an attempt to explain how his father was wrong, and how he was going to right that wrong. That quote where he was referencing how some of the slaves jumped off the ship and died instead of being held in bondage was chilling. 

There were some parallels between what went on in this movie, and how elite/upper & middle class blacks sometimes treat those who are less fortunate. Often get to a level of success and we’re so caught up in maintaining where we’re at that we forget those who are less fortunate, and forget to go back for them and help guide them to success.

On 2/16/2018 at 10:33 AM, SZ James (banned) said:

I'll catch it at some point I'm sure. Haven't decided on if I'll buy a ticket. 

I hate superhero movies and I'm against the existence of disney/marvel as a company. It probably sucks but it's still perceived to be a culturally significant movie, so I don't want to miss out  

I don't give a flying fug about superhero movies either. I never watch them. But everyone is going especially apeshit over this so I may try to go watch it

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, PhillyB said:

I don't give a flying fug about superhero movies either. I never watch them. But everyone is going especially apeshit over this so I may try to go watch it

Honestly, it didn't feel like a superhero movie to me.    It deals with Wakanda and it's not really a "world saving" movie, not in the regular sense at least.   

If anything, I think this movie could have been a bit longer, and had more screen time with Michael B. Jordan because he stole the show every time he was on the screen.      I'm not surprised, I've been a fan since he was a young kid on The Wire.   

• Pie 1

Yep!

I'm torn over whether or not I want them to follow the comics & have him brought back to life in a future film just to get more of his back story. (Assuming there isn't a lot of extras on him on DVD/Blu Ray like twylight mentioned) Best Villain  I've seen in a while.

2 hours ago, donttreadonme said:

a22.jpg

Good thing at the end of the movie the King of Wakanda and his people realized they were wrong. Although a movie, it’s good to see there are people who attempt to right there wrongs..

i have not heard good things about the politics of this movie but aside from that i think it's good to have a black superhero movie. i don't watch superhero movies though so idk. bye everybody

13 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Good thing at the end of the movie the King of Wakanda and his people realized they were wrong. Although a movie, it’s good to see there are people who attempt to right there wrongs..

I'm not into comics or comic movies, but I thought that was a funny meme.