Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ivan The Awesome

Following the Eagles blueprint: finding our Jeffery and Smith.

Recommended Posts

Last year around this time the Eagles were not in the playoffs. They had just gotten their franchise QB. I watched a couple of Eagles games and saw flashes in Wentz. But something wasn't clicking. Matthews and Agholor were being used incorrectly and the staff knew it. Nelson was more of a slot guy and Matthews was definitely the same. Think of our Benjamin and Funchess situation. So what did the Eagles do? Blew that sucker right up. It wasn't working and they weren't going to sit around and try to fit a square peg in a round hole. They added by subtracting Matthews. Then the interesting part was going after what they needed. They had a slot guy in Agholor. They needed a possession guy and speed guy. Who was brought in? Alshon and Torrey. These two have a unique set of talents that meshed together very well with what the Eagles wanted to do on offense. Defenses had to respect the speed and separation of both Agholor and Smith, while also taking note of Jeffery's catch radius and ability to move the chains. Paired with their stellar run game, who also was part of the make over  (Ajayi trade and Blount signing)Well.. We know the result. 

 

Currently our group is made of. Funchess, Samuel, Shepperd,  Byrd, Klay, Bersin for wide outs.

 

This crew doesn't scream out potent. But somehow this team found ways to win 10+ games in this past season. No easy task by the way. Came close to winning the division again as well. But unfortunately the injury bug bit and well Byrd was out most of the time,  Samuel never really got off to a good start, red shirt basically, and the rest of them were playing second fiddle to Funchess. Not good. Funchess was battling this whole season as well with injury. He played banged up. I don't think anyone can despite this. Regardless as soon as Hurney dealt Benjamin away. The offense opened up a bit. Could it be because Cam didn't have his BFF? Shula actually adjusting to it? Maybe both. Cam was once again carrying this team. 

 

Sheppard was nothing but a glorified special teams guy. Klay was inconsistent,  and surprisingly,  Bersin was clutch. Had huge catches. But nothing to warrant him being irreplaceable.  

 

What I suggest is this. Go out and get your Alshon and Smith. 

Technically we have Jeffery already with Funchess. Potentially we have Smith and Agholor. In Klay, Byrd and Samuel. I believe we need to get one of not two of these guys. 

Enter Donte Moncrief and Paul Richardson. Forget Sammy and Robinson. Not happening. The sooner y'all rip off that bandaid the better. 

 

Moncrief and Richardson would instantly upgrade this WR Corp. Funchess, Moncrief, Richardson, Samuel, Byrd,  (winner of Bersin, Klay, Sheppard battle Royale). 

 

 

Both Richardson and Moncrief possess speed. Something this team needs, something the other receivers have. But what I believe the cap would be and what would SEPERATE them from our current guys is talent. The ability to separate as well. Funchess is already a great WR. He would just need to work on little things. He disappeared a couple of times this season. 

 

Richardson in the slot and Moncrief on the outsode with Funchess. (drools)

 

 

Another benefit would be that Richardson is known for his special teams play. I believe he'd be an upgrade over any guy in our roster. 

 

Also with these guys I believe they could be had for a decent and fair price. (even with more reason of Andrew Norwell walks,  which I believe he will). 

 

 

This brings me to the run game. Stewart is done. I hate to say it but it's the truth. My suggestion would be to replace him with Isaiah Crowell or Carlos Hyde. CMC is our Ajayi, a better version in my eyes. Fozzy and CAP are fine back ups. 

 

With these changes in place and a new OC that will know HOW to use them.. I don't see this team taking any steps back. Unless Cam goes down. I would hate to lose Norwell but the decision was made the minute they paid Turner and Kalil. Let him walk, get a third for him next year, plug in a G from the draft or find another gem. (Hurney finding gems, lol). 

Personally im more concerned with our C than Norwell walking. That's just me though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Mike Wallace and Moncerif is my 1st choice..

I like the combo of older vet who leads the room and adding a younger vet about to hit his prime.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see bringing in a vet FA WR to compete and round out our corps, but anyone who thinks we need to use a draft pick on WR is overreacting. Funchess and Samuel are going to run this corps for years, and Byrd is going to be a nice #3/#4 too. None of the others impressed so I can see picking up a proven vet to put us over the top. But unless the next Antonio Brown falls in our lap, I'd rather not waste valuable picks on a WR. Contrary to popular belief, WR is far from our most dire need.

I'd rank them approximately as follows:

1) DE (Pep possibly done, nothing behind Horton and Addison, who is old)

2) CB (this experiment with Bradberry and Worley went super bad last year. Could have been scheme, but I still think we can do better)

3) S (I still believe in Coleman and Adams if they had CBs in front of them that could hold their own and a DL that got more pressure, but both are old and we can surely do better)

4) OL (LT been a problem since Gross left. Possibly losing Norwell)

5) RB (power RB to spell and eventually replace Stew)

6) LB (Davis retiring :'( gotta keep that LB corps stout)

7) WR (a plug in vet would be fine here)

8) TE (Greg not getting any younger. Despite Dickson flashing, I don't believe in him long term)

9) DT (probably losing Star and I freaking hate it, but we might find someone better)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

 

1) DE (Pep possibly done, nothing behind Horton and Addison, who is old)

2) CB (this experiment with Bradberry and Worley went super bad last year. Could have been scheme, but I still think we can do better)

3) S (I still believe in Coleman and Adams if they had CBs in front of them that could hold their own and a DL that got more pressure, but both are old and we can surely do better)

4) OL (LT been a problem since Gross left. Possibly losing Norwell)

5) RB (power RB to spell and eventually replace Stew)

6) LB (Davis retiring :'( gotta keep that LB corps stout)

7) WR (a plug in vet would be fine here)

I’m sorry bro but WR is our 7th most dire need is ludicrous. I could see maybe as low as 3rd but in my eyes it’s first. Funchess is far from a proven commodity. He hasn’t shown he can be even close to a #1. I have hopes for Samuel and Byrd but both of them are as unproven as it gets, and Byrd has been on the team a long time. At this point was have one guy that might start for a few teams in the league as a #2. We have two guys that might be buried on the depth chart, and the rest wouldn’t even make the roster of 30 or so other teams. We have by far the worst WR corps in the league right now  

for me it goes:

WR

S

DE

LT

OL

TE

CB

RB

LB

.

.

.

.

.

DT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

jeffery should've been our jeffery

We have a better version of Jeffery in Funchess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UpstatePanther said:

I can see bringing in a vet FA WR to compete and round out our corps, but anyone who thinks we need to use a draft pick on WR is overreacting. Funchess and Samuel are going to run this corps for years, and Byrd is going to be a nice #3/#4 too. None of the others impressed so I can see picking up a proven vet to put us over the top. But unless the next Antonio Brown falls in our lap, I'd rather not waste valuable picks on a WR. Contrary to popular belief, WR is far from our most dire need.

I'd rank them approximately as follows:

1) DE (Pep possibly done, nothing behind Horton and Addison, who is old)

2) CB (this experiment with Bradberry and Worley went super bad last year. Could have been scheme, but I still think we can do better)

3) S (I still believe in Coleman and Adams if they had CBs in front of them that could hold their own and a DL that got more pressure, but both are old and we can surely do better)

4) OL (LT been a problem since Gross left. Possibly losing Norwell)

5) RB (power RB to spell and eventually replace Stew)

6) LB (Davis retiring :'( gotta keep that LB corps stout)

7) WR (a plug in vet would be fine here)

8) TE (Greg not getting any younger. Despite Dickson flashing, I don't believe in him long term)

9) DT (probably losing Star and I freaking hate it, but we might find someone better)

I like your list and respect your point of view. 

However, I am not on the CB suck list though.  Sophmore slump maybe.  I think the Wilks scheme put alot of undue pressure on them and made them worse than their rookie year.  I would move to 4 and move 3 and 4 up one slot.

IMO Stewart is going to be awesome in Turner's offense.   RB can be had just about any time..

IMO

1. DE  Need to get younger

2. S   Need to get younger

3. OL Need to replace the Kalil Brothers

4. CB Better Scheme and more depth

5. WR  Think can be addressed in Free Agency

6. RB  I want to see Stewart in Turner's offense.  The tread is good on these tires.  

7. LB  TD retiring and LB needs to remain our strong point on defense

8. DT  Star going.   I expect a solid Vet to be picked up to help with the slack of losing Star.

9. TE  Finding a suitable #2 that would develop into the #1 TE can be found midrange of the draft

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a lot of WR's groups to work when you have the best OL in the NFL, which the Eagles do.  Even without Peters the only group really close to them is the Cowboys.   We probably could have made Funches and Benji work together if we would have had that group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’m sorry bro but WR is our 7th most dire need is ludicrous. I could see maybe as low as 3rd but in my eyes it’s first. Funchess is far from a proven commodity. He hasn’t shown he can be even close to a #1. I have hopes for Samuel and Byrd but both of them are as unproven as it gets, and Byrd has been on the team a long time. At this point was have one guy that might start for a few teams in the league as a #2. We have two guys that might be buried on the depth chart, and the rest wouldn’t even make the roster of 30 or so other teams. We have by far the worst WR corps in the league right now  

for me it goes:

WR

S

DE

LT

OL

TE

CB

RB

LB

.

.

.

.

.

DT

Once we dumped KB things started to turn around.  Samuel was starting to come about and when he went down Byrd also started to shine.  It appears bleak but IMO we are better off than most think.   I am not a fan of drafting a WR in round one unless they are a AJ Green/Julio Jones type of WR.   I don't see any of those immediate star qualities in the draft and FA group is questionable whether we'll find what we are looking for.

i think Turner will select the targets in FA for WR and we'll get one.  I don't believe our #1 priority will be a WR.   We have other more pressing issues. 

We have three positions on the OL that need addressing.  at least two if you count Moton moving into Norwell's spot.   Both Kalil's will need replacing and finding a top notch center is key.  We saw when we lost our Pro Bowl LT.  Nothing has been the same since. 

Our DE are getting old.  Even if Peppers hangs around another year that has to be addressed now.   DE's rarely shine their first year.  Drafting one to work with a HOFer would really help.

Safeties are getting old too.  Something has to been addressed THIS off-season.

CB we could use a Vet and a better scheme.

Somewhere after these are addressed if we have room to add another WR that is where I would get one.

RB i think Stewart should remain.

See my other post for comments on the last three spots.

Unless we make a big splash in Free Agency.  I see

Round One S, DE or OL

Round Two Whatever isn't selected above and CB

Round Three we should finish out where we have a CB S, DE and OL or any combination of these 4 positions. (2-OL, S, DL) (2 DE, CB S) blah blah blah.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

We have a better version of Jeffery in Funchess. 

Dude. Come on. The only way Funchess is better than Jeffery is if Jeffery were to tear his ACL and have a hand amputated; even then it's probably close.

I do agree that we need to give up the idea of bringing in an elite guy and that improving the guys below Funch is the way to go. I also agree that Moncreif and Richardson would be an upgrade although those aren't the particular guys that intrigue me.

Moncreif could be out poor-mans Jeffery.

Paul Richardson reminds me more of the eagles Mack Hollins #4 wr but would certainly be an upgrade over the subpar WRs we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Dude. Come on. The only way Funchess is better than Jeffery is if Jeffery were to tear his ACL and have a hand amputated; even then it's probably close.

I do agree that we need to give up the idea of bringing in an elite guy and that improving the guys below Funch is the way to go. I also agree that Moncreif and Richardson would be an upgrade although those aren't the particular guys that intrigue me.

Moncreif could be out poor-mans Jeffery.

Paul Richardson reminds me more of the eagles Mack Hollins #4 wr but would certainly be an upgrade over the subpar WRs we have.

Bro. Funchess was better this year than Alshon.  Trust me I wouldn't say outlandish things. Look at the stats too. Funchess out performed him I'm almost every category. 

 

There's several WR in free agency that could help this offense. Some could instantly compete for that #2 spot with Funchess.  I just believe the overall quality isn't there. We have some guys that flashed but injuries and drops really separate them from others. I'm even considering Mike Wallace. He's got the speed we need. His hands have improved. I don't know of the Ravens will let him go since he's the only one that really had any chemistry with flacco.  Basically I'm just saying we're gonna have to find guys that will help Cam and Funchess. No true #1 but a lot of #2 and #3. Cam plays better spreading the ball around. Jury is out know Byrd and Samuel tho. 1 vet WR wouldn't hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Bro. Funchess was better this year than Alshon.  Trust me I wouldn't say outlandish things. Look at the stats too. Funchess out performed him I'm almost every category. 

 

There's several WR in free agency that could help this offense. Some could instantly compete for that #2 spot with Funchess.  I just believe the overall quality isn't there. We have some guys that flashed but injuries and drops really separate them from others. I'm even considering Mike Wallace. He's got the speed we need. His hands have improved. I don't know of the Ravens will let him go since he's the only one that really had any chemistry with flacco.  Basically I'm just saying we're gonna have to find guys that will help Cam and Funchess. No true #1 but a lot of #2 and #3. Cam plays better spreading the ball around. Jury is out know Byrd and Samuel tho. 1 vet WR wouldn't hurt. 

Funchess doesn't pass the eyeball test for me. Mediocre #2 wr, although he certainly has time to improve. Maybe Norv will have Funch running something other than comeback routes on the sideline every single play.

Agree 100% on the rest. Increase the overall WR talent on the team, not necesarily the talent of the first option. I'm hoping Samuel and Byrd can be that speed threat, although for some reason it seems like they are lacking in deep speed when they get on the field. I'm looking for a(some) well-rounded, #2 calibur guy(s) that can come in and get open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×