• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucky

Ex-CIA director: US meddles in foreign elections for a 'very good cause'

Ex-CIA director: US meddles in foreign elections for a 'very good cause'

Following a federal indictment of Russians accused of meddling in the U.S election, a former CIA director on Friday said the U.S. “probably” meddles in other countries’ elections, as well.

The Russian embassy flagged his comments.

When asked whether the U.S. interferes in other countries’ elections, James Woolsey said, “Well, only for a very good cause in the interests of democracy."

“Oh, probably, but it was for the good of the system in order to avoid communists taking over,” he told Laura Ingraham on her Fox News show on Friday night.

Woolsey served as CIA director under former President Clinton. 

His comments follow a federal indictment released on Friday that accused 13 Russian individuals and three Russian groups of attempting to influence the 2016 presidential election.

The Russian embassy to the United Kingdom quoted Woolsey on Saturday, adding the comment: “Says it all.”

Russia has denied meddling in the U.S. election. The U.S. intelligence community reached the conclusion that they did. Special counsel Robert Mueller's indictment this week charges that the Russian influence operation began in 2014.

Multiple lawmakers have expressed outrage that a foreign government would seek to influence a U.S. election and called for the investigation into charges against Russia to continue, in order to halt meddling in the future.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/374372-ex-cia-director-us-meddles-in-foreign-elections-for-a-good

------------

This should be common knowledge, but what's your opinion on this? Is it hypocritical to condemn Russia for meddling in the U.S. elections when we do the same thing to others? Is it as simple as we are the good guys spreading liberal democracy and they are the bad guys? Is the world better off under an American hegemony?

Meddle away!

America first. 

Just because I don't mind meddling in other elections to further our own self interests doesn't mean I should be okay with others meddling in ours to work against our best interests.

Who doesn't know that?

We mess with everyone and they try to mess with us.  CIA, NSA, what are they there for anyway?

16 minutes ago, HarambeLivesOn said:

we are the biggest hypocrites for sure

yes and no.

we aren’t trying to kill democracies around the world.   We meddle to keep dipshits out.

Russia has a long planned and full on assault against democracies in the world 

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

yes and no.

we aren’t trying to kill democracies around the world.   We meddle to keep dipshits out.

Russia has a long planned and full on assault against democracies in the world 

We have a history of destroying burgeoning progressive societies and installing theocratic and/or fascist regimes to further our geopolitical goals.

6 minutes ago, Floppin said:

We have a history of destroying burgeoning progressive societies and installing theocratic and/or fascist regimes to further our geopolitical goals.

We have a history of fugging up lots of poo and poorly executing all sorts of things.  I mean we can get into the whole good intention thing....but it is a mess.  

Comes with the territory of being the world leader and King Kong.  I mean if that is who you are....the world is just too complex for poo not to just blow up in your face as you attempt to do good.   Nothing is simplistic.  Also means you will find yourself doing poo in a vaccum that seems to contradict IMO.  

I mean not dictate poo and watch more....but I think the arguement for that likely means a bigger mess and having bigger problems (just not as often)

There is no doubt we do it; mostly against people we know would be bad for us, but can at least convince a few bleeding hearts that it's not good for the country in question.

But I think it's mostly done through radio and print propaganda, helping expose bad things from one candidate. 

But the idea is not to get caught or else these people hate you - and lookie here, we have a lot less fans in South and Central America because of our meddling, and people are wary of us.

I don't blame the Russians for trying to get cheap solutions to their problems. But the problem isn't that they interfered per se, its that the guy who won is their guy, and he and his family have done a lot of business with Putins sphere of influence which is the actual bad part. If the Russians had not done anything and Trump would have won, we'd be in the same pickle now.

My problem is that it seems like we aren't toppling brutal dictators and replacing them with legit democracies, but we are doing the opposite. We interfere in real democracies like Cuba and Venezuela, etc.; more democratic than our indirect electoral college system.

ofoh00i.jpg

1 hour ago, CRA said:

We have a history of fugging up lots of poo and poorly executing all sorts of things.  I mean we can get into the whole good intention thing....but it is a mess.  

Comes with the territory of being the world leader and King Kong.  I mean if that is who you are....the world is just too complex for poo not to just blow up in your face as you attempt to do good.   Nothing is simplistic.  Also means you will find yourself doing poo in a vaccum that seems to contradict IMO.  

I mean not dictate poo and watch more....but I think the arguement for that likely means a bigger mess and having bigger problems (just not as often)

Yep, but kind of flies in the face of "For the greater good" unless the greater good is US centric. Which is fine I suppose if you don't mind shitting on the rest of the world, but lets call a spade a spade shall we.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    archer4364

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts