• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthro

Props to Rubio

He showed up and took on tough questions at a an extremely emotional time. I didn't agree with everything he said but alas i tip my beret to him.

At least there was a crack is the NRA funded stonewall.  May just end up being a dusty old crack, or it could turn into an actual budge or movement in policy.

He did stand up, which was a good look for him, but overall, I don't hold much hope for anything that actually makes a positive change.

I don't give him props yet.  When he and others actually do something, then we'll see.  As for him showing up, that's his job.

I noted in the other thread.  Rubio who I disagree with a lot stood there and took the hard questions.  It was a huge contrasts to our president who choose to be isolated.

Rubio still clearly is relying on NRA funding but at least he looked the kids in the face who are critical of that and responded to them.

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

I don't give him props yet.  When he and others actually do something, then we'll see.  As for him showing up, that's his job.

It was a lot of people's job to show up but they didn't

Yeah, Rubio showed up, and didn't have a PR stunt with screened questions like Trump did.    Even though like others, I don't agree with all he said, at least he showed up.     I'm glad he didn't buy into the whole "give teachers guns" thing etc either.    

Rubio is who I wish we had as president.  He articulates his points/ideas as well as any current politician.  Just watched some of the CNN tweet vids from the exchange.  It was an extremely hostile crowd and I can see why many Republicans didn't attend, but he did.  He did and it plays well because of this.  

It’s a sad state of affairs where we give our elected leaders props for showing up rather than doing something. This fools has been in the senate for how long? What has he shown to care about gun violence? 

I’d give him props if he mobilized his party and they banned assault weapons. 

4 minutes ago, CelibatePimp said:

It’s a sad state of affairs where we give our elected leaders props for showing up rather than doing something. This fools has been in the senate for how long? What has he shown to care about gun violence? 

I’d give him props if he mobilized his party and they banned assault weapons. 

Define an assault weapon.  If you're using a generic term towards large cap magazines only?  Ok.  Are you talking about the rounds used?  Style of the gun?  Rate of fire?  

Go watch the CNN event.  Everyone is hollering and hooping it up any time there's a crack on Rubio for inaction, words, etc.  The moment Jake Tapper directs a question to Bob Nelson about their inaction during their time of control?  It's a sad state of affairs in our political state right now.  Rubio is the one bright light in it all.  

3 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

Define an assault weapon.  If you're using a generic term towards large cap magazines only?  Ok.  Are you talking about the rounds used?  Style of the gun?  Rate of fire?  

Go watch the CNN event.  Everyone is hollering and hooping it up any time there's a crack on Rubio for inaction, words, etc.  The moment Jake Tapper directs a question to Bob Nelson about their inaction during their time of control?  It's a sad state of affairs in our political state right now.  Rubio is the one bright light in it all.  

I would take the 1994 law as a starting template and look at weapons created since that.

Absolutely we need to look at standard rate of fire and capacity.  We need to be sensible about what an average person can do with a weapon in a short amount of time.

As a gun owner I welcome this.

Rubio gets props - he still needs his NRA money though. The NRA has targeted Nelson for removal from office - dont think they will be funding him.

1 minute ago, Fryfan said:

I would take the 1994 law as a starting template and look at weapons created since that.

Absolutely we need to look at standard rate of fire and capacity.  We need to be sensible about what an average person can do with a weapon in a short amount of time.

As a gun owner I welcome this.

Rate of fire, bump stocks, hellfire triggers, and anything that could be determined to mimic an "automatic" weapon is absolutely something that should be reviewed.  Post-Vegas, I was floored that bump stocks existed and how they were allowed.  Raising the age to 21 helps too, but we still need to open HIPAA laws for background review.  Not for spiteful reasons, but typically schizophrenia and some other mental illnesses occur in the early 20s for males and simply upping the age limit to 21 wouldn't cover it.  Needs to have some oversight there in addition to any human taking psychotropic medicines.  

3 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

Rate of fire, bump stocks, hellfire triggers, and anything that could be determined to mimic an "automatic" weapon is absolutely something that should be reviewed.  Post-Vegas, I was floored that bump stocks existed and how they were allowed.  Raising the age to 21 helps too, but we still need to open HIPAA laws for background review.  Not for spiteful reasons, but typically schizophrenia and some other mental illnesses occur in the early 20s for males and simply upping the age limit to 21 wouldn't cover it.  Needs to have some oversight there in addition to any human taking psychotropic medicines.  

And everything that was subject to the 1994 ban should be reviewed.  The 1994 did not STOP mass shootings but we did not have the rates of death we are seeing today.  Its ridiculous and needs to stop.  

--

Generally speaking, an “assault weapon” is considered to be a military style weapon capable of providing by a selector switch either semiautomatic—that is, the firearm discharges one round, then loads a new round, each time the trigger is pulled until the magazine is exhausted—or a fully automatic firearm—that is, continuous discharge of rounds while the trigger is depressed until all rounds are discharged. Under federal law, a fully automatic firearm falls under the definition “machinegun,” which is defined as “any weapon that shoots ... automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.”26 Semiautomatic firearms, including semiautomatic assault weapons, are “produced with semiautomatic fire capability only.”

The 1994 act made it “unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.”28 Weapons banned were identified either by specific make or model (including copies or duplicates thereof, in any caliber), or by specific characteristics that slightly varied according to whether the weapon was a pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

The act also made it unlawful to transfer and possess large capacity ammunition feeding devices (LCAFD).30 An LCAFD was defined as “any magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after the date [of the act] that has the capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition.”31 LCAFDs manufactured after the date of enactment were required to have a serial number that “clearly shows” that they were manufactured after such date, as well as other markings prescribed by regulation

--https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42957.pdf

WTF did this expire!   How many deaths would have been prevented if this stayed on the books!   Its BEYOND ridiculous we let this lapse.

Save your its so hard to define BS for people that dont own guns.  We know what mass shooters use - and the 1994 ban targeted THOSE weapons.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    dercrutch

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts