• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

More from Panthers.com: Vernon Butler

Same as they did with Moton and Norwell, the team site talks about replacing Lotulelei with Butler.  Definitely seems like they're prepping to watch them both walk.

One odd thing, though. It doesn't necessarily sound like Ron Rivera and Eric Washington are on exactly the same page.

"The situation is that if we can get Star taken care of then he'll be there, but if we don't, then we feel comfortable with what Vernon is becoming," head coach Ron Rivera said last week. "We thought Vernon had a good year of growth, and I know he's going to be looking for more opportunities. If he earns them, we'll give them."

To date, though, Butler has been a player better equipped to spell Short than to play alongside him. Butler, like Short, is athletic enough to blow things up by getting vertical, by in effect taking more of a straight line to the quarterback. Lotulelei is more of a space-eater, occupying blockers horizontally across the line to free things up for players like Short and Butler to penetrate.

Eric Washington, shortly after being elevated from defensive line coach to coordinator a month ago, said he’s not looking to replace Lotulelei with Butler, but someone will line up beside Short in Week 1.

Size is on Butler's side. At 6-foot-4, 330 pounds, he's actually two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Lotulelei.

"He's a big, athletic guy who is explosive and quick – a lot in the mold of KK," Rivera said. "But he can (play like Lotulelei) because of his size and his strength."

Vernon Butler in line with for bigger role?

And hey, if you really wanna get your tinfoil hat out, check this tweet from Voth.

what if butler has a break out year in 2018? which draft pick will be highlighted as a bust so ppl can keep shitting on gettleman’s drafting?

1 minute ago, frash.exe said:

what if butler has a break out year in 2018? which draft pick will be highlighted as a bust so ppl can keep shitting on gettleman’s drafting?

Shaq and the two corners.

I think a lot of people did.

General belief was that Butler was drafted in case we couldn't keep Short, then we got Short signed.

Now, it's possible he was also drafted just in case we lost Star later.  The timing definitely would have been right.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think a lot of people did.

General belief was that Butler was drafted in case we couldn't keep Short, then we got Short signed.

Now, it's possible he was also drafted just in case we lost Star later.  The timing definitely would have been right.

Yea i  said this a couple of months ago and another commenter shot it down going on about how important Satr was

2 minutes ago, Palmetto said:

Yea i  said this a couple of months ago and another commenter shot it down going on about how important Star was

Star is important. So is Norwell.

But come September, both of them are likely to be important to other teams.

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Sheeew I really hope he elevates his play. We're going to need him. 

His play was fine late in the season. His attitude however was not. 

In the Saints playoff game he did...something unesscary that could've easily been flagged. I'm much more worried about that kind of poo than his play.

30 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

Gettleman's issue wasn't picking busts per se in the first round,  it was making luxury picks and/or simply picking the wrong player---the player that would possibly have an impact down the road, but not an immediate impact on the field at a position of need. 

Don't misconstrue what many people have said who have an issue with Gettleman's draft strategy. 

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Gettleman's issue wasn't picking busts per se in the first round,  it was making luxury picks and/or simply picking the wrong player---the player that would possibly have an impact down the road, but not an immediate impact on the field at a position of need. 

Don't misconstrue what many people have said who have an issue with Gettleman's draft strategy. 

that’s just generic bitching that common fans of every team do. i mean you can take that seriously but i sure as poo don’t. 

if this forum was an audio signal, “why did we draft so-and-so we could’ve had this guy and filled a NEED” would be a droning hum that never goes away.

4 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

that’s just generic bitching that common fans of every team do. i mean you can take that seriously but i sure as poo don’t. 

if this forum was an audio signal, “why did we draft so-and-so we could’ve had this guy and filled a NEED” would be a droning hum that never goes away.

Nah. No way we should have passed on Landon Collins, Marshon Lattimore, or either Henry. No way! 

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Nah. No way we should have passed on Landon Collins, Marshon Lattimore, or either Henry. No way! 

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

And hey, if you really wanna get your tinfoil hat out, check this tweet from Voth.

Wouldn't shock me (nor necessarily bother me) if we took a QB in the 5th round or later. I'm not on board with taking one earlier than that though. IMO, JT Barrett is a name to watch for us in the later rounds.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    archer4364

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts