• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paa Langfart

Dem think tank pushing Medicaire for Everyone

from the center for American Progress

All individuals in the United States would be automatically eligible for Medicare Extra. Individuals who are currently covered by other insurance—original Medicare, Medicare Advantage, employer coverage, TRICARE (for active military), Veterans Affairs medical care, or the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP), all of which would remain—would have the option to enroll in Medicare Extra instead. Individuals who are eligible for the Indian Health Service could supplement those services with Medicare Extra.

Newborns and individuals turning age 65 would be automatically enrolled in Medicare Extra. This auto-enrollment ensures that Medicare Extra would continue to increase in enrollment over time.

Individuals who are not enrolled in other coverage would be automatically enrolled in Medicare Extra. Participating medical providers would facilitate this enrollment at the point of care. Premiums for individuals who are not enrolled in other coverage would be automatically collected through tax withholding and on tax returns. Individuals who are not required to file taxe

The Center for Medicare Extra (described below) would determine base premiums that reflect the cost of coverage only. These premiums would vary by income based on the following caps:

• For families with income up to 150 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL), premiums would be zero.9
  • For families with income between 150 percent and 500 percent of FPL, caps on premiums would range from 0 percent to 10 percent of income.
  • For families with income above 500 percent of FPL, premiums would be capped at 10 percent of income.

Medicare Extra would be financed in part by taxes on high-income individuals. One option would be a surtax on adjusted gross income—including capital gains—on very high-income individuals. CAP’s modeling will determine the exact parameters of the surtax, including the rate. In addition, under current law, large accumulations of wealth are never subject to capital gains taxes if held until death and transferred to heirs. One option would be to eliminate this stepped-up basis so that large accumulations of wealth cannot avoid capital gains tax.

Medicare Extra would also be financed in part by increasing health care taxes and curtailing health care tax breaks. For high-earners—singles with income above $200,000 and couples with income above $250,000—the additional Medicare payroll tax and the Medicare net investment income tax (NIIT) could be increased. In addition, all business income of high-income taxpayers—including S corporation shareholders, limited partners, and members of limited liability companies—could be subject to the Medicare tax either through self-employment taxes or the NIIT. The tax benefit from the exclusion for employer-sponsored insurance would be capped at 28 percent. In addition, lower premiums for employer-sponsored insurance would significantly reduce this tax expenditure. Medicare Extra would also obviate the need for tax benefits for flexible spending accounts and health savings accounts.

Lastly, Medicare Extra would be financed in part through public health excise taxes. The federal excise tax on cigarettes would be increased by 50 cents per pack and adjusted for inflation. A tax could also be imposed on sugared drinks equal to 1 cent per ounce. These taxes would reduce health care spending, helping to offset the cost of Medicare Extra. 

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/reports/2018/02/22/447095/medicare-extra-for-all/

There is a lot more in the article and it looks like a well thought out plan to me.   Time for our country to move into the 21 st century.

I can see companies just dropping insurance as they know employees can then get enrolled in this .

Not saying that is the bad thing - we need to take healthcare off the backs of employers but wonders how that would effect phase in plans of something like this.

11 hours ago, Fryfan said:

I can see companies just dropping insurance as they know employees can then get enrolled in this .

Not saying that is the bad thing - we need to take healthcare off the backs of employers but wonders how that would effect phase in plans of something like this.

I think health insurance companies could still prosper with a single payer system.  They could simply offer their luxury plans to those who can afford it as supplemental insurance over the basic Medicare For All.

Of course this won't fly for many years.  Which is good.  Let's really work out all of the details on a single payer system before we send it out there.  Let is stew for another 10 or so years until the electorate is truly ready to accept it. 

5 hours ago, d-dave said:

Of course this won't fly for many years.  Which is good.  Let's really work out all of the details on a single payer system before we send it out there. 

You are one of the lucky folks who has either money or a good job with and excellent insurance plan or the third possibility you are already on medicaire.  There are around 60 million people in this country who either have no health care at all or are receiving health care that dotard and his cronies want to do away with.  What do you say to them ?  Lets argue about it for another 10 years while you  or a family member dies for lack of care ?

12 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

You are one of the lucky folks who has either money or a good job with and excellent insurance plan or the third possibility you are already on medicaire.  There are around 60 million people in this country who either have no health care at all or are receiving health care that dotard and his cronies want to do away with.  What do you say to them ?  Lets argue about it for another 10 years while you  or a family member dies for lack of care ?

Ha, I'm a teacher on the state employee healthcare plan.  So there's that.

While I applaud the desire for single payer, the problem is that NO ONE will touch it in DC right now.  The Pubs still hold Congress, the White House, and added a "conservative" judge to the SCOTUS.  The current batch of politicians out there aren't going to stake their reputation on it.  We need to join the rest of the Western, industrialized world by taking care of our people, but there aren't enough people in the pipeline who can actually get it done.

Don't pretend this stuff happens over night.  There are a TON of things that need to happen for something of this size to occur.  Remember how many times both the Dems and Pubs have said they were going to fix healthcare?  Since healthcare touches every single American, then it needs to be done correctly. It's not just the patients, but the providers and facilities that need to be able to function on this plan.

Why is Obamacare such a toxic issue?  1. Republicans hated Obama, 2. It was pushed through in 14 months (an eternity compared to tax reform?).  3. It took away CHOICE from Americans (what if I want to get sick?  But what about abortions? Choice??  Different topic).

Take the time to do it right, make is legislation that stands the test of time and helps everyone, and the cost shared is understood and equitable.  Also, in 10 years, we should have a ton more new, younger people who see health care as a right not a privilege.  If it happens sooner, great, but don't speed through it.

That being said, it won't happen.  In 2020, if the Dems sweep 2018 and 2020, then the have until 2022 to get it signed into law.  So it's a short time, one party dominated argument where mistakes are going to be made.

8 minutes ago, d-dave said:

While I applaud the desire for single payer, the problem is that NO ONE will touch it in DC right now.  The Pubs still hold Congress, the White House, and added a "conservative" judge to the SCOTUS.  The current batch of politicians out there aren't going to stake their reputation on it.  We need to join the rest of the Western, industrialized world by taking care of our people, but there aren't enough people in the pipeline who can actually get it done.

Don't pretend this stuff happens over night.  There are a TON of things that need to happen for something of this size to occur.  Remember how many times both the Dems and Pubs have said they were going to fix healthcare?  Since healthcare touches every single American, then it needs to be done correctly. It's not just the patients, but the providers and facilities that need to be able to function on this plan.

Why is Obamacare such a toxic issue?  1. Republicans hated Obama, 2. It was pushed through in 14 months (an eternity compared to tax reform?).  3. It took away CHOICE from Americans (what if I want to get sick?  But what about abortions? Choice??  Different topic).

Take the time to do it right, make is legislation that stands the test of time and helps everyone, and the cost shared is understood and equitable.  Also, in 10 years, we should have a ton more new, younger people who see health care as a right not a privilege.  If it happens sooner, great, but don't speed through it.

That being said, it won't happen.  In 2020, if the Dems sweep 2018 and 2020, then the have until 2022 to get it signed into law.  So it's a short time, one party dominated argument where mistakes are going to be made.

I think the democrats should play this a little like tax reform but smarter.

For year the GOP has been talking tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts.  When they finally had enough control they had to hold their members feets to the fire that for years have been using tax cuts to get elected.

The dems need to put forward good universal plans every year --well thought out plans.  If they get the Senate this year - they can move to debate them deeper...have them die in the house..or if its  a true wave election go to the president for veto.....

When they dems swing back in full power -universal care is a 100 day issue.  They did the work the whipped the votes in congress for years prior - its something they have to do or look like complete jokes back at townhalls.

I make low six figures and pay about $2000 a year in health care premiums so with a FPL of $12060 for individuals this plan obviously created by pandering imbeciles would increase my premiums to over $10000 a year.  In other words this plan would fug me and anyone else making decent money in the ass.  No thanks Dems.

41 minutes ago, tondi said:

I make low six figures and pay about $2000 a year in health care premiums so with a FPL of $12060 for individuals this plan obviously created by pandering imbeciles would increase my premiums to over $10000 a year.  In other words this plan would fug me and anyone else making decent money in the ass.  No thanks Dems.

No one cares what your % is when looking at premium cost.  What is your TOTAL premium cost - what you AND your employer pay.

Figure that out and then respond.

5 hours ago, d-dave said:

If you read the link I provided it does not happen immediately.  It is phased in over a 6 year period.  A lot of other countries have already done this and we can learn from their mistakes.  We do not have to reinvent the wheel here.  The time is now.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:22 AM, d-dave said:

I think health insurance companies could still prosper with a single payer system.  They could simply offer their luxury plans to those who can afford it as supplemental insurance over the basic Medicare For All.

Of course this won't fly for many years.  Which is good.  Let's really work out all of the details on a single payer system before we send it out there.  Let is stew for another 10 or so years until the electorate is truly ready to accept it. 

you just can't do single payer. once that horse leaves the barn game over. at the very least have 2 systms.  private and public. 

12 hours ago, pstall said:

you just can't do single payer. once that horse leaves the barn game over. at the very least have 2 systms.  private and public. 

Private won’t go away with a public system. 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    dercrutch

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts