• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

DaveThePanther2008

How about those Cheating Dookies

10 hours ago, 4Corners said:

hey bud - I posted a few weeks ago about how NCSU was all over this college basketball scandal crap. Guess what program is the latest to have information subpoenaed by the US Justice Department?

Hey bud - Check my first post in the thread where I say State is one of the only schools in any real trouble.

The school itself disassociated itself from the agent in question years ago, so all blame probably rests of DSJ/Gottfried.  Both of who are gone.  Again, like I said, forfeit the season and games that DSJ participated in (yay) and doubt anything else happens. 

15 hours ago, 4Corners said:

makes it even sweeter the good guys won. 

best non NCAA tourney win game of my life tbh. I was 4 when Vince carter n co beat them in the finals in Greensboro 20 years ago, I bet that was pretty awesome though. Grayson made my blood boil last night, couldn't put it any better.

Only heels fans will cry after a win.  Good lord.  Congrats on the win. 

On 3/10/2018 at 11:13 AM, CarolinaNCSU said:

Hey bud - Check my first post in the thread where I say State is one of the only schools in any real trouble.

The school itself disassociated itself from the agent in question years ago, so all blame probably rests of DSJ/Gottfried.  Both of who are gone.  Again, like I said, forfeit the season and games that DSJ participated in (yay) and doubt anything else happens. 

It doesn’t work that way. Just because the folks who were breaking rules (Gottfried/DSJ - that we know of) are no longer there, that doesn’t mean the NCAA won’t punish retroactively. 

It’s still way too early to tell what is going to happen with the schools who are knee deep in a pile of FBI sh1t - but NCheat State should be concerned. I’d love to see NCheat State get hammered (along with duke and UK) after spending the past 5-7 years crying and whining and chasing a ghost at UNC. Poetic justice. 

Recommend checking out the latest piece from USA Today - posting from phone or would link. Reporter in I belive Oregon did some snooping and found some monetary abnormalities between Nike and the Bagley family. Nothing concrete, no damning evidence, but certainly some suspicious behavior from the Bagley family. The NCAA is in bed with the shoe companies anyway but it could be something that garners the attention of the Feds. You know  Koach Krybaby in Durham is counting down the days to the NBA draft trying to get Wendell carter and Marvin Bagley out of duke as quickly as possible.

I have a hard time wishing ill will on people, especially a college basketball program that I don’t like but honestly has done nothing to me personally except piss me off a couple times, but man.....I’m not gonna lie, I would find it hilarious and almost satisfying if duke, NCSU, and Kentucky fans had to cope with some sort of ncaa infractions/penalties or even better some sort of legal problems with the FBI. It would be ironic and poetic justice. The last 5-7 years have been hell on UNC...a lot of it fueled by rival fan base losers on social media and by self serving sports writers talking out of both sides of their mouths. 

20 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Recommend checking out the latest piece from USA Today - posting from phone or would link. Reporter in I belive Oregon did some snooping and found some monetary abnormalities between Nike and the Bagley family. Nothing concrete, no damning evidence, but certainly some suspicious behavior from the Bagley family. The NCAA is in bed with the shoe companies anyway but it could be something that garners the attention of the Feds. You know  Koach Krybaby in Durham is counting down the days to the NBA draft trying to get Wendell carter and Marvin Bagley out of duke as quickly as possible.

I have a hard time wishing ill will on people, especially a college basketball program that I don’t like but honestly has done nothing to me personally except piss me off a couple times, but man.....I’m not gonna lie, I would find it hilarious and almost satisfying if duke, NCSU, and Kentucky fans had to cope with some sort of ncaa infractions/penalties or even better some sort of legal problems with the FBI. It would be ironic and poetic justice. The last 5-7 years have been hell on UNC...a lot of it fueled by rival fan base losers on social media and by self serving sports writers talking out of both sides of their mouths. 

My understanding is that these were apparel brands and whatnot started by his dad. Nothing different than the Ball father, just much less obnoxious.

7 minutes ago, Floppin said:

My understanding is that these were apparel brands and whatnot started by his dad. Nothing different than the Ball father, just much less obnoxious.

Nike was not started by Marvin Bagley’s father you doofus. Nike was “sponsoring” the team that Bagley’s father was coaching. The article is questioning the legitimacy of the relationship between Nike and the Bagley family.  As I mentioned, there’s nothing damning in the article but it does raise some questions and anyone with a brain would be suspicious of the relationship considering the news about shoe companies and college basketball we’ve seen in the past months.

"The NCAA has apparently never looked into the Nike-Bagley relationship, but six experts on NCAA compliance told The Oregonian/OregonLive that the parent-coaches paid to run their kids' club basketball teams could be a breach of amateurism rules."

Edited by 4Corners

Just now, 4Corners said:

Nike was not started by Marvin Bagley’s father you doofus. Nike was “sponsoring” the team that Bagley’s father was coaching. As I mentioned, there’s nothing damning in the article but it does raise some questions and anyone with a brain would be suspicious of the relationship considering the news about shoe companies and college basketball we’ve seen in the past months.

"The NCAA has apparently never looked into the Nike-Bagley relationship, but six experts on NCAA compliance told The Oregonian/OregonLive that the parent-coaches paid to run their kids' club basketball teams could be a breach of amateurism rules."

That's not what I was talking about. One of the big selling points of the article was mentioning his increase in net worth while also mentioning that this might have come from the fathers apparel brands that he's started in the last few years.

As far as the sponsorship goes that's nothing. My AAU team was sponsored by Reebok and that was almost 20 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Floppin said:

That's not what I was talking about. One of the big selling points of the article was mentioning his increase in net worth while also mentioning that this might have come from the fathers apparel brands that he's started in the last few years.

As far as the sponsorship goes that's nothing. My AAU team was sponsored by Reebok and that was almost 20 years ago. 

Thanks for the breakdown, Charles Schwab. 

Marvin Bagley Jr. and his wife filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, during the Great Recession, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Property records indicate the Bagley home was sold in 2011 at a trustee's sale -- typically a sign of a foreclosure.

Four years later, shortly after Nike's sponsorship of the team became public, they left their working-class neighborhood in Phoenix for Southern California. In a tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch. Similarly sized homes in the vicinity typically sell for $750,000 to $1.5 million, said Jose Contreras, a Coldwell Banker real estate broker active in the area. Rents in the neighborhood range from $2,500 to $7,500 a month.

Neither the Bagleys nor Nike would offer any details about the team sponsorship or the family's personal finances. Contacted via telephone and through the Duke University sports information department, the Bagleys "respectfully declined" to comment."

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Thanks for the breakdown, Charles Schwab. 

Marvin Bagley Jr. and his wife filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, during the Great Recession, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Property records indicate the Bagley home was sold in 2011 at a trustee's sale -- typically a sign of a foreclosure.

Four years later, shortly after Nike's sponsorship of the team became public, they left their working-class neighborhood in Phoenix for Southern California. In a tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch. Similarly sized homes in the vicinity typically sell for $750,000 to $1.5 million, said Jose Contreras, a Coldwell Banker real estate broker active in the area. Rents in the neighborhood range from $2,500 to $7,500 a month.

Neither the Bagleys nor Nike would offer any details about the team sponsorship or the family's personal finances. Contacted via telephone and through the Duke University sports information department, the Bagleys "respectfully declined" to comment."

As I said, if its parental brand building then who cares? I'm not sure what you're arguing with me about? If Nike was paying the family inappropriately then I'm fine with any action taken as penalty. I'm just not seeing it based on that article.

Pretty much all big time amateur traveling teams are sponsored whether a kids parent coaches or not. I just don't see the grit in this.

To that point, Marvin Jr. had been working as a union plumber and pipe fitter for UA Local 469. Matt Allen, the director and co-founder of Hillcrest Prep who was in attendance at the Peach Jam to watch Ayton play for California Supreme, made no bones about why he hired Marvin Jr. "I don't know that we hire him if his son isn't Marvin Bagley III. That's the truth," he admitted. "I knew he wanted to be involved with his son, so we hired him to coach." That move paid off doubly when the Bagleys convinced Ayton, a native of the Bahamas who was in the midst of extracting himself from Balboa City School in San Diego, to move with his mother to Arizona and enroll in Hillcrest as well.

It didn't long for things to go sour. At the time, Hillcrest Prep was affiliated with a local charter school named Starshine Academy. However, last fall a member of the NCAA's basketball group traveled to Arizona and concluded that the classes at Starshine Academy in Phoenix could not be count toward the players' collegiate eligibility. Hillcrest would eventually land suitable replacements, but Marvin Jr. decided to bail. After a brief search of potential landing spots, he moved his family in December to California and enrolled Marvin III and Marcus at Sierra Canyon, a private school located about 40 miles north of Los Angeles. (The Bagleys have three other sons as well.) Sierra Canyon does not provide housing, so the family is renting a house nearby. Marvin Jr. said he and his wife "try to make ends meet" with a newly-launched athletic apparel business and the sponsorship agreement Nike has with Phoenix Phamily.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/07/12/top-prospect-marvin-bagley-iii-one-nations-top-basketball-prospects

From 2016 in SI. Another reference to what I'm referring to.

21 hours ago, Floppin said:

As I said, if its parental brand building then who cares? I'm not sure what you're arguing with me about? If Nike was paying the family inappropriately then I'm fine with any action taken as penalty. I'm just not seeing it based on that article.

Pretty much all big time amateur traveling teams are sponsored whether a kids parent coaches or not. I just don't see the grit in this.

Are u a duke fan 

More bad news for the Wolpfackers - evidence that someone on the previous coaching staff hand delivered an additional 40K to Dennis Smith Jr. RUH ROH

Who cares about any of this stuff?  When it is more acceptable to flat out cheat academically then it is to get paid under the table,  the whole system needs to go.