thebigcat

Are you pleased with Hurney thus far?

I agree with the people he released. I personally would have released Davis and R. Kalil but I get it

I like that he let Star and Norwell walk, I wish we could have kept Norwell but there's no way he was going to get paid when Trai got paid.

I like the Smith trade and sighing of Wright 

I love he brought Peppers back

I like the DL signing in Poe 

I think he'll find a safety and or CB free agent to try and set up the draft

I like he didn't pay Ebron that much, I think he'll bring in Wilson

All in all this has not been a typical Hurney off-season, solid moves, no acts of desperation and we should be in contention next year.

I was a Gettiesburg believer but Hurney is winning my trust again

Edited by thebigcat
  • Beer 1

Not really. We are still weak at CB, we now are weak at TE2, WR seems marginally better than last year, we have Amini at LG, and we have no backup QB at this point. Only plus he has brought to the Panthers is Poe who is a upgrade over Star.  

• Pie 2

Hard to be pleased without knowing results.

Would not have kept two kickers or released Butker.

Would have put money into WR before CB. Didn’t think the CB he did sign was good enough to warrant 8 mil. Kalil $ could of played a factor here.

Would have asked Ryan Kalil to take pay cut or release him.

If released would have bit the bullet and tagged Norwell. Go into season with all pro guards, solid center and at least a solid RT instead of going in now with ? at G and a shaky C clearly cashing out his career.

I don’t know the big board or  hat the Panthers are doing draft wise and Hurney/Scouts do so who knows.

The Kalil scenario smells of past Hurney mistakes but other than that I’m I am pleasantly suprised. Overpaying favorites and letting players go past their prime, holding them for too low long without getting something in return was his biggest issues. Followed closely by FA.

Edited by Lumps
  • Pie 1

It seems Hurney has actually taken a page out of Gettleman's handbook, in the areas where DG succeeded. The draft will be a HUGE test--one where unfortunately we won't know the answers until years down the road. Despite the surprise this offseason from Hurney, I still prefer we move on in the next year with new ownership bringing in their own new blood in the FO.

• Pie 2

I give him a B at this point. He can't help where the cap was left and that Breeland didn't work.

He is trying to address the right holes with the right candidates, just not panning out for TE, CB, or S as of late. As we saw with Ebron, it probably has to do more with the money than anything.

Now it's the true test, down to the wire on cap space and quality FAs.

Edited by MtnProwler
  • Pie 1

No and I am 100% convinced you have some agenda if you say you are. This team is noticeably worse. 

When the Torrey Smith trade was made we were told to calm down, it wouldn't be the only WR they get Cam. Well those people were right, we got Wright. Ha

We are worse at offensive line, Running Back, Safety, tight end, and corner from last year. I think we are a push at DT at best, but I don't want to get into it with people how underrated most you have made Star. So fine, we improved at DT to save an argument.

we have done absolutley nothing to add the our weakness of outside pass rush this offseason. And oh yeah, we made Graham gano the second highest paid kicker in football. 

But im sure I'll hear "yeah but norv Turner or something."

• Poo 2

Nope. It's coming to fruition that his poo is out of whack. Poe may be a splash, but we had Butler. Now we have no corner and he should have done more research with Breeland. I like the Wright signing, but Poe wasn't a necessity and now it's been a week and nothing has been done to help with the secondary. Trade the third for Darby, and he'll right the ship. But right now if we're depending on draft picks, it's going to be 2016 all over again

• Pie 1

Not really. You never let good offensive linemen go. We cut our starting safety and have yet to replace him. Hurneys biggest problem imo was he always paid loyal players. Which is why guys like j stew and d Williams had big contracts and probably why Kalil and Davis wouldn’t ever be cut yet Coleman was. Surprised he cut Johnson but then again he’s been done for 2 years.

I'm ok with what he's done so far.  I think that he will likely be replaced when ownership changes, but in his second stint the questionable decisions he's made haven't really cost the team much and he's been fairly active as far as patching up the holes in the roster.  People can point to the secondary as an issue and it remains one, but there's no way that Hurney is done there.  And it's not like he can snap his fingers and convince top-tier free agents to just sign with us--he's competing against 31 other teams for their services.

We need to get a solid replacement for Norwell.  I'm sure that will happen if the answer isn't already on the roster.  We need a CB now because of the Breeland thing, and that sucks but you can't hang that on Hurney.  We need a Safety and most of the good Safeties in FA are still out there.  And we need a #2 TE and there are options out there still.

I look forward to the draft, and think that by the time it rolls around we will have a solid roster that can be improved in a few places, but which we should not be afraid to enter the next season with.

There's no way to really judge Hurney fairly right now.  A GM puts together a team and that team is not assembled in one off-season.  This team is still more of a reflection of Gettleman than Hurney, and it won't really be Hurney's team until maybe next year or 2020.  By then, odds are he will be back on the radio and we'll have a new GM anyway.

• Pie 1

Pleasantly suprised

not much long term faith but setting us up to win next year to save their assess, i like whats going on

going all in for this year, because if we stumble they gone. 

Marty GMing in fear of his job. Seat hot AF. I like that. fug the future its bound to get blown up soon anyway

Edited by The Huddler

the thing about hurney is that i don't think he ever had an offseason that could be considered unjustifiably awful at the time save for 2010, and it's pretty well known that wasn't his fault.

it was several different things over the course of many years that snowballed and wound up with the team both stuck in cap hell and having a weirdly lopsided roster.  a couple of bad contracts that didn't seem bad at the time, bad drafts that nobody could truly know for sure about until years later, trades that didn't work out, etc.  it was a slow burn but it has to be looked at in totality.

basically get back to me in 10 years thx

• Pie 1