Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proudiddy

Batum Conundrum

Recommended Posts

 
 
So, we have all been trashing Batum all season and have all been eagerly looking to move on from him.  But, the comments range from similar sentiments as I just expressed to this quote Batum gave actually being directed at Dwight.  Someone in the comments said that this quote, combined with other recent interviews Batum has done recently seem to be taking shots at Dwight...  i haven't been keeping up with interviews or anything really once we blew our chances at the playoffs and I only really checked box scores at that point.  But, I criticized Dwight early and often this season until many here convinced me he wasn't the problem because he was producing.  I argued that his numbers couldn't be trusted because everywhere he's been since Orlando, his presence just had a negative effect on the locker room and team chemistry.  His hometown teammates reportedly celebrated when we traded for him.  I thought that spoke volumes...   but, many convinced me he wasn't the problem the further the year went along, and I bought in.  Even when I watched parts of games, he didn't seem to be pouting or trying to show anyone up like he did earlier in the year, so I figured our failures were for other reasons.

Now, reading some of the speculation in those comments, I'm worried our problems run deeper than just Batum, Marvin, MKG, Frank, not playing Monk, etc.  I've stated repeatedly, when we traded for Dwight I was certain, on paper, we were a top 4 team in the East.  Kemba has another great year, Dwight produces, but everyone else sucks...  how could that be?

Look, this team isn't talent-laden, but it was good enough for the upper-tier of the East, if they could play together.  If Dwight wore on his teammates, it doesn't fully excuse Batum's shitty season, but it makes me truly wonder if, outside of Clifford, was Batum the real problem?  I'm now concerned we may have to do a complete tear down outside of Kemba.  Or if it was really Dwight, do we move him and keep Batum?  Do we still move Batum?  Either way, I think both guys trade value is next to nothing, so we'd likely have to take an L on anything we move them for.  Your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:
Look, this team isn't talent-laden, but it was good enough for the upper-tier of the East, if they could play together.  If Dwight wore on his teammates, it doesn't fully excuse Batum's shitty season, but it makes me truly wonder if, outside of Clifford, was Batum the real problem?  I'm now concerned we may have to do a complete tear down outside of Kemba.  Or if it was really Dwight, do we move him and keep Batum?  Do we still move Batum?  Either way, I think both guys trade value is next to nothing, so we'd likely have to take an L on anything we move them for.  Your thoughts?

Dwight definitely produced and that's tricky. His production was great, but the usage on offense was way too high. I think Dwight would have been much better suited to lead the second unit and give MCW a stat stuffing force to feed while letting Kemba, Nic, etc operate with a healthy Cody at center. Look, I like Dwight, I think he was a difference maker and I sincerely believe that he got along well with the staff and the team. Maybe it's bc he was playing a ton, but idk. I just think that in today's NBA and based on where he is physically in his career, it doesn't make sense for him to be the 2nd option or option 1B behind Kemba. But, by all means, make him the complete focus of the bench unit. 

Batum was trash this season. Definitely not living up to the contract. And look, I get it. He missed the preseason with the elbow thing, but if you're getting $120M you have to produce. Poor shot selection, turnovers, etc. Unacceptable. 

Unfortunately, the NBA contracts are fully guaranteed and you can't just cut someone like you can in the NFL and get CAP relief. Dwight is technically an expiring so someone may want him in a trade, but he's expensive. This roster might be stuck for one more season unless Mitch is willing to deal Kemba in a salary dump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Batum has got to go....mkg and frank both suck too

i would keep Marvin and Cody for off the bench, Marvin would be a really good bench guy

no idea how to get a team to dump those guys on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard was a warrior, I can't blame him at all for this.

It was Clifford honestly.     More than Batum.     Guy is clueless and loves vets too much.       Even with Batum, this team with a better coach makes playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Batum is the problem. I watched at least 80% of the games this season and when Batum was out of the line up it was like watching a different team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Batum needs to look at a mirror.. Especially when talking about problems with the team..

Being 6'8 with his supposedly vast skill sets.. You should be more than a role player.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Maybe Batum needs to look at a mirror.. Especially when talking about problems with the team..

Being 6'8 with his supposedly vast skill sets.. You should be more than a role player.. 

Yeah, OP has for sure hated on Howard for far too long. Batum is fuging garbage. If Batum wasn't trash it would be a different story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did batum ever take a shot with less than 5 min left in the game?....he would just suddenly disappear 

he is a good guy off the bench...that’s it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a handful of lenses in which to view this team, but we need to find a way, any way, to rid ourselves of Batum regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a funny feeling in a few weeks/months we will discover Nic has been pushing for a trade out of the organization to a contender. 

I think between us being awful this year, Cliff getting canned and the addition of Dwight (who I think Nic just can't stand). 

Now before one of you jumps all over me, I'm not saying Batum is blameless in this. He had an awful season. I think it's best for both parties if we trade him. The question is to who? Who has the cap space to take him on? 

Chicago maybe? But they aren't a contender. The Blazers? Definitely could be. Maybe the Kings? Again terrible team. Phx? Maybe they could be on the upswing especially if they get the number one pick this year. 

It's just going to be hard to trade him unless we include Kemba in the deal. 

But in the end that's probably what's best for our franchise moving forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bull123 said:

Did batum ever take a shot with less than 5 min left in the game?....he would just suddenly disappear 

he is a good guy off the bench...that’s it

Still taking the L xxx

ThreeBagWebImage-350x200-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Batum is garbage and no one would want him. What would give him the right to demand a trade to a contender? His fat contract was a sign that he was supposed to make us a contender. He's lazy and unmotivated since he got that massive deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SOJA said:

I have a funny feeling in a few weeks/months we will discover Nic has been pushing for a trade out of the organization to a contender. 

I think between us being awful this year, Cliff getting canned and the addition of Dwight (who I think Nic just can't stand). 

Now before one of you jumps all over me, I'm not saying Batum is blameless in this. He had an awful season. I think it's best for both parties if we trade him. The question is to who? Who has the cap space to take him on? 

Chicago maybe? But they aren't a contender. The Blazers? Definitely could be. Maybe the Kings? Again terrible team. Phx? Maybe they could be on the upswing especially if they get the number one pick this year. 

It's just going to be hard to trade him unless we include Kemba in the deal. 

But in the end that's probably what's best for our franchise moving forward. 

Chicago wouldn't really need him, I think they're trending up with a solid young squad.  

He could return to RIP City.  I'd be willing to not get much in return; maybe just take on a mildly bad contract (Leonard) and a future 2nd.  We just need to free the cap and get better with subtraction.  

ATL could be interesting...they've got Tyler Dorsey in the development stage but outside of Collins and Schroeder, that team is sh*t and needs role players.  They've got the cap this offseason.  I'd be willing to send Batum for sprinkles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, davos said:

Chicago wouldn't really need him, I think they're trending up with a solid young squad.  

He could return to RIP City.  I'd be willing to not get much in return; maybe just take on a mildly bad contract (Leonard) and a future 2nd.  We just need to free the cap and get better with subtraction.  

ATL could be interesting...they've got Tyler Dorsey in the development stage but outside of Collins and Schroeder, that team is sh*t and needs role players.  They've got the cap this offseason.  I'd be willing to send Batum for sprinkles.

I agree if we can unload Batum without getting rid of Kemba I'd take a minimal return on him. His contract is just such an albatross. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SOJA said:

I have a funny feeling in a few weeks/months we will discover Nic has been pushing for a trade out of the organization to a contender. 

I think between us being awful this year, Cliff getting canned and the addition of Dwight (who I think Nic just can't stand). 

Now before one of you jumps all over me, I'm not saying Batum is blameless in this. He had an awful season. I think it's best for both parties if we trade him. The question is to who? Who has the cap space to take him on? 

Chicago maybe? But they aren't a contender. The Blazers? Definitely could be. Maybe the Kings? Again terrible team. Phx? Maybe they could be on the upswing especially if they get the number one pick this year. 

It's just going to be hard to trade him unless we include Kemba in the deal. 

But in the end that's probably what's best for our franchise moving forward. 

We could just suck it up and bring a $20m guy off the bench...that’s all he is, a good bench guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,420
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    wm2784
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      141,568
    • Total Posts
      4,517,253
×