Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

PhillyB

i bought a bike. where should i go

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I made that drive from Cheyenne to San Fransico...at least there's hills from Wyoming to Salt Lake City

I turned north at Rock Springs Wyoming.  The drive from the Colorado border to Rock Springs is nothing but flat brown dirt and antelopes. The landscape got far more interesting around the Wyoming/Idaho/Montana border.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 4/17/2018 at 2:20 PM, Anybodyhome said:

It's a little early and cool to hit the northern route, so here's the 10-day route I took from San Diego to Greensboro when I moved in 1992:

Yuma, Old Tucson, up 77 & 87 thru Tonto and Coconino National Forests to Winslow.

Petrified Forest National Park, up 491 to Canyons of the Ancients National Monument. 160 & 84 down to Santa Fe. Down to 40, gotta stop in Tucumcari and then to the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. Down to Wichita Falls.

Jump on 75 north to Muskogee and east to Ozark National Forest. After that it's up to you and the weather. Wanna head north to St. Louis and east to Louisville or go south into Memphis then to Nashville? I love St. Louis and think Nashville is really overrated, but that's me.

quality post

 

honestly, just hit any/every national park/forest you can on the way.  might as well see them while you still can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 10:35 AM, PhillyB said:

flew to san diego and picked up a cheap enfield bullet.

 

49152363-95C3-4552-A0F9-1B0D1162C6FA.jpeg

ran into a few maintenance hiccups off the bat, but i should be good. setting out from LA this afternoon. i have about a week to get it back to north carolina. the only thing set in stone is i want to take Route 66 and then drive up through monument valley.

what else is worth seeing? candidate states are utah, southern nevada, arizona, new mexico, oklahoma, kansas, colorado, nebraska, missouri, arkansas, iowa, illinois, kentucky, tennessee.

Hit the Dragon with it.  If need rental in this area lemme know.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the suggestions. i rode up through LA, out west through twentynine palms, up through arizona to the grand canyon, up into utah through monument valley, across colorado, and through kansas before running into major mechanical malfunctions that are gonna take longer to fix than i have time available before my return deadline. currently taking it home in a u-haul out of kansas city.

i'm bummed but i got to ride through all the fun western states so it's all good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should look at Harley Sportsters.  If you get one a few years old with some miles on it they are reasonable and reliable.  I’ve been eyeing something like this but I know I would only ride it occasionally so I just can’t justify the purchase yet.  

sportster-iron-883-gallery-1.jpg?impolic

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 5:31 PM, Doyle said:

You should look at Harley Sportsters.  If you get one a few years old with some miles on it they are reasonable and reliable.  I’ve been eyeing something like this but I know I would only ride it occasionally so I just can’t justify the purchase yet.  

sportster-iron-883-gallery-1.jpg?impolic

I had an 04 1200 model.  I can easily say that it was far and away the best bike I have every owned.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I had an 04 1200 model.  I can easily say that it was far and away the best bike I have every owned.  

My Dad had a 2000 full sized Dyna Superglide and I loved riding it but it's just more bike than I care to have.  I've never ridden a Sportster but I bet they are a blast.  All I want it for is riding country roads on the weekends and maybe an occasional trip to the beach or mountains.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Doyle said:

My Dad had a 2000 full sized Dyna Superglide and I loved riding it but it's just more bike than I care to have.  I've never ridden a Sportster but I bet they are a blast.  All I want it for is riding country roads on the weekends and maybe an occasional trip to the beach or mountains.   

It wasn't that good for long trips as it tended to be a little stiff, hard on the back.  But for local riding and the occasional 1-2 hour trip up to the mountains, it was wonderful.  But it was a good looking, and very reliable bike.  I am 6-3 and 240lbs, and it carried me well, even uphill.  My only complaint was that it had a lot of chrome, so I spent a lot of time cleaning it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

It wasn't that good for long trips as it tended to be a little stiff, hard on the back.  But for local riding and the occasional 1-2 hour trip up to the mountains, it was wonderful.  But it was a good looking, and very reliable bike.  I am 6-3 and 240lbs, and it carried me well, even uphill.  My only complaint was that it had a lot of chrome, so I spent a lot of time cleaning it. 

Yeah I'm 5'10' so it might fit me better.  I'm also looking to stay away from the chrome. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 5:31 PM, Doyle said:

You should look at Harley Sportsters.  If you get one a few years old with some miles on it they are reasonable and reliable.  I’ve been eyeing something like this but I know I would only ride it occasionally so I just can’t justify the purchase yet.  

sportster-iron-883-gallery-1.jpg?impolic

When I worked at the porn shop, this dude that worked there drove a sportster and thought he was bad ass...until a lesbian rolled up on a fat boy and we started making fun of him.

Edited by Porn Shop Clerk
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Porn Shop Clerk said:

When I worked at the porn shop, this dude that worked there drove a sportster and thought he was bad ass...until a lesbian rolled up on a fat boy and we started making fun of him.

Well I guess I better show those lesbians who’s boss then... I was making fun of someone who worked retail the other day and showed them my paycheck.  

Edited by Doyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Doyle said:

Well I guess I better show those lesbians who’s boss then... I was making fun of someone who worked retail the other day and showed them my paycheck.  

i don't think you get it. he acted like it made him 1970s cool and when she rolled up on that fat boy you could just see his fuging face drop.  also a dude that worked there used to put tassles on the handlebars to piss him off.  sparkly ones

it's a joke, not a dick, don't take it so hard

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i mean if you own a sportster because they're easy to handle and dependable and poo, that's no big.  but if you need a motorcycle to be a tough guy wannabe biker, it's all that much funnier when a lesbian rolls up in a sleeveless denim jacket on a much cooler bike, especially when they're eaten up with toxic masculinity

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

getting a sissy 500cc crossover prevents all forms of toxic masculinity

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but i've been riding 100cc japanese plastic in SEA for a decade so that was never rally an issue 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×