• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

For those who said slavery ended in 1865

Take a look at just one story of many who suffered, and continue to suffer to this day.

Think about this for a moment.  People say they would give reparations if there were any slaves alive today.  Well, sharecroppers were slaves.  They are still alive.  So that excuse, which was never a valid one anyway, is no longer an excuse.  The median net worth of black families in this country is $1,400-$1,700 without the family car and other depreciating assets.  We know why that is and therefore it must be addressed.  To continue to ignore this is giving the descendants of slaves a death sentence.  We refuse to be quiet about this issue for much longer.  People are waking up, particularly after seeing our first "black" president do nothing for us.  This American economy is about to burst with all these monopolies running around unregulated, and the wealth of the top 1% and the bottom 90% are equal. (A stat that hasn't been seen since the Great Depression)  Just about all of black America is in the bottom half of the bottom 90%.  We are not going to sit idly by perishing in prisons and poverty.  Not after all of our labor that built the wealth of this country.

Edited by Matthias
  • Pie 2

Just watched that entire piece, and admittedly, some of that was hard for me to sit through. As she was researching Mr Jefferies lineage, her going through and reading off the receipts were hard. Hard to believe there was a price attached to some of our ancestors, but there indeed was.

I believe this took place in parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. I lived in Mississippi, and it would not surprise me if some of this was still going on now in some of them rural towns. It didn’t surprise me when Mr Miller said it was going on all throughout the 40’s through 60’s. It was really chilling how he said reparations would be a start and help some things, but there’s just no helping or fixing others. The damage was/is just too great.

Going back to Mr Arthur, he reminds me of my granddaddy. From his complexion all the way down to how he speaks and articulates. My granddaddy is a man who doesn’t do much talking, and he’s pretty hard and thick skinned. As a kid, I used to wonder why he was so mean, but my grandmother would tell me that he’s just seen some things in his life and it’s shaped how he is currently. My great granddaddy was a sharecropper, and my grandad grew up working on the farm. He used to pick tobacco in Fairmount. He had 5 sisters. Two were ran off a road and killed by white supremacists and two more fell to alcohol, and died due to heavy drinking. He doesn’t know how to read, so I grew up watching my grandmother reading his mail to him. When he reads his bible, he’ll have tapes that read it to him but he’s an intelligent man. Spent years working for RJ Reynolds and retired from there. Worked his butt off to buy a home in Kernersville in the 60’s to house my grandmother and his 5 kids. Kernersville was no joke, either. I also know my grandad doesn’t trust white people at all, just by how he reacts around them and some of the things he’ll say. I remember growing up having white friends and telling my grandparents about it, he’d always tell me, “Aggie, don’t trust them white boys you’re around and be careful,” then he’d just go back quiet. 

Just a few stories from my dad illustrated that to me, as he said he started school right around the time of integration. Lol, he told me a story about how he lost his cool one day, as a little white girl called him a ni**er on the bus. Said he slapped the girl, and I just remember telling him, “daddy you’re lucky uou weren’t hanged.” They used to roam all throughout the countryside, and he’s said he’s seen KKK rally’s where they were burning a cross, and numerous other things.

My grandaddy, my dad, and all my past relatives deserve/deserved some form of reparations because what they’ve endured and seen has molded them in some part. They had to go and work 10x as hard to get where they are due to their skin color, plus the emotional trauma of what took place. Mr Miller and Jefferies, in that video, deserve reparations for the things they’ve seen and go through. All descendants of slaves in this country deserve reparations, as we are still under a white supremacist system and it’s affecting us still. What this lady is doing is some of Gods work. My brother and I just sent some dna samples to one of them ancestry websites. We want to know more about our people and where they came from, before they arrived in America. I’m betting it’s West Africa, but we want to know for sure; to find out the tribe we come from.

Great post Matthias! I love reading on talking on issues like reparations and such.

• Pie 3

i grew up in kernersville, i don't think it's changed much

• Pie 3

51 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Just watched that entire piece, and admittedly, some of that was hard for me to sit through. As she was researching Mr Jefferies lineage, her going through and reading off the receipts were hard. Hard to believe there was a price attached to some of our ancestors, but there indeed was.

I believe this took place in parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. I lived in Mississippi, and it would not surprise me if some of this was still going on now in some of them rural towns. It didn’t surprise me when Mr Miller said it was going on all throughout the 40’s through 60’s. It was really chilling how he said reparations would be a start and help some things, but there’s just no helping or fixing others. The damage was/is just too great.

Going back to Mr Arthur, he reminds me of my granddaddy. From his complexion all the way down to how he speaks and articulates. My granddaddy is a man who doesn’t do much talking, and he’s pretty hard and thick skinned. As a kid, I used to wonder why he was so mean, but my grandmother would tell me that he’s just seen some things in his life and it’s shaped how he is currently. My great granddaddy was a sharecropper, and my grandad grew up working on the farm. He used to pick tobacco in Fairmount. He had 5 sisters. Two were ran off a road and killed by white supremacists and two more fell to alcohol, and died due to heavy drinking. He doesn’t know how to read, so I grew up watching my grandmother reading his mail to him. When he reads his bible, he’ll have tapes that read it to him but he’s an intelligent man. Spent years working for RJ Reynolds and retired from there. Worked his butt off to buy a home in Kernersville in the 60’s to house my grandmother and his 5 kids. Kernersville was no joke, either. I also know my grandad doesn’t trust white people at all, just by how he reacts around them and some of the things he’ll say. I remember growing up having white friends and telling my grandparents about it, he’d always tell me, “Aggie, don’t trust them white boys you’re around and be careful,” then he’d just go back quiet. 

Just a few stories from my dad illustrated that to me, as he said he started school right around the time of integration. Lol, he told me a story about how he lost his cool one day, as a little white girl called him a ni**er on the bus. Said he slapped the girl, and I just remember telling him, “daddy you’re lucky uou weren’t hanged.” They used to roam all throughout the countryside, and he’s said he’s seen KKK rally’s where they were burning a cross, and numerous other things.

My grandaddy, my dad, and all my past relatives deserve/deserved some form of reparations because what they’ve endured and seen has molded them in some part. They had to go and work 10x as hard to get where they are due to their skin color, plus the emotional trauma of what took place. Mr Miller and Jefferies, in that video, deserve reparations for the things they’ve seen and go through. All descendants of slaves in this country deserve reparations, as we are still under a white supremacist system and it’s affecting us still. What this lady is doing is some of Gods work. My brother and I just sent some dna samples to one of them ancestry websites. We want to know more about our people and where they came from, before they arrived in America. I’m betting it’s West Africa, but we want to know for sure; to find out the tribe we come from.

Great post Matthias! I love reading on talking on issues like reparations and such.

Yep, and thanks for your story.  It needs to be heard.  My grandparents were sharecroppers here in South Carolina.  I think the common thinking when it comes to the era right after slavery, is that it wasn't as bad as slavery itself.  The truth is, it was just as bad.  It was because the government gave no land to the slaves, they had to go right back to the their former slave masters and work for them.  Can we imagine what that relationship was like, now that the slave master had to pay wages to his/her former slaves?  It was terrorism, and of course they force them to sign corrupt contracts.  If they didn't sign, they would be unemployed, which was a crime for black people in the South.

I also want to thank everyone here who are for reparations.  I know we had conversations about this over the years.  This must happen based on that data I see concerning black people's wealth standing.  The time to build wealth for most was during the early 1900s.  This was when the government was fighting for the people in the New Deal age.  That led up to the Greatest Generation and the Golden Age of American economics.  Black people were shut out of this period as a group.  It is now impossible to build wealth in this day and age, and we now live in a Gig Economy.  The only people who have a shot at building wealth and bettering themselves are those who already have it.  The only thing that will save the descendants of slaves is reparations, which would also have an effect on the nation for the better.(A return of the New Deal age)

Edited by Matthias
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I also want to thank everyone here who are for reparations.  I know we had conversations about this over the years.  This must happen based on that data I see concerning black people's wealth standing.  The time to build wealth for most was during the early 1900s.  This was when the government was fighting for the people in the New Deal age.  That led up to the Greatest Generation and the Golden Age of American economics.  Black people were shut out of this period as a group.  It is now impossible to build wealth in this day and age, and we now live in a Gig Economy.  The only people who have a shot at building wealth and bettering themselves are those who already have it.  The only thing that will save the descendants of slaves is reparations, which would also have an effect on the nation for the better.(A return of the New Deal age)

What do you think is a proper amount for reparations, and would it be in one lump sum or dispersed over time?

Wouldn't free college or technical training, and a period of more aggressive affirmative action policies work more efficiently for this problem than just giving a bunch of money away?

• Pie 1

White people can't really comprehend what it's like to not know where you came from. Almost all of us know our heritage, right down to the 1/64th Cherokee that validates the fact that they're obviously not a racist, and makes them just as oppressed as actual PoC, if not moreso.

• Pie 6
  • Poo 1

15 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

Wouldn't free college or technical training, and a period of more aggressive affirmative action policies work more efficiently for this problem than just giving a bunch of money away?

well that's conditional reparations. that's a loan. it's saying ok we'll try to make things right but only on our terms. it displays distrust. real reparations are unconditional. let them do whatever they want to because it's their money. money that they earned and created through generations of breaking their backs at the end of a gun.

i'm currently supporting a friend of mine who is going through tough times. i send their family money every week because they don't qualify for welfare or unemployment. it's very temping for me to pick up the phone and say 'hey i need to know, that money i just sent, you're spending that on healthy food and bills right and not xboxes?' but i don't do it because that's not my place. i'm not their parent, or their boss, i'm just helping someone i care about.

Edited by rodeo
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, rodeo said:

It's very temping for me to pick up the phone and say 'hey i need to know, that money i just sent, you're spending that on healthy food and bills right and not xboxes?' but i don't do it because that's not my place. i'm not their parent, or their boss, i'm just helping someone i care about.

It is your place. It is your money. Not theirs, you are taking your time spent earning money and giving it freely to someone else. You have that right as a friend.

I would assume if you are giving monetary value to a friend you would trust them enough not to spend it on vices and entertainment and not fug you over.

I get the part where its about "whats fair", but I am more concerned about "what is the end result". You give a ton of money away and nothing really changes, you are going to have a country unwilling to do anything else about the problem.

The reparations discussion is one where even liberals begin to tell on themselves.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

i've been thinking about the transfer of generational wealth and how that should be the focus when talking about reparations. it is admittedly difficult for many black americans to trace their history and definitively prove that they are the descendants of slaves. it's even harder to then provide a precise figure for the appropriate amount of reparations. these problems are seized upon by people who have absolutely no interest at all in correcting this country's awful legacy and making black americans whole. "how do we prove it? how much money should they get? can't we just give them scrip to use at community colleges instead? there are just so many questions! i don't know how it could ever be possible!"

i think it's better to estimate the total value added by the labor and lives stolen from black americans during and after slavery, adjusted for inflation. all capital accumulated via slavery and passed down is stolen property. all wealth. all the lands that slaves and sharecroppers worked. turn it all over to be distributed evenly. the same goes for native americans.

14 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

no. college should be free anyway but beyond that free college doesn't address the immediate, huge disparities in wealth. present income can change but it's actually an exceedingly inefficient solution to the actual problem. this proposal also doesn't account for the countless forms of discrimination that program participants would continue to face. free college and affirmative action won't stop banks and realtors from keeping communities segregated. it won't stop cops from conveniently "mistaking" cell phones and wallets for guns. it won't stop the courts from locking away black defendants and giving white defendants a relative pass for the same crimes. at it's absolute best, your proposal is a band-aid. i don't care to protect the feelings and bank accounts of those who live comfortably thanks to american genocide and slavery. hurt some feelings and drain bank accounts. as many as it takes. of course people will cry that it's unfair. is it? who cares? the same people who will trip over themselves to remind you that "life isn't fair" if you dare criticize the treatment of the marginalized in our society? fug them. it would certainly make society as a whole more fair. that's more than worth it imo.

Just now, cookinwithgas said:

I get the part where its about "whats fair", but I am more concerned about "what is the end result". You give a ton of money away and nothing really changes, you are going to have a country unwilling to do anything else about the problem.

how could you say "nothing" would change? of course things would change. but the plan shouldn't be limited to just "giving" (your word, not mine) a "ton of money away"; it should include a transfer of capital. the means of production. land, factories, wealth - all that was monetized or wouldn't have existed without slavery should be on the block. reparations would be revolutionary. it should be hard to envision within the current system because it would necessitate a new system. a completely restructured society. there are no liberal technocratic solutions. accept its revolutionary foundation or acknowledge that you are in no way supportive of meaningful reparations. liberals think of reparations as hush money to make the problem (righteous black resentment and guilty white consciences) go away. it's more than that.

• Pie 5

38 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

What do you think is a proper amount for reparations, and would it be in one lump sum or dispersed over time?

It would be an investment over time.  How I see it, it wouldn't be a monetary payment solely, but debt cancellation of current student loans, full tuition for the descendants of slaves the next 20 years or so, no interest home and business loans, etc.  I want a full mobilization of government resources to go into this.  As for the payment part, a figure around $20,000-$40,000 each would be a good negotiated start.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

It would be a hardcore investment into the descendants of slaves.  One that would span for years.  Ultimately it would be the beginning of transforming our government back into one that cares about the people.  It would end the reign of the super wealthy and take us back to an age where everyone can build wealth.

20 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It is your place. It is your money. Not theirs, you are taking your time spent earning money and giving it freely to someone else. You have that right as a friend.

I would assume if you are giving monetary value to a friend you would trust them enough not to spend it on vices and entertainment and not fug you over.

it's not my money, as soon as i hand it over it's their money. i'm not going to leverage myself as an authority over them to make sure they're spending their money in a way i see fit. i decided to help them, not to help them "on the condition that..."

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1