Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Recommended Posts

Over the past couple of years we have lost McDerrmott and Wilks and have promoted Washington to Defensive Coordinator.

If Washington runs a good defense he surely would be looked at, not necessarily hired but looked at, for a HC position. 

That leaves our defense barren of good coaches.   Who do you think would be next in line or some young coach to come in and learn under the master Rivera.

Rivera's coaching tree is growing but our internal defensive staff is barren.

Thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Wilks was a head coaching candidate before he was promoted to DC, I don't believe Washington is on the radar, we at least have him for two more seasons. 

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Verge said:

Wilks was a head coaching candidate before he was promoted to DC, I don't believe Washington is on the radar, we at least have him for two more seasons. 

That is true but the point is we once had three outstanding Ron Rivera disciples and now we are down to one.  

If Washington gives us a Top 5 defense,  and that isn't out of the realm of possibility, he could very well be gone after one season.

The question is, who steps up next.  All his previous disciples will be gone.

Blackburn?  He's a former linebacker and played for Rivera as a Panther for a couple of seasons

Sam Mills III is more of a permanent member of our staff but I don't see him as someone we put in charge of the defense.

 

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Verge said:

Wilks was a head coaching candidate before he was promoted to DC, I don't believe Washington is on the radar, we at least have him for two more seasons. 

And McD was also highly rated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDermott and Will's both came from outside the organization so the notion we should hire from within only applies if we have a candidate like Washington who is very qualified to move up. But many DCs for most teams  come from outside of the organization. So this angst is really offseason worry for no reason. And there will be plenty of options if Washington leaves one day.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The panthers d hasn’t even played a snapped under Washington and there are folks already looking for his replacement when he bolts for a head coaching gig next year. Good grief. Y’all may be wanting to run him out of town by week 6 this year. Can we get another anthem protest or new uniform thread? 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure we'll have a player or two retire by then..........

and we all know everyone loves to bring them back as coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

Im sure we'll have a player or two retire by then..........

and we all know everyone loves to bring them back as coaches.

Don't know how long he would play or if he is interested in coaching but who would object if Kuechly wanted to eventually be our DC after starting off as linebacker coach. Who is more a student of the game then he is.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too worried about the defense because Rivera is basically the defensive coordinator. Having Norv around now you basically have two head coaches on each side of the ball. But I agree that the assistants have sure been leaving in droves on the defensive side of the ball and we have to hope they can replace the guys they left. I'm not too worried, Rivera has shown he's a great teacher to coaches, evidenced by his growing coaching tree.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

McDermott and Will's both came from outside the organization so the notion we should hire from within only applies if we have a candidate like Washington who is very qualified to move up. But many DCs for most teams  come from outside of the organization. So this angst is really offseason worry for no reason. And there will be plenty of options if Washington leaves one day.

Never did I say I was worried.   Good God.... Amazing how everyone turns a topic into some sort of drama.  It is an offseason topic.  You know something to discuss.  You can only discuss Tepper and the MF statue so much. 

McDermott and Rivera worked together before and Wilks worked with Rivera in San Diego.   While McDermott may be a cross between Jimmy Johnson and Rivera.  Wilks has a strong Rivera flavor.

   When you start bringing in DC from outside the organization you lose some continuity.  One of the reasons we have had success year after year on defense is because continuity.   Coaches that worked and understood Rivera's philosophy.

I would like to see new meat under Rivera.  You may or may not believe it but Rivera is a damn good defensive mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SingleMalt said:

Im sure we'll have a player or two retire by then..........

and we all know everyone loves to bring them back as coaches.

I think TD would be an amazing coach.   He is so smart.   I am sure he knows this defense inside and out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think TD would be an amazing coach.   He is so smart.   I am sure he knows this defense inside and out.

The very best at their position, often make the worst coaches.

TD is smart, as is Luke...but more than that, they are physical freaks, and their instincts are top notch.  Those guys just don't understand why others can't see what they see, or do what they do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

The very best at their position, often make the worst coaches.

TD is smart, as is Luke...but more than that, they are physical freaks, and their instincts are top notch.  Those guys just don't understand why others can't see what they see, or do what they do.

 

Good Point.....but most of these guys understand the entire defense not just their position.

But to your point not many HOFer's became good coaches.  Mike Singletary was probably the best and he was mediocre at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×