• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

MGM Resorts is Suing Las Vegas Shooting Victims - Claiming no Liability

So here it is, we now have a company suing the victims of Stephen Paddock's mass shooting from the Mandalay Bay Hotel.  They aren't suing for money, but are trying to protect themselves from being sued by the victims.

My first thought is, this is what unchecked capitalism looks like.  Where companies have all the power over individuals and can get away with pretty much anything.  No liability?  You let this dude get away with bringing in an cache of weapons!  Dude thought he was the Terminator with all the weapons he had stashed.  Take a look at this.....

Now how is it possible he can bring all those bags into the hotel, and no one takes notice?  Listen, show me a bunch of people who brings that many bags into a hotel.  Show me where that is normal, everyday activity, and maybe I can listen to the case of the hotel having no liability.  Yet what we see here is these money loving corporations, looking for every loophole they can to dodge responsibility.  This is the way it's going folks.  This is how wealth is calcifying to the top.  You see it in how companies treat their workers, and you see it in how they treat victims of a tragedy under their watch.

Edited by Matthias

Well, having worked at airports & higher end hotels in the past, various professional & amateur athletes tend to travel with that much crap. Off the top of my head, baseball/softball, golf, hockey, competitive shooters. Then there's professions like sales,  vendors with merchandise & swag for conventions (my wife is a costume designer & the amount of bags she carries to cons dwarfs what he had), etc...

Having said that, such events would be known to the hotel staff. I imagine (& I'm not a lawyer) that it's going to come down to some kind of reasonable expectation type thing & that's really hard to prove in a case like this. 

Or women. Anybody going anywhere with a woman for any length of time will have a fug load of crap.  

18 minutes ago, 332nd said:

Well, having worked at airports & higher end hotels in the past, various professional & amateur athletes tend to travel with that much crap. Off the top of my head, baseball/softball, golf, hockey, competitive shooters. Then there's professions like sales,  vendors with merchandise & swag for conventions (my wife is a costume designer & the amount of bags she carries to cons dwarfs what he had), etc...

Having said that, such events would be known to the hotel staff. I imagine (& I'm not a lawyer) that it's going to come down to some kind of reasonable expectation type thing & that's really hard to prove in a case like this. 

Yeah, for those types of events, the staff would expect a lot of luggage.  Yet this guy kept bringing in luggage over a period of days, never leaving with the luggage.

13 minutes ago, tondi said:

Or women. Anybody going anywhere with a woman for any length of time will have a fug load of crap.  

I never been with a woman that had 20+ bags of luggage.  She wealthy than a mug.  Ultimately, red flags should have been raised with this guy.

3 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Yeah, for those types of events, the staff would expect a lot of luggage.  Yet this guy kept bringing in luggage over a period of days, never leaving with the luggage.

True, I'm actually surprised that didn't raise any flags. We had a Vegas honeymoon, weren't even close to whales, & several of the staff knew us on sight.

• Pie 1

Thousands of people pass through a hotel lobby in Vegas. The check in lady is not going to notice people walking in and out with bags and there is no reasonable expectation that they would.

I have certainly had dealers and such get to know me pretty well over a trip but I only interact with the check in lady once and that is for like 5 minutes.

• Pie 1

@332nd

When I am doing video work I can travel with upwards of six sizable bags alone. 

When I’m on a small crew. We easily have 20-25 bags.

• Pie 1

There's no law against how many bags one can have.  I don't blame MGM at all, they're covering their ass against.  It's Las Vegas, I"m sure hotel staff see a lot more eye opening stuff that some dude with a bunch of bags.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Harbingers said:

@332nd

When I am doing video work I can travel with upwards of six sizable bags alone. 

When I’m on a small crew. We easily have 20-25 bags.

Yep, that's another good example. 

5 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

Thousands of people pass through a hotel lobby in Vegas. The check in lady is not going to notice people walking in and out with bags and there is no reasonable expectation that they would.

I have certainly had dealers and such get to know me pretty well over a trip but I only interact with the check in lady once and that is for like 5 minutes.

No, but the houseman, maintenance,  and cleaning ladies should. If someone left a "Do Not Disturb" on their door and didn't want service for 2-3 days, we'd trip a breaker and go see why the AC wasn't working, just to see what was going on in there.

15 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

No, but the houseman, maintenance,  and cleaning ladies should. If someone left a "Do Not Disturb" on their door and didn't want service for 2-3 days, we'd trip a breaker and go see why the AC wasn't working, just to see what was going on in there.

Sounds like BS but I have never worked in hospitality. When I am on business my DND stays on the whole time. I guess i will set up a camera next time I travel on business as that is disgusting if that is really what you do.

• Beer 1

You don't want your room cleaned or your sheets changed? Look closely at the paperwork you sign, "Do Not Disturb" means just that. You won't be bothered while you're in your room. But if management feels the need to go in, they will. You are renting a room, you don't own it.

10 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

You don't want your room cleaned or your sheets changed? Look closely at the paperwork you sign, "Do Not Disturb" means just that. You won't be bothered while you're in your room. But if management feels the need to go in, they will. You are renting a room, you don't own it.

So management thinks a DND sign on a door is reason to go in the room? That just feels slimy. And why do you need to trip a breaker? If what you are doing is above board why do you need to create an alibi?

I worked in a ~1000 room hotel and convention center for the better part of a decade and there is no fuging way anyone working there could be reasonably expected to notice that.

My understanding is that this guy was a regular for years, did all kinds of ridiculous stuff, and didn't even register a blip on the "that's weird, even for Vegas" meter.  Now everyone's going to come in yet again and MMQB this thing like so many others? 

It's like you guys are screaming for even more of a police state than what we've already got.  While you're talking about the security concerns that should have been addressed in this clear one-off, why don't you guys whip out your magic wands and divine for us what else is coming down the pike that we need to lock down?