Photo
- - - - -

Steve Smith probably lost the game.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

And just typing that hurt a lot (look at my avatar, after all).

His hold on the last FG drive was not only amazingly obvious, but even a little cheap (he had successfully blocked the defender from the play, because the guy couldn't even see beyond his shoes Steve was pulling him so hard).

Without that hold, the defender might have gotten to DeAngelo a little bit sooner, but Kasay's FG would have been a bit shorter (and from the looks of how close it was, would have gone through).

Oh, and I am a bit ticked at Kalil for muffing the snap. That play was not designed as a run at all (or if it was, it was a delayed handoff.) DeAngelo looked a bit surprised to have the ball in his hands, but Delhomme was trying to salvage the play.

#2 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

Yea but poo happens and you get over it. The refs decided to call things in the second and not the first. It was going on on both sides.

#3 hdevonxz

hdevonxz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:17 AM

what if what if what if

#4 Scutty

Scutty

Huddle Kiwi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

No one player can be singled out for losing the game not unless it reall was that bad and Smitty's holding wasn't THE single game defining moment

#5 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,383 posts

Oh Lord...not this...just when I thought we weathered the storm...

#6 Rusty Harris

Rusty Harris

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I can,t blame smitty for that blatent hold, the dam yellow flags were superglued to the refs for most of the game! He prolly figured it was going to be overlooked like all the other penalties.

#7 George Shinnsplints

George Shinnsplints

Franchise Destroyer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:19 AM

Several plays/mistakes along the way probably lost the game (or won it from the Giants). This was one of them. Dumb behavior by Steve on the play, and costly, but he's earned quite a bit of slack from Panther fans in 2008, imo. Still love him.

#8 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:19 AM

Smith probably lost us the game because of his penalty.

Kasay probably lost us the game because of his miss.

The defensive line probably lost us the game because of their laughable attempts at tackling Ward.

The secondary probably lost us the game because Eli was able to pick them apart on every key 3rd and long.

Jake probably lost us the game because of his poor throws in the second half and overtime.

The coaches probably lost us the game because of their horrible predictable playcalling.

The Panthers probably lost us the game because they got outplayed in the second half in all facets.

#9 Scutty

Scutty

Huddle Kiwi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:21 AM

We lost because Jake called heads at the OT coin toss and it came down tails

#10 George Shinnsplints

George Shinnsplints

Franchise Destroyer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

We lost because Jake called heads at the OT coin toss and it came down tails

Cute, but no for several reasons.

#11 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• HUDDLER
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

Wtf

We still had a chance to pick up 6 for a 1st down to get closer

We decided to run and let Kasay kick a long one

#12 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

As it is probably well known i HATE Steve Smith passionately. He's a despicable human being but he didn't lose this game. Giving up 300 yards rushing lost the game.

#13 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,817 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

This team matched the Giants stride-for-stride up until the very end, and we could have definitely beat them.

The problem was, the wind, probably more than anything else, cost us the game. Kasay had that drilled in, it was a beautiful kick, but the wind just hooked it, you could almost say it took the win away from us.

Moreover, as much as we matched them, the Giants made every single big play they needed to and then some, if that punt that pinned us at the one, if that guy misses the punt to knock it out of the endzone, we probably would've scored points on that drive. The Giants needed their two point conversion, they got that. We mess up a snap, Smith holds somebody. The Giants make the right plays at the right time, they get what they need, they've been doing it since last season. This team will need to learn how to do that if they are going to compete.

The run defense was just piss poor because our interior line could not eat up the space to allow Beason to make that tackle. Too many times the linemen were able to get up to block our linebackers, and it resulted in big run play after big run play. I expect great attention to be paid to that area in the offseason, regardless of the results of this season.

#14 Scutty

Scutty

Huddle Kiwi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:28 AM

Cute, but no for several reasons.

:lol:

I'm just glad no-one took that seriously :P

#15 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:32 AM

I was surprised at the lack of flags in the game. it's not because there weren't any penaltys, but Walt Coleman's crew has been known to hold onto their whistles. I saw some blatant holdings on Pep (but when isn't that the case?)

And, just to clarify, I still love Smitty, but man I wish he'd picked a better spot to hold for eight freaking seconds. (Seriously, go watch the replay, it's painfully obvious).

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com