• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

ladypanther

What did we learn from the 4th preseason game?

1 hour ago, OceanPanther said:

We learned that Kyle Allen is on the team.   He was  25/ 36    250 yrd,   1 TD .   Hadn't seen the field all preseason.

The coaches were letting Allen audition for other teams.

That the coaches already knew , or know , who our back up QB is. 

That there was no competition between Heinicke and Gilbert, because the coaches had seen enough in one quarter each.

Now that could mean a few things..  They already knew who was going to be the back up.  Or worse, we're keeping both Heinicke and Gilbert.  Or cutting all , and will just pick up some one cut by other teams ( I don't think that will happen. )

I'm not comfortable with our back up QB situation.   We are in a WIN NOW situation with the key players on this team.  We can't afford to have Cam  go down for a game or two.

Hated seeing E Hood getting carted off. 

Game was really hard to watch..   The roughing the passer calls were tough to accept.

Gilbert never got a fair shake. He did a good job in the first preseason game, never threw a pick and has a great arm. But Heinicke is Norv’s guy. He was gonna get it all along. 

I thought Allen was OK. Literally everyone who says he should be the backup believes West Virginia is gonna lose to muh Vols #VFL

1 hour ago, jtm said:

Agree that the QB play was bad and is concerning, but it is no worse than Anderson. If Cam goes down our season is over anyway, so I’m not sure it really matters 

I've seen this premise repeatedly when discussing the back up QB, and I'd like to challenge it.

With how competitive the NFC looks overall, and even more so how competitive the division looks to be, the difference between sitting home at 9-7 and making the playoffs at 10-6  could be a single game. Yes, if Cam misses multiple games, the season is likely lost. What you need is a back up QB who can win a game or two if Cam gets dinged and I'm not confident the Panthers have some one capable on the roster today. 

• Pie 1

Bonnafon deserves  chance to play... maybe not on our team... but he played with heart last night. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Players who won't make the squad aren't as good as those who will.

Go on...

8 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Till fourth or five rb for Pittsburgh knock him in the air when he ran in for the TD.

He was off balance---

8 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Adam Bisnowaty is pretty good 

THANK YOU! I saw that too.  He seemed very solid at RT....

The fourth game is like panning for gold--you get mud most of the time...Bright spots:

OL Depth--the guards were pretty poor at times, but OT Bisnowaty and C Friend played fairly well.  Note that Mahon played sparingly--so our depth is coming together.  Wharton on  staff seems to be paying off,

RB --We have a stable full of RBs...CAP, Barner could make the team.  Bonnafon may have earned a spot on the PS

DE:  We have a good problem to have at DE and WR.  While I get the Obada hysteria, you have to look at the big pic.  Haynes has a roster spot.  Cox probably does too.  Hall is a third rounder who was IR'd last year and shows a flash once in a while---too early to give up on him.  Obada does not cost us a spot on the PS if he stays there.  He is 26, so iit could be the best thing for him--he'd never get a jersey on game day, so a roster spot is unlikely.

Secondary --I know the secondary got burned last night, but they have no chemistry and they were facing a hot QB and some bad refs.  I would say the bright spot was S Cox.  Doss could win a jersey.  Gunter is a penalty machine. Elder was lost a few times, but he is a gamer.

LB I like our situation at LB---Carter was a head scratcher on draft day, but they may have found Shaq's replacement when he takes TD's spot.  I like A Smith.    I like Norrris.  Mayo was good. f It will be interesting to see what they do with Jacobs.

QB Heinicke separated himself from the rest of the pack at QB.   Still would not be shocked to see a QB added to the roster.

TE Baylis showed he can catch the ball.  To me, and it depends on what you think our needs are, he emerged as the #3 TE, if we keep 3.  (Armah has TE experience).

SOOOO, what we do at DE , RB, and LB will be interesting.  If I am other teams, I am watching those cuts too...

PRACTICE SQUAD:  I see C Friend, DE Obada,  LB A. Smith, QB Allen, CB Luke, RB Bonnafon, WR Duke,  WR Frazier,  S Cox,  DB A. Carter, DT Norton

Edited by MHS831

9 hours ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

we're definitely not a playoff team. Even given the fact we only played 2nd and 3rd stringers, this game shows we have no depth at any position. if one key guy goes down, we're done for. 

i'm so outraged right now. i'm thinking about jumpin ship. 6-10 if we're lucky, but I'm thinking more along the lines of 4-12 or 5-11. 

Wow. The rams and falcons lost badly in almost all their preseason games. You think they are worried?

10 hours ago, cptx said:

Ed Hochuli has a son that refs just as bad as he did

Only difference is that junior doesn’t have the guns yet that Ed liked to flex every Sunday while giving his five minute diatribe explaining offsetting penalties.  What a camera whore.  

2 hours ago, jtm said:

Learned that the Huddle will say nothing when Moore and Byrd are nonexistent against a bunch of back ups but will call for Smith to be cut after a vet has a slow preseason game against starters

Their situations are different. Moore is a rookie first rounder. Byrd has caught five of his seven targets this preseason (the only two misses being uncatchable balls). Torrey is one of three, with two drops.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Gilbert never got a fair shake. He did a good job in the first preseason game, never threw a pick and has a great arm. But Heinicke is Norv’s guy. He was gonna get it all along. 

I thought Allen was OK. Literally everyone who says he should be the backup believes West Virginia is gonna lose to muh Vols #VFL

I agree with this. Don't know if Heinicke was gonna get it all along, but Gilbert didn't get a fair shake (especially this last game). Heinicke played well into the second quarter (to finish up the drive he started). Gilbert played with a more shaky O Line (the penalty by Clausell put him in a tough position), and didn't get a chance to start slow. BUT I think his skills (quick decisions, strong arm) will translate better to the real games.

I can't see Heinicke outrunning first teamers to the pylon (but I could be wrong).

40 minutes ago, mrknowitall said:

Their situations are different. Moore is a rookie first rounder. Byrd has caught five of his seven targets this preseason (the only two misses being uncatchable balls). Torrey is one of three, with two drops.

Calling both of those as drops for Smith is a bit harsh...one of those was over the wrong shoulder and most WRs would not make that catch.

The Huddle has a love affair with Byrd and I understand he went to South Carolina, but he has done nothing in the pros to prove that he is anything other than an average return guy and average to below average back-up.  Last night against guys that will not make most NFL rosters, he essentially did nothing.  In college, his biggest year was 575 yards and most years he only had a couple hundred yards receiving.    

Smith's worst year in the pros is leaps and bounds better than what Byrd has ever done as a receiver in college or the pros.