Photo
- - - - -

Soccer....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,712 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

OK soccer fans, no offense here, but what gives? What is the attraction to the sport? I have given it a chance here and there and can't last more than 10 minutes. What makes you like soccer? Hockey, I love. Football, I love. Baseball, I love. Basketball, I watch. Golf, is awesome. Soccer....I just can't get into it. Dudes are always taking dives and rolling around holding their shins. The rest is like watching a cross country meet.

I took some customers from the U.K. out to dinner and there was a football game on. They couldn't stand football because of the start-and-stop pace of the game. Yet soccer is just endless running.

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 27 October 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#2 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Sith Bewbie Padawan....

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

Maybe if we ignore it, it'll go away. Sorta like the metric system did and hopefully the Euro...

#3 Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:27 PM

You need to play the sport to really appreciate it. Don't watch MLS though. MLS is poo. European Leagues are better, more competitive, and there are more talented players. I play soccer, but mainly watch the world cup and other national tournaments when they come around.

And yeah, diving is so annoying.

Baseball on the other hand, now there's a boring sport to watch. Nothing ever happens...EVER. A guy comes up to bat, gets striked out. Another one gets up to bat, strikes out. One finally hits the ball, they catch it and he's out... Nothing ever changes, not even the highlights.

#4 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Sith Bewbie Padawan....

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Curling>>>>>>>Soccer

#5 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

If you haven't played it, you can't understand it. It's very much like baseball in that respect.

I'd imagine that a Brit watching the Buffalo-Cleveland game recently would probably post a similar question in respect to "American Football."

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

Totally agree on you have to play it to get it. I think the two big reasons Americans don't like it is so little scoring but one other reason not many mention.
It's one of the few sports if maybe the only one, where sometimes it pays to go BACKWARDS.
Maybe in football you go back to get away from tacklers but we know how that ends up but look at all the sports.
Baseball. 1st base, 2nd base etc. Hoops. Backcourt is a violation.
NASCAR. Circles going forward.
Diving. Uhh... Hunting. That would hurt. Bowling, but I have seen some drunks go back.
Golf. See bowling.

#7 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,712 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

I mean, I played when I was young. I understand the rules. The low scoring thing really doesn't factor in because I enjoy baseball and hockey and the Panthers.

#8 TheSaint

TheSaint

Lengthy Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

I watch soccer. I get it. Enjoy it. Never once played it. I might not understand all the nuances like positioning etc....over all game strategy, but i still like it.

Now road bike racing, thats one you have to do to get. For the most part.

ed: i must add, MLS accepted. Dont watcch that stuff.

Edited by TheSaint, 27 October 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#9 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

Basically, it's not the instant gratification that you get from most sports. It's a game of give and take, sometimes slowly, sometimes fast-paced, sometimes not so much.

#10 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you???

• HUDDLER
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:16 AM

soccer= poo

football
racing
snowmachining
motorcross
UFC
screwing

yup- pretty much soccer is a pretty boy bitch sport

#11 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,340 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

I like soccer. But I mostly only watch the world cup. There isn't anything like it in all of professional sports. Think college sports on a world-wide level. They play with the same passion and pride. Can't wait for the next one next summer.

Baseball is fuging boring and I played it.

#12 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

I'm sure it's great excercise and a 'team' sport but I have never gotten into a sport where the final score is 1-0 or 2-1. :rolleyes:

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

I mean, I played when I was young. I understand the rules. The low scoring thing really doesn't factor in because I enjoy baseball and hockey and the Panthers.

:lol:

I agree with Smoot (did I just say that out loud?)... soccer is about on the level of baseball for me... I've played both, and baseball a lot growing up, but watching it is not for me... yeah, I can watch the World Series, and I can watch the World Cup if the US is playing, but that's about it... just too hard to get into.

#14 Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:38 AM

soccer= poo

football
racing
snowmachining
motorcross
UFC
screwing

yup- pretty much soccer is a pretty boy bitch sport

Spoken from a true, stuck up football/baseball jock, right?

I f**king hate when people say that.

#15 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

Go find a bar that is full of English fans watching the World Cup next summer and you will love the sport. If you're in Charlotte Jack's is a good spot.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com