Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible move to the Charlotte area

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah, Eastover can be pricy. Try Grier Heights. Its close to Cotswold.

Isn't Grier Heights behind Loopys? If so I'm pretty sure thats one of the worst places in Charlotte for crime.

Posted

It is. It has some decent older homes, but I personally wouldn't want to live there. My whole reason for wanting to live in the older neighborhoods is because they often have walking access to some amenities. Grier Heights doesn't really have that.

As for suburban neighborhoods, I actually like the Blakeney area. There are a good bit of neighborhoods right off of Rea Rd that have access to pedestrian paths and are easily within walking distance of restaurants and shops. It's always nice on a nice spring/summer/fall day to go for a walk rather than get into the car to drive half a mile down the street. You have two grocery stores, two targets, and a decent amount of independent restaurants in this area.

Posted

No one has asked where you will be working. What part of town?

That I'm not sure of yet. The move is not definate yet. To not mention any corporate names I work for a large communication company. There are several positions I put in for so I'm not sure exactly where they are. Only know that they are in the Charlotte area.

Posted

That I'm not sure of yet. The move is not definate yet. To not mention any corporate names I work for a large communication company. There are several positions I put in for so I'm not sure exactly where they are. Only know that they are in the Charlotte area.

Grier Heights was a joke.

To be serious, there are a lot of factors to consider. Where you will be working, what you want to spend on rent/mortgage, what size home you want, what you want to do recreationally, etc.

I had always lived in the burbs, but to be honest, the towns i lived in previously didnt have much to offer "in town". We ended up buying near downtown, in an older house with no garage, and paying more than i wanted or thought i would ever pay. We dont regret it. We've really enjoyed living in the city.

Posted

I'd reccomend Matthews. Even though the area has grown a TON since I lived around there, it's still got kind of a small town feel. Unless you're a six figure income kinda guy, then I'd reccomend South Charlotte around the Ballantyne/Providence CC area.

Posted

South Charlotte, but inside the 485 loop if you want to avoid complete suburbia.

I've always like the area between Providence Rd. and Sardis north of 51. Its not as new and flashy as the new crappy South Char areas, but not as ritzy ditzy as Myers Park.

For just outside of the city, look at Tega Cay. I'd have to agree with who mentioned that earlier.

Well that's my input.

Posted

Honestly I'd say hop the border and live in SC around Lake Wylie. The schools in Clover, Fort Mill, and Tega Cay are great. You gey WAYYYY more house for your money and lower taxes. Much lower crime too.

It's a longer communte and a slower lifestyle as you'll have to drive into the cities on weekends but really the pros outweigh the cons by alot.

Lake Wylie is a really hot area for real estate, your home should gain value over the years.

Posted

We would probably prefer a country setting

Posted

We would probably prefer a country setting

Then I would REALLY consider hopping the border to SC, although the development is moving in fast where I live. I still saw cows on my way to school but i was only 25 mins from the stadium.

The charlotte metro area is a a big ever consuming blob of planned communities and massive planned shopping centers and buisness parks. These huge development firms grab up land quickly so your probably going to have to live further than the spot my parents chose 20 years ago. It's really an eyesore because there is no variety and this big blob really lacks personality.

I'm totally biased towards SC but if your close enough to the border you really get all the pros of each state. All the oppurtunity and entertainment of NC with the quiet and simple life of SC.