Photo
- - - - -

Carolina versus Belmont Abbey 57-31 half

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Carolina may have looked bad in the scrimmage, but they are looking decent right now. Not good enough to win a national championship but not as bad as some would have you believe.

First off, this is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. That said, by the end of this year, I could see this team as being one of the best defensive teams ever for UNC. The frontline is about as deep and good as any front line that I've ever seen at UNC, and I've been watching since I was a kid around 1980 or so. The Wears look better than I thought they would be. Henson is thin but he definitely has a high upside. Zeller is bigger and runs the court better than just about anyone on the team. Thompson is Thompson.

There were definitely some chemistry issues though. But that's to be expected with so many new players being worked in. And Ty will definitely be missed this year, because nobody on this team is as fast and quick (although Strickland isn't too far behind). Marcus played quite a bit of PG (when Drew was out) and he didn't look too bad. I didn't see many 3 point shots, but to be honest, with this frontcourt UNC should pound it inside every chance they get.

#2 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

What about Belmont Abbey? How are they looking this year?

#3 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

Like your mom....only hotter.

#4 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

lol Belmont Abbey probably doesn't have a player above 6'5 on their team

#5 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

Final score 107-59.

The strengths of this team: post scoring, rebounding, defense.

Weaknesses: sometimes sloppy passing, little dribble penetration (relatively speaking), 3 point shooting.

I think UNC will be good enough as the year goes on to contend for 1st place in the ACC and at least a sweet 16 (hopefully more).

#6 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

lol Belmont Abbey probably doesn't have a player above 6'5 on their team

2 of there players are 6'8. Doesn't matter though. UNC will score inside at will against dook and any other team they face.

#7 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

Heard the Wear twins looked very good and one of them hit a three. I think the biggest problem for this team will be 3 point shooting. They won't be a great FT shooting team either, but that will probably not cost them games.

#8 love2hateroy

love2hateroy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Some entertaining tweets from "tarheelfanblog" during the game.

Drew looks shaky at point. Heels are sloppy in general on offense and have committed 11 turnovers in one half.

Henson is 1-6 from the FT line with two air balls. That's not good.

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Free throw shooting is definitely not a strong point for this team...but Thompson had 25 pts. 8 boards, Drew had 8 assists to only 3 turnovers, and John Henson had 4 blocks (team total 13). Overall first impressions are generally favorable to me. This team will be a force come March, mark my words. I don't expect they'll make the final four, or even elite 8, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. With the tough schedule that UNC has, I expect a couple of losses before ACC play because that's when they'll be trying to gel as a team. If they do gel, the sky is the limit.

BTW...12 players played at least 12 minutes and the most minutes played by anyone was Deon Thompson at 21 minutes. That rotation will change drastically by the time the ACC season starts.

#10 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

Yes stats looked good except shooting the ball. It's pretty easy to dominate a team like Belmont Abbey on the inside when their tallest player is 6'8". You just throw the ball in and score. That is how Drew had 8 assts. You guys are the same ones that said scrimmage games don't mean anything, and now this glorified scrimmage against no talent at all has everyone is excited. You will run into a real problem when you match up with a team that has bigs because you don't have shooters. Just remember it was Belmont Abbey.

Edited by bigcatdaddy, 07 November 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#11 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:41 AM

Final score 107-59.

The strengths of this team: post scoring, rebounding, defense.

Weaknesses: sometimes sloppy passing, little dribble penetration (relatively speaking), 3 point shooting.

I think UNC will be good enough as the year goes on to contend for 1st place in the ACC and at least a sweet 16 (hopefully more).

So you come to this conclusion after watching them play Belmont Abbey? You guys don't have anyone to shoot the ball. Two words for you zone defense.

#12 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

So you come to this conclusion after watching them play Belmont Abbey? You guys don't have anyone to shoot the ball. Two words for you zone defense.

ahh the precious zone defense.....Carolina runs it every year, and every year gets destroyed by the 3 point shot, that is why they run more man to man. The ACC is too good at outside shooting to rely on zone defense.

This game means nothing to me except for it is a win.....Drew is garbage, I said it last year and I am sticking by my words. They need to get somebody more experience throughout the year and replace Drew as a starter, he reminds me of Quinton Thomas v2.0

#13 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

ahh the precious zone defense.....Carolina runs it every year, and every year gets destroyed by the 3 point shot, that is why they run more man to man. The ACC is too good at outside shooting to rely on zone defense.

This game means nothing to me except for it is a win.....Drew is garbage, I said it last year and I am sticking by my words. They need to get somebody more experience throughout the year and replace Drew as a starter, he reminds me of Quinton Thomas v2.0

My whole point is UNC has no one to shoot the ball so you pack it in on their bigs and make them beat you from the outside. I will take my chances with Drew and Ginyard shooting the ball before I let Thompson, and Davis go wild on the inside.

#14 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

My whole point is UNC has no one to shoot the ball so you pack it in on their bigs and make them beat you from the outside. I will take my chances with Drew and Ginyard shooting the ball before I let Thompson, and Davis go wild on the inside.

ehh Carolina has never been a deadly 3 point shooting team.....sure they have had Ellington, Lawson(Who came on late as a shooter), McCants, and Felton(Again came on late as a shooter), and Green (Junior year)

The only true shooters Carolina has had over the past few years has been McCants and Ellington.....Some will say Green, but he was god awful at his outside shot until his Junior year, Felton really didn't hit his stride until his Junior year because he busted his ass at making the outside shot better, and Lawson who was a decent shooter his Sophmore year was much better his last season also

From what I have reserched the Wear twins, especially Travis Wear has an exceptional outside presence. Strickland I think will be a lot like Felton, he will have to really work on his shot, but could become better. Ginyard has actually become a lot more reliable as a shooter, but is still known for defense.

Carolina has ben more of a run you up and down and wear you out team(Defense and Transition points), then a 3 point threat anyways.......I still feel that style of ball will still put them in the top 15 and if players develop fast they could easily be a top 10 program this season and battling GT and Duke (Which I think minus Singler is a very overrated team, but you can never count them out because of Coach K) for the ACC crown.

Edited by Tweeder, 07 November 2009 - 11:02 AM.

#15 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

So what you are telling me is UNC wins titles when they have shooters. Also when they can push the ball in transition and they don't have either one this year. If you are counting on the 6'11" Wear twins to be your shooters good luck. That is why you pack it in and make them shoot. Carolina was run and gun last year it won't be that this year they will have to make jumpers.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com