Photo
- - - - -

Carolina versus Belmont Abbey 57-31 half

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#13 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

ahh the precious zone defense.....Carolina runs it every year, and every year gets destroyed by the 3 point shot, that is why they run more man to man. The ACC is too good at outside shooting to rely on zone defense.

This game means nothing to me except for it is a win.....Drew is garbage, I said it last year and I am sticking by my words. They need to get somebody more experience throughout the year and replace Drew as a starter, he reminds me of Quinton Thomas v2.0

My whole point is UNC has no one to shoot the ball so you pack it in on their bigs and make them beat you from the outside. I will take my chances with Drew and Ginyard shooting the ball before I let Thompson, and Davis go wild on the inside.

#14 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

My whole point is UNC has no one to shoot the ball so you pack it in on their bigs and make them beat you from the outside. I will take my chances with Drew and Ginyard shooting the ball before I let Thompson, and Davis go wild on the inside.

ehh Carolina has never been a deadly 3 point shooting team.....sure they have had Ellington, Lawson(Who came on late as a shooter), McCants, and Felton(Again came on late as a shooter), and Green (Junior year)

The only true shooters Carolina has had over the past few years has been McCants and Ellington.....Some will say Green, but he was god awful at his outside shot until his Junior year, Felton really didn't hit his stride until his Junior year because he busted his ass at making the outside shot better, and Lawson who was a decent shooter his Sophmore year was much better his last season also

From what I have reserched the Wear twins, especially Travis Wear has an exceptional outside presence. Strickland I think will be a lot like Felton, he will have to really work on his shot, but could become better. Ginyard has actually become a lot more reliable as a shooter, but is still known for defense.

Carolina has ben more of a run you up and down and wear you out team(Defense and Transition points), then a 3 point threat anyways.......I still feel that style of ball will still put them in the top 15 and if players develop fast they could easily be a top 10 program this season and battling GT and Duke (Which I think minus Singler is a very overrated team, but you can never count them out because of Coach K) for the ACC crown.

Edited by Tweeder, 07 November 2009 - 11:02 AM.

#15 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

HUDDLER

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

So what you are telling me is UNC wins titles when they have shooters. Also when they can push the ball in transition and they don't have either one this year. If you are counting on the 6'11" Wear twins to be your shooters good luck. That is why you pack it in and make them shoot. Carolina was run and gun last year it won't be that this year they will have to make jumpers.

#16 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

HUDDLER

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yes stats looked good except shooting the ball. It's pretty easy to dominate a team like Belmont Abbey on the inside when their tallest player is 6'8". You just throw the ball in and score. That is how Drew had 8 assts. You guys are the same ones that said scrimmage games don't mean anything, and now this glorified scrimmage against no talent at all has everyone is excited. You will run into a real problem when you match up with a team that has bigs because you don't have shooters. Just remember it was Belmont Abbey.

The difference between this exhibition and the scrimmage against Vandy, is that a scrimmage is treated more like a "real" game, by coaches and players. Even though it's only an exhibition game, the play calling is more of a factor and the line ups are more like they will be in the regular season. Although with this team I wouldn't be surprised to see the starting lineup change before ACC play because the freshmen will be more acclimated to college play. That goes for the rest of the rotation too. I don't expect players like Watts or even McDonald to see as much time as they got last night.

Yes 3 point shooting will be a likely problem for this team. However that may be mitigated to a certain extent because this team will rebound better. Make a big a deal as you want about 3 point shooting, but I'm telling you this team will still be pretty damn good.

#17 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

HUDDLER

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

So what you are telling me is UNC wins titles when they have shooters. Also when they can push the ball in transition and they don't have either one this year. If you are counting on the 6'11" Wear twins to be your shooters good luck. That is why you pack it in and make them shoot. Carolina was run and gun last year it won't be that this year they will have to make jumpers.

This team will still run. Make no mistake about that. However, rather than having a speedy PG take the ball all the way up, it will be done by passing. Laugh at the Wears all you want but I am pleasantly surprised at how well they are fundamentally. They are excellent passers and have decent range on their shots, plus they have some low post skills. And you are totally missing the point about how well this team will rebound. Sure they'll miss a few jumpers, but when you get the rebound and put it back up...that's just as good. I seriously doubt any team will outrebound UNC this year, especially in the ACC. Who's got the depth and size of UNC's frontcourt? Nobody.

#18 Htar

Htar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

The Heels should mail it in...The ABC'ers have convinced me that they won't/can't win a game. It's going to be a fun year.

#19 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

You guys will spin it anyway you can. UNC will be good you guys are missing the point. The biggest difference is Vandy was a D-1 school and Belmont Abbey is not. UNC will struggle shooting the ball and that will hurt them because they will not rebound any better then they did last year. Call a spade a spade and realize your weaknesses.

#20 Htar

Htar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

You guys will spin it anyway you can. UNC will be good you guys are missing the point. The biggest difference is Vandy was a D-1 school and Belmont Abbey is not. UNC will struggle shooting the ball and that will hurt them because they will not rebound any better then they did last year. Call a spade a spade and realize your weaknesses.

I agree that perimeter shooting may be a problem, but this team is also more athletic up and down the roster, Roy admitted as much. I read someone comparing them to Memphis a few years ago that had a really strong club but couldn't shoot that well...That may be the case with this team. Defensively and on the glass this team is going to be a terror for anybody they play.

#21 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I keep hearing about the Heels having issues at the Point Guard position... what's the scoop on that?

#22 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

I don't think LD2 is ready for the full time PG position yet. He's still too erratic. We don't have the super fast Lawson anymore. Then again Raymond wasn't a speed demon.

#23 Htar

Htar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

LDII can be every bit as good as Phelps was. I think he will probably be the best PG defender they have had in a while.

#24 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

You're fuging high if you don't think this team will out rebound last years team. We got deeper and bigger in the post, not to mention at small forward. This whole team is bigger position by position (other than Deon of course). Drew is taller than Lawson, Ginyard is taller than Ellington, Henson is taller than Green, Deon=Deon, and then you throw in the Wears, Davis and Zeller.