Photo
- - - - -

Carolina versus Belmont Abbey 57-31 half

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#16 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yes stats looked good except shooting the ball. It's pretty easy to dominate a team like Belmont Abbey on the inside when their tallest player is 6'8". You just throw the ball in and score. That is how Drew had 8 assts. You guys are the same ones that said scrimmage games don't mean anything, and now this glorified scrimmage against no talent at all has everyone is excited. You will run into a real problem when you match up with a team that has bigs because you don't have shooters. Just remember it was Belmont Abbey.

The difference between this exhibition and the scrimmage against Vandy, is that a scrimmage is treated more like a "real" game, by coaches and players. Even though it's only an exhibition game, the play calling is more of a factor and the line ups are more like they will be in the regular season. Although with this team I wouldn't be surprised to see the starting lineup change before ACC play because the freshmen will be more acclimated to college play. That goes for the rest of the rotation too. I don't expect players like Watts or even McDonald to see as much time as they got last night.

Yes 3 point shooting will be a likely problem for this team. However that may be mitigated to a certain extent because this team will rebound better. Make a big a deal as you want about 3 point shooting, but I'm telling you this team will still be pretty damn good.

#17 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

So what you are telling me is UNC wins titles when they have shooters. Also when they can push the ball in transition and they don't have either one this year. If you are counting on the 6'11" Wear twins to be your shooters good luck. That is why you pack it in and make them shoot. Carolina was run and gun last year it won't be that this year they will have to make jumpers.

This team will still run. Make no mistake about that. However, rather than having a speedy PG take the ball all the way up, it will be done by passing. Laugh at the Wears all you want but I am pleasantly surprised at how well they are fundamentally. They are excellent passers and have decent range on their shots, plus they have some low post skills. And you are totally missing the point about how well this team will rebound. Sure they'll miss a few jumpers, but when you get the rebound and put it back up...that's just as good. I seriously doubt any team will outrebound UNC this year, especially in the ACC. Who's got the depth and size of UNC's frontcourt? Nobody.

#18 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

The Heels should mail it in...The ABC'ers have convinced me that they won't/can't win a game. It's going to be a fun year.

#19 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

You guys will spin it anyway you can. UNC will be good you guys are missing the point. The biggest difference is Vandy was a D-1 school and Belmont Abbey is not. UNC will struggle shooting the ball and that will hurt them because they will not rebound any better then they did last year. Call a spade a spade and realize your weaknesses.

#20 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

You guys will spin it anyway you can. UNC will be good you guys are missing the point. The biggest difference is Vandy was a D-1 school and Belmont Abbey is not. UNC will struggle shooting the ball and that will hurt them because they will not rebound any better then they did last year. Call a spade a spade and realize your weaknesses.

I agree that perimeter shooting may be a problem, but this team is also more athletic up and down the roster, Roy admitted as much. I read someone comparing them to Memphis a few years ago that had a really strong club but couldn't shoot that well...That may be the case with this team. Defensively and on the glass this team is going to be a terror for anybody they play.

#21 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I keep hearing about the Heels having issues at the Point Guard position... what's the scoop on that?

#22 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

I don't think LD2 is ready for the full time PG position yet. He's still too erratic. We don't have the super fast Lawson anymore. Then again Raymond wasn't a speed demon.

#23 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

LDII can be every bit as good as Phelps was. I think he will probably be the best PG defender they have had in a while.

#24 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

You're fuging high if you don't think this team will out rebound last years team. We got deeper and bigger in the post, not to mention at small forward. This whole team is bigger position by position (other than Deon of course). Drew is taller than Lawson, Ginyard is taller than Ellington, Henson is taller than Green, Deon=Deon, and then you throw in the Wears, Davis and Zeller.

#25 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

To me, here are UNC's biggest concerns...

1. Balance. The guards are unproven and nowhere near as talented as the bigs.

2. Playing time. Unless they redshirt two or three of those guys, expect some transfers from the bigs.

#26 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

To me, here are UNC's biggest concerns...

1. Balance. The guards are unproven and nowhere near as talented as the bigs.

2. Playing time. Unless they redshirt two or three of those guys, expect some transfers from the bigs.

1. Agree. UNC is top heavy, no doubt about that. Somebody compared Drew to Phelps which I agree with. Phelps wasn't a fast guard, but he was a great passer and had a high basketball IQ. Same with Drew...although Phelps was a better defender. Strickland has potential but he's got to show it on the court. Graves can drain three's in practice but that hasn't seemed to translate to a real game. Ginyard is probably the best all around player we have at the guard position. He just has limited range.
2. Disagree...the Wears knew what the situation was before they went to UNC. Henson will play the 3 so he doesn't factor in that discussion and the general consensus is that he will be one and done. Zeller, Thompson and Davis will all see more than 25 minutes a game, particularly as the season goes on.

#27 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

1. Agree. UNC is top heavy, no doubt about that. Somebody compared Drew to Phelps which I agree with. Phelps wasn't a fast guard, but he was a great passer and had a high basketball IQ. Same with Drew...although Phelps was a better defender. Strickland has potential but he's got to show it on the court. Graves can drain three's in practice but that hasn't seemed to translate to a real game. Ginyard is probably the best all around player we have at the guard position. He just has limited range.
2. Disagree...the Wears knew what the situation was before they went to UNC. Henson will play the 3 so he doesn't factor in that discussion and the general consensus is that he will be one and done. Zeller, Thompson and Davis will all see more than 25 minutes a game, particularly as the season goes on.

If all the games were 30-point blowouts, that would work. But Stan, would you ever take Ed Davis off the floor in a tight game?

#28 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

If all the games were 30-point blowouts, that would work. But Stan, would you ever take Ed Davis off the floor in a tight game?

Of course not. If you are thinking that the Wears or Zeller are going to transfer because of playing time, you are nuts. Zeller will get at least 20 minutes a game. The Wears probably won't see a whole lot of time this year, but Davis will probably be gone next year as well as Thompson. They will get plenty of time next year and beyond. Besides they knew what they were getting into.

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

You're fuging high if you don't think this team will out rebound last years team. We got deeper and bigger in the post, not to mention at small forward. This whole team is bigger position by position (other than Deon of course). Drew is taller than Lawson, Ginyard is taller than Ellington, Henson is taller than Green, Deon=Deon, and then you throw in the Wears, Davis and Zeller.

You obviously don't know the first thing about basketball if you think that rebound is all about height. Hansbrough would out rebound anybody on the team you have right now. Lawson would out rebound Drew all day long. Rebounding is about positioning, that is why one of the best rebounders of all time was only 6'8". Ever heard of Dennis Rodman? Maybe you and Htar should get together and study some basketball.

#30 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

You obviously don't know the first thing about basketball if you think that rebound is all about height. Hansbrough would out rebound anybody on the team you have right now. Lawson would out rebound Drew all day long. Rebounding is about positioning, that is why one of the best rebounders of all time was only 6'8". Ever heard of Dennis Rodman? Maybe you and Htar should get together and study some basketball.

Maybe you should learn something about bball...Hansbrough wasn't ever the greatest rebounder.

And, btw, Drew looks solid so far.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com