• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#31 Mark V

Mark V

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

It's very frustrating that we now have a championship caliber offense that is peaking at the right time, and can almost score at will when it really wants to... and the defense, for various reasons, can't hold on to a lead.

#32 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

You don't honestly think anyone's going to answer Davidson, do you?

As big a detractor of Trgovac as I am, kurb has a valid point.

My favorite offseason "never gonna happen" notion is that Herm Edwards gets let go from the Chiefs and his old friend John Fox asks him to come on board and run the Panther defense, or at least be a "consultant' who ends up running the defense eventually. Herm may not be a great head coach, but he's got a record as a solid (and aggressive) defensive coordinator. That, plus his aggressiveness would help balance Fox's cautiousness.

(no, it won't happen, but I can dream)

Way more likely that if Trgovac is replaced, it's Tim Lewis who gets the call.

Even more likely that nothing happens to Trgivac at all.

Tim Lewis used to be a great DC. He had a terrible time with the New York Giants, but I don't think he's forgotten how to do his job. I'd much rather have Lewis than Trgo. It wouldn't be a dream exchange, but it would probably be an improvement. Somebody just needs to remind him that soft zone doesn't work ever.

#33 goodoleboy

goodoleboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

who should we get then and from where

Get some DT talent in the draft or FA and leave the coaching staff alone

#34 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Get some DT talent in the draft or FA and leave the coaching staff alone

We've already changed around the players. When is it ever gonna be the coache's fault?

#35 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

But everyone and their little sister knows and have known that the DTs are the thinnest and weakest link on that defense. Lewis shouldn't be starting, he's a great sub a la Burton was in the day. Kemo does his thing well but they need depth. Badly. And it showed.

#36 goodoleboy

goodoleboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

Its always 80% players 20% coaching. The coaches are just convenient targets

#37 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:40 PM

The players don't choose the scheme. We don't like the scheme.

Who do you want us to bitch about? The players?

#38 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

But everyone and their little sister knows and have known that the DTs are the thinnest and weakest link on that defense. Lewis shouldn't be starting, he's a great sub a la Burton was in the day. Kemo does his thing well but they need depth. Badly. And it showed.

So I guess Turdo has yet another excuse to keep his job then. The previous 2 was on injuries.

#39 Mark V

Mark V

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Remember those threads earlier this year where some people were actually trying to say that we had an elite defense? And of course when anyone tried to talk some sense into these people, they weren't "real" fans. LOL. Where are those punks now?

Statistically, we did have a very good defense in the beginning of the season before the bye week. Whether this was from strength of schedule, who knows. All I know is that I have had to refill my hemorrhoid medication and buy a new bottle of pepto for the last 6 Sundays, and it's getting expensive.

#40 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,703 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Trgo of course, however I see no reason why a great defensive coach like Fox couldn't call the defensive signals the rest of the year starting now.

#41 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

First question:

It seems the D was playing pretty well early in the season. People seemed excited about it. The word was that the coaches had simplified the D...because of younger players. The players said they liked it...they could just react...did not have to think too much.

The 1st game after the bye week, Oakland......a poor D performance....Fox mentioned that they were putting in some new schemes for the D.

My question is.....did they try to fix something that was not broken? Much of the D...especially the secondary, looks lost out there lately.

2nd question:

How can the Giants run the same play over and over....and the Panther D never make an adjustment to stop it?

#42 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

Never said he was blameless. But without a runstuffer in the middle, the entire defensive philosophy changed. People were put in positions they weren't used to, doing things that they aren't equipped to do. Run blitzing to make up for that line presence, which in turn left huge holes in the zone. Secondary playing off to keep everything in front of them because they knew the LBs were selling out against the run. One thing leads to another. It's a domino effect. It's a sad truth that some people are more valuable than others...and we saw it last night. I've never been a Trgo fan, and I would be in the front of the line to help him pack his bags. But last night, especially after Lewis, who is mediocre at best at the run, goes out, the defense was put in a very precarious situation. There is no room for error at all on that side of the ball until we can grow some depth.

#43 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

2nd question:

How can the Giants run the same play over and over....and the Panther D never make an adjustment to stop it?

THAT'S coaching.

#44 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

First question:

It seems the D was playing pretty well early in the season. People seemed excited about it. The word was that the coaches had simplified the D...because of younger players. The players said they liked it...they could just react...did not have to think too much.

The 1st game after the bye week, Oakland......a poor D performance....Fox mentioned that they were putting in some new schemes for the D.

My question is.....did they try to fix something that was not broken? Much of the D...especially the secondary, looks lost out there lately.

2nd question:

The defense played quite well in that Oakland game, especially given the situations the offense put them in. They only allowed 2 field goals when Oakland was consitently starting their offense in our territory. The ARI game, DET, ATL, etc. were all bad performances, though. Although the defense made decent halftime adjustments in the ARI game, especially considering they were seeing a game plan they were totally not expecting. The whole 4 and 5 WR sets. You can see now how badly that works for ARI now that the league has seen it a few times.

#45 Ncstatefan

Ncstatefan

GO PACK!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Trgo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.