Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watched duke play

25 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Not a lot to be determined from watching them pound UNCG...They don't seem very athletic, but they have good size.

Posted · Report post

Minus Nolan and Mason, probably the two best athletes.

Posted · Report post

[B]Watched duke play [/B] I'm sorry to hear you had nothing better to do...LOL

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']Not a lot to be determined from watching them pound UNCG...They don't seem very athletic, but they have good size.[/QUOTE]

I was very impressed, Scheyer picked back up where he left off and Singler is going to be a beast this year. Miles looked a whole lot better, and I thought our freshmen played well. They didn't look sloppy with the ball, only 13 TO's. I can't wait for Nolan and MP2 to get back.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bigcatdaddy']I was very impressed, Scheyer picked back up where he left off and Singler is going to be a beast this year. Miles looked a whole lot better, and I thought our freshmen played well. They didn't look sloppy with the ball, only 13 TO's. I can't wait for Nolan and MP2 to get back.[/QUOTE]

Of course you were...They still are not going to be good at guarding quick teams, and K is going to physically kill Scheyer and Singler - Don't know if either got a break last night.

No one will get to see them exposed until they play someone though. Are they playing a ranked team out of conference this year?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']Of course you were...They still are not going to be good at guarding quick teams, and K is going to physically kill Scheyer and Singler - Don't know if either got a break last night.

No one will get to see them exposed until they play someone though. Are they playing a ranked team out of conference this year?[/QUOTE]

That is why they will have to play zone, I told you that on another thread they have tremendous size at every position so it will be tough guarding quicker teams. I am not a homer like you and think they have no flaws, I understand the game. Yes Scheyer and Singler had to play some minutes but that is because Smith couldn't play and MP2 was also out. They play in the NIT so whoever they face in the Garden, they also have Wisconsin, Gonzaga, and St.Johns, and Georgetown.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bigcatdaddy']That is why they will have to play zone, I told you that on another thread they have tremendous size at every position so it will be tough guarding quicker teams. I am not a homer like you and think they have no flaws, I understand the game. Yes Scheyer and Singler had to play some minutes but that is because Smith couldn't play and MP2 was also out. They play in the NIT so whoever they face in the Garden, they also have Wisconsin, Gonzaga, and St.Johns, and Georgetown.[/QUOTE]

So do you believe they are a top 10 team?

Posted · Report post

I thought dook looked good. I didn't watch the whole game but I did notice them playing a lot of zone. Roy had better start preparing for that now.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='stankowalski']I thought dook looked good. I didn't watch the whole game but I did notice them playing a lot of zone. Roy had better start preparing for that now.[/QUOTE]

I thought they looked a step slow and not too athletic. Again, they have nice size and skill, so they will probably have a decent year. They may be a sweet 16 team, may not be. I know there is a lot of hope that Nolen Smith will be the answer at pg, but he was so ineffective last season that he was moved out by a freshman.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']I thought they looked a step slow and not too athletic. Again, they have nice size and skill, so they will probably have a decent year. They may be a sweet 16 team, may not be. I know there is a lot of hope that Nolen Smith will be the answer at pg, but he was so ineffective last season that he was moved out by a freshman.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Elliot took the place of Paulus, not Nolan. He was playing well until that screen at Maryland that took him out with a concussion, and when he came back he wasn't the same. I love how Duke players that are hyped are nothing until they prove themselves, but you're so high on Carolina when in reality only a couple of them have done anything significant.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']So do you believe they are a top 10 team?[/QUOTE]

Yes they are a top ten team no doubt, but do we have issues of course we are thin at the guard position but I was more impressed with Duke's play than UNC's so far. Now I am a Duke fan so it could be biased but I thought they played very well. Freshmen looked good and we only turned the ball over 13 and put up 96 points. Defense looked poor at points of the game but again that is one of the areas to work on. And as far as Nolan goes I think for being a second year player and playing behind Paulus and Scheyer he averaged 9 ppg. 2 assts. and 3 rebs. Those are decent stats for a guy coming off the bench. I know he has worked really hard on his game over the summer so we will see. Like I said I will take him over LD2 all day everyday.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']I thought they looked a step slow and not too athletic. Again, they have nice size and skill, so they will probably have a decent year. They may be a sweet 16 team, may not be. I know there is a lot of hope that Nolen Smith will be the answer at pg, but he was so ineffective last season that he was moved out by a freshman.[/QUOTE]

So a team that looked a step slow and not too athletic put up 96 points? Your guys haven't put up that many points this year yet. We shot the same percentage from the 3 point line as the Heels did so you can't use that excuse.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='bigcatdaddy']So a team that looked a step slow and not too athletic put up 96 points? Your guys haven't put up that many points this year yet. We shot the same percentage from the 3 point line as the Heels did so you can't use that excuse.[/QUOTE]

I think UNC has a higher ceiling this year than duke...What you see from duke is about what it will be. Roy is running players in and out trying to establish his corp. Yeah, the Heels are going to play a lot of people, but they are not going to have a 12 man rotation. That's what it is right now.

And, hey, duke might score 96 a game, but they are going to play teams and give up that much, too.

Posted · Report post

96 points= because it was UNCG, and Coach K played Scheyer & Singler the whole game. I know they were missing 2 players . But you win by 34 and play your best 2 players 39 mins.?
He is a great coach but why does he insist on year after year running his best players into the ground. Come Feb. Singler want have any legs at all.. AGAIN

What has always impressed me is Duke beats the teams their suppose to. K always has them ready.

But to go back in forth this time of year about either team on how good or bad either will be . Makes you sound as homerish as Htar.
Long season hope both teams stay healthy

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cuttinedge']96 points= because it was UNCG, and Coach K played Scheyer & Singler the whole game. I know they were missing 2 players . But you win by 34 and play your best 2 players 39 mins.?
He is a great coach but why does he insist on year after year running his best players into the ground. Come Feb. Singler want have any legs at all.. AGAIN

What has always impressed me is Duke beats the teams their suppose to. K always has them ready.

But to go back in forth this time of year about either team on how good or bad either will be . Makes you sound as homerish as Htar.
Long season hope both teams stay healthy[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I bring facts to the table and Htar brings nothing. 96 points against UNCG I agree is not that impressive I was just making a point that a team I Htar's eyes looks a step slow somehow dropped 96 on a team. Once again he had to play Scheyer and Singler that much because both of their backups were out and we don't have a sixteen man rotation like the mighty Heels. I am assuming you are a UNC fan by your reaction to what I said. Most rational people can understand what I am saying and I don't consider most UNC fans rational.

Posted · Report post

I complimented your team on their preparation and execution.
I don't see how that was irrational. I questioned Coach K's over use of his star players.

I can easily see my teams weaknesses as well as strengths. And in no way do I think Roy walks on water.

You are no different than Htar.
But keeping posting all them facts. Homer:rolleyes:

Posted · Report post

Hey, I never make excuses for my Heel homerism. I'm quite proud of the best program in the nation.

But I see the weaknesses with this years Heel team...The difference is that this years team is playing with house money. They have a ton of talent but are inexperienced. Experience will come with playing. Duke is maxed out. Their leaders are who they are and they are limited.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cuttinedge']I complimented your team on their preparation and execution.
I don't see how that was irrational. I questioned Coach K's over use of his star players.

I can easily see my teams weaknesses as well as strengths. And in no way do I think Roy walks on water.

You are no different than Htar.
But keeping posting all them facts. Homer:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree they are prepared, and as far as K's over use of players we are not as deep as your Heels and if you would have taken a moment to thought about what I wrote you would understand why Scheyer and Singler had to play so much. We had maybe our most pivotal player not playing. With Smith not playing we have to have players step up and play a little more. They won't average 37 minutes a game once Smith gets back. And if me putting facts out there and not just pulling sh!t out of my a$$ makes me a homer then so be it. I agree that I am biased like any fan but I can still look at a team and make a pretty good judgment on them. I will stand by what I said Duke will finish in the top 10 and UNC will finish in the 10-20 range.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']Hey, I never make excuses for my Heel homerism. I'm quite proud of the best program in the nation.

But I see the weaknesses with this years Heel team...The difference is that this years team is playing with house money. They have a ton of talent but are inexperienced. Experience will come with playing. Duke is maxed out. Their leaders are who they are and they are limited.[/QUOTE]

Couple things Htar.

1. Happy to hear you watched a Duke game. Anyone who considers themselves a die-hard Duke or Carolina fan and member of the greatest rivalry in sports should always watch the rivals games. I watch every Carolina game of the year, that way I know what I am talking about when I talk sh*t. So that is a positive for you Htar.

2. Duke is pretty athletic. You can be white and be athletic, it happens sometimes. How high do you think Mason and Miles Plumlee can jump? Just curious.

3. Carolina may be young this year, but keep in mind Duke has two seniors on the team, that's it.

4. As for knowing who their leaders are at the beginning of the season, that would be considered a positive. And yes we know what the can do, Jon is the reigning ACC tournament MVP and Kyle Singler is a serious candidate for National Player of the Year. Not sure how that is seen as not impressive. If we want to talk not impressive, that would be Carolina's level of play this season so far.

5. Finally, if you want to question Duke being a top ten team, you, my friend, need to look in the mirror. How can you ask that question with a straight face, when Carolina is ranked 4th in the Nation. There is nothing about that team that is 4th best in the Nation. Be happy with a high early season ranking, it will not be there at the end. Kinda like your football team, over hyped early and shows its colors mid season then trys to turn it on when its too late. But you probably aren't even a Carolina football fan.

Posted · Report post

Thought Duke looked good, was really impressed with a couple of the freshmen out there...Dawkins, I think one was, and the other goofy-looking black-haired center/forward that nailed that long three.

Still think Zoubeck simply needs to GTFO, though.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Luc21']Couple things Htar.

1. Happy to hear you watched a Duke game. Anyone who considers themselves a die-hard Duke or Carolina fan and member of the greatest rivalry in sports should always watch the rivals games. I watch every Carolina game of the year, that way I know what I am talking about when I talk sh*t. So that is a positive for you Htar.

2. Duke is pretty athletic. You can be white and be athletic, it happens sometimes. How high do you think Mason and Miles Plumlee can jump? Just curious.

3. Carolina may be young this year, but keep in mind Duke has two seniors on the team, that's it.

4. As for knowing who their leaders are at the beginning of the season, that would be considered a positive. And yes we know what the can do, Jon is the reigning ACC tournament MVP and Kyle Singler is a serious candidate for National Player of the Year. Not sure how that is seen as not impressive. If we want to talk not impressive, that would be Carolina's level of play this season so far.

5. Finally, if you want to question Duke being a top ten team, you, my friend, need to look in the mirror. How can you ask that question with a straight face, when Carolina is ranked 4th in the Nation. There is nothing about that team that is 4th best in the Nation. Be happy with a high early season ranking, it will not be there at the end. Kinda like your football team, over hyped early and shows its colors mid season then trys to turn it on when its too late. But you probably aren't even a Carolina football fan.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the UNC fball team that pounded your dookies? Yeah, I know quite a bit about UNC football and have been a fan for years. How you like that defense? I'd question your loyalty to the gridiron devils but I know you're not a fan of that...I think there are 500 dook football fans in the world - odds are you aren't one of them.

As for hoops, the devils are maxed out. Not much upside there.

Posted · Report post

Maxed out and two key players haven't played a minute yet. Makes sense.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='love2hateroy']Maxed out and two key players haven't played a minute yet. Makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I mean, MP is a freshman and has a broken arm - doubt he'll be a factor at all this year and Nolen hasn't done squat to this point in his career. Am I wrong?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar'] Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Htar']I mean, MP is a freshman and has a broken arm - doubt he'll be a factor at all this year and Nolen hasn't done squat to this point in his career. Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

Actually he has a broken bone in his wrist and will be out a few weeks. I told you Smith averaged 9 ppg. and 3 asst. and 3 rebs in a back up role last year. He was only a second year player. He is no superstar but he can play he will average more points than any of UNC's guards this year. Miles vertical is 35 inches and his brother isn't far behind, so I would say that is a pretty athletic big man. Maybe you think he is not athletic because he is white, that is pretty close minded of you.