70 replies to this topic

#16 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

What is this good as they are going to get crap? Every team will get better from the start of the season and Syracuse is a better team then UNC. I see UNC making it to the sweet sixteen only if they get a favorable matchup, they are just too young and inexperienced plus your PG is not very good and we all know you have to have good guard play in the tourney.

And Drew isn't a bad PG, he's just not Lawson. You don't have to be Lawson to be a serviceable PG. Drew is comparable to Jimmy Black (PG for the '82 team, and Phelps PG '93). Those teams won National Championships, not that this team will, but they will get better because it's a YOUNG team.

#17 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

You UNC fans are fooling yourselves if you think this team will lose fewer than 12 games. They'll lose five out of conference, and seven or eight in the ACC. Gonna be hard to win on the road in the ACC with those guards.

Inside, you might have the biggest collection of talent in the country. But you have no one to control the pace of the game and no one to get those bigs the ball. Imagine if you had four great guards and no one very good inside. Same thing.

#18 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

No offence to UK fans, but I don't take your opinions seriously.

#19 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

You UNC fans are fooling yourselves if you think this team will lose fewer than 12 games. They'll lose five out of conference, and seven or eight in the ACC. Gonna be hard to win on the road in the ACC with those guards.

Inside, you might have the biggest collection of talent in the country. But you have no one to control the pace of the game and no one to get those bigs the ball. Imagine if you had four great guards and no one very good inside. Same thing.

Same thing can be said about UK.

#20 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

You're insane if you think this team will lose 12+ games. UNC only lost 6 games during the whole season after winning the championship in '05...after losing May, Felton, and McCants. With Bobby Frasor as the starting PG, with Quentin Thomas and Wes Mller logging minutes at the point. Are you insane? LOL...just keep going, I heard all this crap about 4 years ago, and it turned out okay. Not a championship, but we got another one in '09. And we'll be set up for another one next year.

#21 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

Meat's a UK fan? LOL...sorry if UNC can't play all cupcakes. UK hasn't even played a real team yet, and they only beat Miami-Ohio by 2 points and let Sam Houston fuging state run up 92 points on them. Get the fug out of here.

#22 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

Also, this is one of those stories that needs to stay in the War Room, but John Calapari is just hard for me to like. I received a call last night after I got home from the Vandy game from someone who is close to the UK program. Short version of the story--Jon Hood injured his wrist and did not play in their last game, but practiced all week. Coach Cal and their lead assistand came up to him before the game and told him to be ready, that they were going to play him significant minutes and to be prepared, etc. Hood was a DNP and when he was asked about it at the press conference (why Hood didnt play), Cal said the reason why was that he hadnt practiced all week. So he told a bold-faced lie. He had an assistant call Jon later on last evening to see if he was okay (no doubt feeling him out to see how upset he was).

In addition, Darnell Dodson failed a drug test earlier this week, and Calapari made him stand up in front of the team a couple of days ago and tell them why he wasnt going to be able to play against Miami-Ohio. He told them he had failed a drug test then Cal proceeded to play him almost the entire game as he is their only legitimate threat from 3 at this point. He apparently is going to give him a 3-game suspension but went ahead and let him play last night despite the theatrics earlier in the week. Deandre Liggins is serving a 6-game suspension for basically the same thing. So Cal let Dodson play despite failing a drug test, while Liggins is serving a longer suspension for the same thing, told Hood he would play then didnt get him in the game, then totally lied about it in the press conference and made an assistant call Hood to make sure he wasnt too upset. Classy.

#23 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:37 PM

Meat's a UK fan? LOL...sorry if UNC can't play all cupcakes. UK hasn't even played a real team yet, and they only beat Miami-Ohio by 2 points and let Sam Houston fuging state run up 92 points on them. Get the fug out of here.

hahahahaha

More fake Rep...

#24 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

22-8...

#25 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

I was watching the game and it was a good one for the first half, the UNC seemed to hit a wall in the 2nd half. I'm def not going to pile on UNC cuz they lost to a quality team while my team has had to fight to win over less than good teams. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the game, so I can't say what was the problem for the Heels tonight. I do believe that Roy will coach them up and with their talent, they'll improve. I think the same holds true for Coach Cal and my Cats.

#26 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

I was watching the game and it was a good one for the first half, the UNC seemed to hit a wall in the 2nd half. I'm def not going to pile on UNC cuz they lost to a quality team while my team has had to fight to win over less than good teams. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the game, so I can't say what was the problem for the Heels tonight. I do believe that Roy will coach them up and with their talent, they'll improve. I think the same holds true for Coach Cal and my Cats.

I'm not going to pile on UNC either but their problem is the exact same problem that they have had since Roy got there. They don't play good perimeter defense. They are loaded down low so teams can forget about getting easy buckets inside but Cuse shot 43% from beyond the arc. They let Syracuse shoot 54% from the field when they have 3 seven footers in the post to defend. That just shouldn't happen...

I said before the season even started that PG was going to be the Heels downfall. Not because they don't have talent there...but because they don't have THE BEST PG on the floor every night like they have had every year but one that Roy has been there.

This is a tournament team

This is a team that will contend for the ACC

This is not a top 10 team

This is not a Sweet 16 team IMO

I will say this...If Drew comes around and can command that position then they MIGHT be a Sweet 16 team. If he can't then they are going to struggle against good teams. I watched all but about 5 mins of the Ohio State game and I watched the first half of the Syracuse game. There were many many situations where the prototypical UNC PG (Lawson or Felton) would have been down the floor and at the hoop. Drew doesn't have that speed and that is how Roy wins.

#27 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

Damn, I just read 'Cuse went on a 22-1 run that pretty much sealed the deal. Ouch.

#28 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Also, this is one of those stories that needs to stay in the War Room, but John Calapari is just hard for me to like. I received a call last night after I got home from the Vandy game from someone who is close to the UK program. Short version of the story--Jon Hood injured his wrist and did not play in their last game, but practiced all week. Coach Cal and their lead assistand came up to him before the game and told him to be ready, that they were going to play him significant minutes and to be prepared, etc. Hood was a DNP and when he was asked about it at the press conference (why Hood didnt play), Cal said the reason why was that he hadnt practiced all week. So he told a bold-faced lie. He had an assistant call Jon later on last evening to see if he was okay (no doubt feeling him out to see how upset he was).

In addition, Darnell Dodson failed a drug test earlier this week, and Calapari made him stand up in front of the team a couple of days ago and tell them why he wasnt going to be able to play against Miami-Ohio. He told them he had failed a drug test then Cal proceeded to play him almost the entire game as he is their only legitimate threat from 3 at this point. He apparently is going to give him a 3-game suspension but went ahead and let him play last night despite the theatrics earlier in the week. Deandre Liggins is serving a 6-game suspension for basically the same thing. So Cal let Dodson play despite failing a drug test, while Liggins is serving a longer suspension for the same thing, told Hood he would play then didnt get him in the game, then totally lied about it in the press conference and made an assistant call Hood to make sure he wasnt too upset. Classy.

First of all, Dodson didn't play, so I know at least part of what you are saying is wrong. Aren't you the one that said Kentucky was paying Wall before Calipari even got there? That's another lie. I heard all kinds of rumors about kids tired of Tubby when he was there, and yet I have yet to meet the person who has met Tubby who didn't come away thinking they just met a very classy person.

Let me tell you about nice guy Roy. When Kentucky played Kansas in 1990, Pitino's first year, they had four Kentucky white kids, a black point guard from Indiana and a couple of walk ons. None of the players were highly recruited, or taller than 6'7". Kansas was loaded that season, with huge inside players (sound familiar?). Kentucky was learning Pitino's press, even though they were shorthanded, and Kansas had their way with it that year. They were winning 132-95, when Roy looked at Pitino and asked him what he wanted him to do (Kentucky was still pressing). Pitino said "I want you to take f***ing (whoever Kansas' 6-10 All American was that year) out of the game!" Roy took him out, called timeout a minute later and re-inserted him, and Kansas scored the last 18 points. 150-95. Just to win a pissing contest with Pitino, who was already embarrassed.

Same year, Kentucky played UNC. Again, Kentucky kept pressing, and UNC got up 49-19 in the first half. They maintained that advantage until late in the game, when UK came back to within about 10 points. Dean called off the dogs and UK lost 121-110. Dean did it right. He made his point without rubbing it in.

This is why Coach K called Roy out on the Hansbrough/Henderson fight a couple of years ago. If Roy hadn't have been trying to run it up, it never would have happened. Roy responded "Tell him to coach his team and I'll coach mine."

Roy is a prick.

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

Drew played pretty good tonight in the first half. He's got to stop trying to force the ball in there with those passes where he tries to throw it over everyone's head.

And what do you mean I told you so? I'm pretty sure that nobody in the entire universe thought that Drew was gonna come in and everything would run as smooth as if Lawson were still here.

Htar argued that Drew would come in and be a good pg and I told him Drew wasn't ready. Just like I told him UNC had no shooters so the way to beat them would be pack it down low with a zone and UNC would not be able to handle it. I don't consider 0 pts, 6 asst, and 3 TO's a good game. Anybody with decent skills will get some assists with the great bigs you guys have down low. He will be counted on to hit some shots when teams play a zone to handle the big guys down low.

#30 xXxBretWeedxXx

xXxBretWeedxXx

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

Syracuse played about as well as they are capable of playing. Do you really think they can shoot any better than they did? They rebounded well, shot well, defended well...I didn't see many mental lapses. They returned 4 of their 5 starters from last year. They've already played together for at least one year, and more for others. They are a more experienced team than UNC. That's why I say they are about as good as they're going to get, and they played about the best they're going to play.

Younger teams have more room to grow, that's just the way it works.

LOL 4 of their 5 starters? Last year the starting 5 was, Johnny Flynn, Eric Devendorf, Andy Rautins, Arinze Onuaku and Paul Harris. Flynn, Devo and Harris all left for the NBA last year. All 3 were the top scorers last year. Wesley Johnson was on the practice squad all year because he was a transfer and Jardine went redshirt due to a stress fracture in his ankle. This team is just finding its identity. They have two starting seniors left from last year. A redshirt sophomore/freshman platoon at PG, a 1st year transfer student and a sophomore who played maybe a 2 games total in minutes last year. Where do you not think Cuse has room to grow?

Also they lost a preseason game against LeMoyne because they were trying a lot of different defensive looks and offensive packages out, like you should do in a preseason game. Obviously they messed around a bit too much because it got them out of sync and that game slipped away, but it's not really anything more than sensationalism that people have made a big deal out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com