Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building a man cave...advice needed

61 posts in this topic

Posted

Here is the Xbox setup:

vrxmach4.jpg

Posted

65" 1080p plasma Viera on sale at best buy for 2199

Posted

65" 1080p plasma Viera on sale at best buy for 2199

You can get a good HD projector for that much and have 106".

Posted

I'm not convinced on the picture yet for projector. Plasma is still the best IMO...but I don't need that size anyway.

Posted

I'm not convinced on the picture yet for projector. Plasma is still the best IMO...but I don't need that size anyway.

I have a Panasonic projector. The only downside is you need it to be dark for the best picture. So, my living room is literally a cave.

Outside of that, its awesome.

Posted

LED>LCD>Plasma

The parts that make up a man cave are pretty obvious, TV, Pool table, etc. So I'll take the next step:

What theme are you going for?

Personally I'd give my mancave an overarching theme that's very telling of you. What kills me is when someone has way too much stuff in their cave, and none of it agreeing. Golf clubs over here, Porsche pictures over there, Log cabin motif for the bar, and a modern entertainment center. You don't want your cave to look like the walls of an Applebee's.

Couple ideas I've had for when I have my own place:

-My grandfather flew Corsairs in Korea, and I got a lot of his Navy paraphernalia when he passed (Flight Jacket, Helmet, Headphones, Model aircraft carrier, various and sundry paintings of planes and ships), so I've always considered having a Navy themed bar with that stuff on display.

-A Panthers cave is pretty obvious, but it's so hard to find Panthers stuff in D.C., it would be a pain in the ass to stock it.

-Egyptian (although Ozymandias from Watchmen did it already), Comic books, American Muscle cars, beer, and Poland, to name a few.

Posted

If you can't have naked women in it whenever you want, it's not really a man cave when you have to give half of it to your wife when she divorces you.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Posted

Every guy needs his mancave.

Mine is the basement:

60" Plasma

Surround Sound

Blueray Player

CD Player

PS3 and Wii (kids play this the most)

Pooltable

Foosball Table

Airhockey Table

Leather sectional couch

Panthers and Beer Neon Signs

3 Vintage Arcade Games

Wife is not even allowed down the stairs....except to let the dog out the back door.

Throw in a full band set-up and theres my dream.

Posted

LED>LCD>Plasma

no

Posted

LED>LCD>Plasma

The parts that make up a man cave are pretty obvious, TV, Pool table, etc. So I'll take the next step:

What theme are you going for?

Personally I'd give my mancave an overarching theme that's very telling of you. What kills me is when someone has way too much stuff in their cave, and none of it agreeing. Golf clubs over here, Porsche pictures over there, Log cabin motif for the bar, and a modern entertainment center. You don't want your cave to look like the walls of an Applebee's.

Couple ideas I've had for when I have my own place:

-My grandfather flew Corsairs in Korea, and I got a lot of his Navy paraphernalia when he passed (Flight Jacket, Helmet, Headphones, Model aircraft carrier, various and sundry paintings of planes and ships), so I've always considered having a Navy themed bar with that stuff on display.

-A Panthers cave is pretty obvious, but it's so hard to find Panthers stuff in D.C., it would be a pain in the ass to stock it.

-Egyptian (although Ozymandias from Watchmen did it already), Comic books, American Muscle cars, beer, and Poland, to name a few.

That Navy theme is a great idea. Get some of his medals, flight jacket and stuff framed and mounted on the wall.

I can dig that.

Posted

looked at 4 houses today...one had a massive bonus room upstairs. literally enough room for a pool table as well as a theatre area and a work area. The other 3 had typical bedroom sized extra rooms.

Be careful with a pool table on a second floor. I have seen where some of them are so heavy they literally cause the floor below to sag. You may have to add additional bracing to the room before.

Posted

LED>LCD>Plasma

You do realize an LED is just an overpriced LCD don't you? The only difference is the light source is an LED bulb rather than a fluorescent bulb. Aside from that, the technologies are identical, which is why you now hear them referred to as LED LCD's. The whites on LED's has a bluish hue to because LED's naturally have a bluish hue. It's something I'm sure they'll eventually make better, but for now LED is a ripoff.

I'll still take a plasma any day. Lower cost, better colors, faster refresh, faster response time (.001ms compared to 2ms of the best LCD's). Only downside to plasmas these days are slightly higher energy usage and slightly darker picture. There is a reason why most sports bars you go to have plasmas rather than LCDs.