Photo
- - - - -

Hey let's start the new years resolution to get in shape early!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Sultan33g

Sultan33g

I have a boner.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

You guys lose the weight and let me find it. I could use it.

I would love to sell you some of my beer belly...interested?

#32 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

All in all a great thread and a great post. If I may supplement the OP...

I wholeheartedly disagree that crunches are worthless. If losing weight is your MO, then yeah, crunches won't help you. But I am a hardcore proponent of situps/crunches.

I've been doing a situp regimen for two years. Now, I'm not very thin. To paraphrase Dave Barry, I have a six pack, but it's under a protective layer of fat. So yes I am aware that I need to eat less and I need to lose about 15 pounds to be at my ideal weight. But there are definite benefits to having rock hard abs. I spar in my self defense class, and one of the fringe benfits of developed abs is the ability to take a shot in the gut and not even wince.

The second point I want to make is that you don't have to get pigeon-holed into "the gym." I'm not a big fan of fashionable muscle. You can get highly defined, bulky muscle and still have a hard time moving furniture. I've always liked what I call "blue collar" muscle. The kind a guy gets from working construction over the summer, or what your buddy looks like when he gets back from basic training. Muscle you built up doing real work.

Not that there's anything wrong with just hitting the gym to build muscle, but I like my workout to actually be gainful for something other than just appearance. As I said, I'm a member at an Israeli self defense / MMA club. So in addition to getting my cardio and weight training, I know how to throw a punch, take a punch, knee someone in the face, disarm a thug and defend myself when outnumbered. And on a totally personal level, it's easier to motivate myself to go to something like that. Going to the gym three to four times a week was a chore. Going to class after work is something I look forward to.

Again, there's nothing wrong with a gym membership. Just do some research, find out what's offered in your area; boxing, swimming, Rec league sports. Find what's right for you, because your much more likely to go if you enjoy it.

And on one final note, and this comes from my marketing background; pay for your gym fees monthly. It sounds silly, but there is market research to back it up. People who pay an annual fee go to the gym far less often (and are less likely to re-up at the end of the year). The reason being, when you pay monthy, you start thinking in terms of "Man, I hardly went to the gym this month! What a waste of money, I need to go a lot more next month." People who paid the annual sum up front don't feel the pain as much, and by the end of the year, lose their motivation.

#33 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

i mean yeah crunches can be very effective when done well and complimented with a good diet, but abs are made in the kitchen, and ab exercises kinda spiral out of control to the point where people spend thirty minutes doing ridiculous ab exercises that are kind of counter productive because you could be doing something more effective.

so when i make the more in depth thread i'll do an ab section, but for people that are just starting they shouldn't have to worry about it. one of the biggest fallacies in this country is that abs will give a person a six pack stomach.

also you only really need to do abs about twice a week. i just go to an ab class at my gym.

#34 2shy

2shy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

WOW, I'm shocked. Fiz why?

i guess i have a WAAAAAAAAAAAAY different philosophy. Losing weight/etc have some of the biggest myths attached to them.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

WOW, I'm shocked. Fiz why?

well with anything core really it's kind of hard to exercise them with just isolation, and I've always felt that they were the place where you bust out with exercising. i still play tennis 2-3 times a week, and running works abs as well.

I've never had a good response from hardcore ab workouts.

#36 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

also I'm absolutely cursed genetically when it comes to abs

#37 2shy

2shy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

well with anything core really it's kind of hard to exercise them with just isolation, and I've always felt that they were the place where you bust out with exercising. i still play tennis 2-3 times a week, and running works abs as well.

I've never had a good response from hardcore ab workouts.

Not what I meant. abs are made in kitchen, i agree with that. but I dont want to come off as a rude, smug dcik in your thread. i disagree with the gym thing... whats a gym???
if you have a open mind and dont care if spread my poop ideas/philosophy in this thread, id be happy to share.

few questions regardless

1. what do you do about the old man in lockerroom? yes ALL gym have them and you know what im talking about.....
2.similar spin what about the old guy(mainly Chinese or Korean) who gets the locker right next to yours, even if there 100s empty?
3. what about the bros who act gay? they enjoy spotting each other waaaayy too much on the flat bench and love the mirror, hog the preacher bench and any other upper body equipment.
4. the people who half/ass wipe up the sweat.
5.women who dress a certain way and then get pissed when brahs oggle them.
6.girlfriends who spot there bfs, i dont why that bothered me.
7. the MASSIVE amounts of bad form and techines that go on around.
i could go on, but i await your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com