Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahmadinejad's Christmas Message: Jesus Would Oppose Warmongers, Occupiers, Terrorists

50 posts in this topic

Posted

I never said I was sympathetic to the Iranian viewpoint. I just said they are a lot closer to our own than you might want to believe. I'd rather we were not there at all, and all your buddies would be either back here, or fighting against the assholes who supported the 9/11 planners.

I know what you're saying and appreciate where you're coming from. It's just that when liberals bend over backward to explain Iranian motive and blame their own countrymen, it opens you up to criticism, fair or unfair. Freedom of speech works both ways.

Posted

If conservatives would not be so ideologically blind, we would not have to.

Posted

Dude you cant call conservatives ideologically blind....thats unamerican of you! Go to mexico or canada if you want to have opposing viewpoints other than the status quo! Why on earth would you ever 2nd guess what your goverment does!

Totally unpatriotic, what would the founding fathers think of fighting the status quo!

Posted

cookingwithgas, Iran is simply less brazen than the US.

Also, do a little homework on Islamic law and a nice tidy little outclause they use when making deals with the infidels(that include you and I). They can public declare something but per this law they are not obligated to come thru. I call it lying.

I see where your coming from don't get me wrong.

Posted

You have to decide who you want to have the greater infulence in the world...Without the USA, someone would fill that vaccum, and you have to ask what happens then? I would argue that the USA has done far more good in the world than not...If you disagree, spell it out where we've done so much damage...11 known democracies at the end of WW2, more than 120 now...I suspect US foreign policy and power-projection has as much to do with that as anything. So, again, tell me how WRONG we are. We've made mistakes, now doubt, but our enemies aren't as pure as driven snow, and have done little good for humanity or this world.

Posted

What if its England or France that become the vacuum they are former power houses...whats wrong with that? they are our allies and friends. Iran will never ever ever become more of a power than either of those countries...yes not even bigger than the french!

Sure the US has done a ton of good, we defeated facism, invented the automobile(take that god, we dont need your horse) helped poor and suffering people all over the world....except we cant help our own poor so that is a fault I think.

We tried to stop communism but we didnt. Dont count us winning the cold war as the end of communism, its called the People Republic of China (who happens to be our best friend) Vietnam and Iraq 2.0 reaffirmed something thats been around for a long ass time....people will change when they themselves want to change....Force only makes them do it out of fear. Fear will make people lash out negatively, like a caged dog.

Who are we to project our values all over the world.... Do you want a democrat projecting their values to your republican children or vice versa. Do you as a Christian want a Muslim to project his faith and values on you....most likely not. Yes we have done good, but if someone doesnt agree with us we have to listen why and what can we do to find a common ground. You cant have everything your way.

And if you view people as your enemy nothing will ever get done because enemy=bad bad=must be stopped by all means=I dont listen till you stop.....wow where have I heard that before....oh yeah Bush 2.0

Posted

There is also another phrase to consider since Ineedadinnerjacket brought up Jesus.

"Woe to you when men speak highly of you".

Posted

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: People throughout the world understand why we do what we do. What's annoying is our sactimonious BS.

Posted

What if its England or France that become the vacuum they are former power houses...whats wrong with that? they are our allies and friends. Iran will never ever ever become more of a power than either of those countries...yes not even bigger than the french!

Sure the US has done a ton of good, we defeated facism, invented the automobile(take that god, we dont need your horse) helped poor and suffering people all over the world....except we cant help our own poor so that is a fault I think.

We tried to stop communism but we didnt. Dont count us winning the cold war as the end of communism, its called the People Republic of China (who happens to be our best friend) Vietnam and Iraq 2.0 reaffirmed something thats been around for a long ass time....people will change when they themselves want to change....Force only makes them do it out of fear. Fear will make people lash out negatively, like a caged dog.

Who are we to project our values all over the world.... Do you want a democrat projecting their values to your republican children or vice versa. Do you as a Christian want a Muslim to project his faith and values on you....most likely not. Yes we have done good, but if someone doesnt agree with us we have to listen why and what can we do to find a common ground. You cant have everything your way.

And if you view people as your enemy nothing will ever get done because enemy=bad bad=must be stopped by all means=I dont listen till you stop.....wow where have I heard that before....oh yeah Bush 2.0

You are vastly understating the good the US has done in this world...Ask Japan and Europe (both rebuilt by us) how badly that experiment has been? Ask the South Koreans the same question.

As for Iran, they are strong enough to project power on to their neighbors, and that would not be a good thing.

It's not a matter of stepping aside and letting someone we agree with or like carry the load...It's way bigger than that. And if you think China and Russia, especially Russia, wouldn't like to project more influence and power in the world than you are just naive.

And believe it or not, some people see diplomacy and good will as weakness and appeasement.

Posted

America's done a lotta good and a lotta bad. It has done both to advance its own cause and nothing more.

America does things to advance America, nothing more.

Posted

That's the thing, and we can argue that our actions are done for the common good until the cows come home, but in point of fact we do what we do for our benefit in the vast majority of cases.

Think of it this way: Iran sends money to Palestinian refugees. Let's say 60 percent of that money actually feeds people. The other 40 percent is somehow funneled to military operations. Can they say they are going good or not?

From our perspective: hey, we invaded Iraq, thousands upon thousands died, more displaced...but they have self government now; wasn't that worth it? Well...of course not! We invaded because we wanted to protect the oil system, from some goofy idea of creating a base of democracy in a region not well equipped to deal with that form of government, to show the Islamic world we were serious, among others....all thought to benefit us. The fact that we were only about halfway to meeting those goals made us talk more about "freeing Iraqis" when in reality we could care less - if we actually cared about people and helping them, our forces would be in Somalia and such, not Iraq.

So the facts are the facts - we as nations are entirely self serving, whether we are the US or Iran. Those are the facts unfiltered by patriotic glasses. I am all for us leading the world, as there are no other nations with the power to do so effectively, but leading is different from dictating.

Posted

What is Iran etc doing in Somalia?

I agree. America is about American "interests". But lets look in the mirror individually.

Are we not about our OWN intrests as well at the end of the day?

We say the govt should redistribute wealth, provide more health care, education and such but what do we do as an individual?

I totally agree on the sanctimonious part. Very true.

But we have been in a Catch 22 for 50 years now. Get involved and we are cursed in the international arena.

Don't get involved and the same happens.

Here is the deep dark secret though. Iraq is NOT about oil.

Its two fold. One is plausible sounding the other is not.

One is to make the ME more like the rest of the world. Easier to intergrate for assimilation.

The other is going to sound rather kooky but consider the powers that be the last few years and in general.

They want Iraq(Babylon) to make a come back. Most don't really need to do alot of homework to figure that out.