Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Go To Girl

Steve Smith Punt Return

43 posts in this topic

it got 10 yards pretty good.

yeah - it's been updated in the playoff sticky - night game on the 10th.

What was with that? I know Mark Jones wasn't doing all that great, but seeing him back there was surprising, exciting (even though it didn't amount to anything) and disconcerting at the same time. I only remember seeing him one time.

I thought Jones did okay today. Saints had good ST coverage.

It's a judgment call honestly. Yes, it's a risk, but there's also the school of thought that says there's no such thing as putting the ball in a playmaker's hands too much.

The way I looked at it was Smitty wasn't getting the ball. So Fox and company decided to put their best players in position to make a play. Made good sense to me. I liked it and respected the decision.

I think I remember seeing Smith on the bench before he returned the punt looking pretty pissed...like he wanted to contribute more, but he just wasn't getting the touches. Next thing you know, he is back there to return the punt. Coincidence? I think not.

Punt returners don't have a 40% chance of dying on the field. I wasn't worried for a second. It's nice to see that he wanted to get involved more. He didn't have to return the punt to make an impact seeing as how he bailed the whole team out on that comeback drive, but I admire his passion to contribute.

They put him back there in a game within the last couple weeks but the ball was either fair caught or he let it go for a touchback IIRC

What was with that?

Stupid is what it was...I don't care how many people thought it was great. It ain't worth losing your star WR on a friggin' punt return where guys can tee off on him. We have a PR man, let him do his job.

Curious move at best but I'm going to agree with Shinner here.

It ain't worth losing your star WR on a friggin' punt return where guys can tee off on him. We have a PR man, let him do his job.

Whether Smith wanted to do it or not the bigger picture should have been the deciding factor.

If Smith had been injured on the return what would we be saying here right now?

From John Fox.

Q. Why did Steve Smith return a punt yesterday?

"He's a guy who's been pretty adequate at that position before. As we get into this next (post) season, he may or may not be something we look at. We don't want the playoffs to be the first time he did it. He's practiced there, but we want to see him in a game situation."

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/12/foxs-monday-new.html