#16 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

Punt returners don't have a 40% chance of dying on the field. I wasn't worried for a second. It's nice to see that he wanted to get involved more. He didn't have to return the punt to make an impact seeing as how he bailed the whole team out on that comeback drive, but I admire his passion to contribute.

#17 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:04 AM

They put him back there in a game within the last couple weeks but the ball was either fair caught or he let it go for a touchback IIRC

#18 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

What was with that?

Stupid is what it was...I don't care how many people thought it was great. It ain't worth losing your star WR on a friggin' punt return where guys can tee off on him. We have a PR man, let him do his job.

#19 Scutty

Scutty

Huddle Kiwi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Curious move at best but I'm going to agree with Shinner here.

It ain't worth losing your star WR on a friggin' punt return where guys can tee off on him. We have a PR man, let him do his job.

Whether Smith wanted to do it or not the bigger picture should have been the deciding factor.
If Smith had been injured on the return what would we be saying here right now?

#20 runrunpass

runrunpass

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

From John Fox.

Q. Why did Steve Smith return a punt yesterday?

"He's a guy who's been pretty adequate at that position before. As we get into this next (post) season, he may or may not be something we look at. We don't want the playoffs to be the first time he did it. He's practiced there, but we want to see him in a game situation."

http://blogs.charlot...monday-new.html

#21 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

lol @ "pretty adequate"

I honestly didn't realize it was him until he made that little dart move.

#22 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

Steve Smith is not a pussy. He can handle a punt return, guys. Whenever he takes a huge shot on a bad play, he always bounces right back up, but when it's a punt return, there's a suddenly a huge chance that he'll get a career-ending injury? Please. You guys just love to worry over nothing.

#23 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

I made a topic a few weeks ago before the huddle went MIA about trying smith at PR

i was thinking we would bench jones for smith which would lead to having a very strong 4 WR set and it would add a game breaking element to the return game that jones doesn't bring

the playoff atmosphere is a perfect time to try it too

I don't know if they will go through with it but it would be a very interesting move if they did, the announcers would be all over it

#24 runrunpass

runrunpass

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

I made a topic a few weeks ago before the huddle went MIA about trying smith at PR

i was thinking we would bench jones for smith which would lead to having a very strong 4 WR set and it would add a game breaking element to the return game that jones doesn't bring

the playoff atmosphere is a perfect time to try it too

I don't know if they will go through with it but it would be a very interesting move if they did, the announcers would be all over it

Yeah, making Jones inactive and using Smith on punt and kick off returns and activating Jarrett and Hackett would be great.

#25 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,302 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

From John Fox.

Q. Why did Steve Smith return a punt yesterday?

"He's a guy who's been pretty adequate at that position before. As we get into this next (post) season, he may or may not be something we look at. We don't want the playoffs to be the first time he did it. He's practiced there, but we want to see him in a game situation."

http://blogs.charlot...monday-new.html

Well, I like this better than going for the kill that some people said was the reason. But when he went down hard, I nearly had a heart attack.

#26 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

It's not an injury concern, it's stamina. Smith would be way too tired for his 4th quarter heroics were used to seeing.

#27 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, making Jones inactive and using Smith on punt and kick off returns and activating Jarrett and Hackett would be great.

Hell yeah...Steve Smith is not a pussy. He can handle a punt return. Whenever he takes a huge shot on a bad play, he always bounces right back up. No worries.

#28 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

why would that be a great idea? Jones will pretty much have a greater impact on our game than both of those receivers put together. No offense to either of them, but Jones has been giving us great field position all season. I don't see why we would want to take that away just so we could see 4 wr sets, only to end up passing it to Moose and Smitty as usual.

Edited by megadeth078, 29 December 2008 - 08:07 PM.

#29 2plankingpanther

2plankingpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Why can't Jones KR and PR?95% of you thought it was a good idea to have Smitty do returns and I'm sure he is capable,but is that worth losing our # 1 weapon,the opponents ST players go running down the field like kamakazies ready to break bones!Yeah,Smitty is tough but poo happens,especially on returns.I cringe everytime I see Smitty doing a return,if he wants more action,throw him the ball more,but Jake also needs to spread the wealth too!Besides,didn't Smitty get well over a 100 yards yesterday?:nonod:

#30 runrunpass

runrunpass

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Why can't Jones KR and PR?95% of you thought it was a good idea to have Smitty do returns and I'm sure he is capable,but is that worth losing our # 1 weapon,the opponents ST players go running down the field like kamakazies ready to break bones!Yeah,Smitty is tough but sh*t happens,especially on returns.I cringe everytime I see Smitty doing a return,if he wants more action,throw him the ball more,but Jake also needs to spread the wealth too!Besides,didn't Smitty get well over a 100 yards yesterday?:nonod:

He never got hurt returning punts his first 3 years but he broke his leg in 2004 at WR he has as much of a chance of getting hurt playing WR as he does returning punts.
You guys are being dumbasses, in the playoffs you don't play afraid to get injured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.