• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

About 30 minutes ago he said that Fox is planning on coaching out the last year of his contract and then testing the market with other teams. If its the Panthers then so be it...if he gets offered more money somewhere else then he'd be interested. He plans on being the top free agent coach after the 2010season, which I don't doubt that he will be.

My question is this...

The goal is to make the playoffs. So, if Fox makes the playoffs and then goes to the market as probably the most sought after coach in the league next year then what is the point in keeping him right now? We can either go ahead and pay for a guy that most in the know consider the best football coach on the market right now (Bill Cowher). OR...we can get into a bidding war with another team over a coach that will end up getting overpaid next year (Fox). I don't see the logic in keeping Fox with one year left on his contract. Why not just let him go and get Cowher?

#2 Cap'n

Cap'n

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

No football in '11. JR has no clue whats gunna happen then with the league and salaries and the new CBA. Doesnt wanna be on the books or tied down for that season yet. Fox isnt a bad coach and his contracts ends at the perfect time. Once the future of the NFL is set in stone, then expect long terms moves to be made

#3 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,766 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

I saw this and was going to post it as well... fug him. If that's his plan, then fire his ass. Talk about self-absorbed. King didn't just say test the market, he said Fox's plan was to finish out his contract and be the top "free agent in the coaching market."

Everyone keeps saying that it will be such a dramatic change and be an adjustment period if we have to start over, well if he's planning on leaving anyway, let's go ahead and get it going.

And what if he screws us and says he hasn't made a decision until Cowher, Shanahan, Billick, etc. are off the market, then quits. Sounds like a dick move that he would be capable of at this point.

#4 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,935 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

When you look at it that way. You might as well either fire him or give him a new contract now. I really belive JR is trying to call his bluff and it won't work based on Fox' past and how stubborn he is. This whole situation his going to make the Panthers the laughing stock of the NFL. Watch, we lose out on Cowher and Fox moves on next year. Not that I really care if Cowher comes to Carolina or not. If it were up to me I'd keep Fox.

Edited by Jangler, 03 January 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#5 charlottenian

charlottenian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Why does John Fox think he is going to be the top FA coach.... he is a borderline mediocre coach who only succeeds when he gets the last place schedule. There are guys out there who have superbowl rings who don't have a coaching job (Shanahan, Cowher, Billick)

#6 charlottenian

charlottenian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

If I was the big cat, I would try to trade Fox for anything I can get and rather than sink a mega contract into Fox and his lame ass coaching style next year, I would rather give that to a rejuvenated Cowher who will bring toughness and attitude to this team

#7 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Both sides are using Peter King as a tool. The new team president wants Fox to quit so he doesn't pay 6 Million for him and so he can put his own coaching "stamp" on the organization, so he says "no extension" in hopes Fox quits. So Fox says "I ain't quitting, I'll be coach this year, get my money, then go elsewhere."

The whole thing will probably end in a contract buyout of Fox in two weeks. Zimmer will be the next head coach. IMO.

#8 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

lol

this sounds like a lame duck year for us, and you know how fun those are just ask Seahawk fans

#9 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,766 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

Both sides are using Peter King as a tool. The new team president wants Fox to quit so he doesn't pay 6 Million for him and so he can put his own coaching "stamp" on the organization, so he says "no extension" in hopes Fox quits. So Fox says "I ain't quitting, I'll be coach this year, get my money, then go elsewhere."

The whole thing will probably end in a contract buyout of Fox in two weeks. Zimmer will be the next head coach. IMO.

You're right about the leverage through media... Never thought about Zimmer... Sounds good, as long as he brings a creative and consistent OC with him. *EDIT:or take the kid gloves off of Davidson.

#10 ncguy2184

ncguy2184

Mmmm BoJangles......

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach S.C

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Man i dont know what i want to do i mean i like fox you know what your going to get with him you know that you will be in the playoffs every other year and that you will have a good team every year. But some of the things he does is so stupid like not benching jake for one,But i guess you can say im alot like coach fox i really like cowher but im scared to change coaches and go back to like we were like the 1-15 season.

Im scared to make a change but maybe its for the good but if we do i want it to be coach cowher and thats it.

#11 Acewalker

Acewalker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

Man I hope we get rid of him, just looking for the money

#12 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

When you look at it that way. You might as well either fire him or give him a new contract now. I really belive JR is trying to call his bluff and it won't work based on Fox' past and how stubborn he is. This whole situation his going to make the Panthers the laughing stock of the NFL. Watch, we lose out on Cowher and Fox moves on next year. Not that I really care if Cowher comes to Carolina or not. If it were up to me I'd keep Fox.

This would be similar to being the laughing stock of the NFL this year for continuing to start Delhomme when everyone short of your neighborhood bag lady knows Jake needed to be benched.
......On second thought she knew as well.

#13 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

If I was the big cat, I would try to trade Fox for anything I can get and rather than sink a mega contract into Fox and his lame ass coaching style next year, I would rather give that to a rejuvenated Cowher who will bring toughness and attitude to this team

I like the call.

#14 SMACKDAB

SMACKDAB

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like he has been taking strategy 101 from Peppers.

:D

#15 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Bring in the chin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.