Photo
- - - - -

if the phantom fumble had been called correctly.....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 beasonfanclub

beasonfanclub

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

would the yardage gained on that play put brees over the marino yardage record?

#2 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

Didn't they score a touchdown on that drive anyway through the air? I don't think it would have mattered since they made up those yards a few plays later.

What WOULD have broken the record is if Baker hadn't shanked his punt late. A normal punt would have given Brees enough room to break the record if they had scored.

#3 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

Brees pass at the end didn't make any sense, if he was going for the win, he should have thrown deeper

if we was going for the record, he could have gone underneath and still gotten the record

instead he throws somewhere in between, and not only that, it was a horrible pass

that was really a head scratcher

#4 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

Brees pass at the end didn't make any sense, if he was going for the win, he should have thrown deeper

if we was going for the record, he could have gone underneath and still gotten the record

instead he throws somewhere in between, and not only that, it was a horrible pass

Selfish, he was going for the record not the win. Can you imagine if, had Jake been in the same situation going for a record instead of the win, what would have happened here in the huddle?

#5 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

That play was called correctly. On the field. The replay overturned it which still baffles me.

#6 Edward Teach

Edward Teach

#PanthersMafia

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

I think they were going for a hook-n-ladder type deal on that last pass. Otherwise, he would've just dinked/dunked underneath to one of those open receivers to secure the record. And, it looked like Brees' intended receiver may have quit on the route.

#7 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

That play was called correctly. On the field. The replay overturned it which still baffles me.

What's funny is in the Broncos -vs- Chargers game (IIRC, maybe hte Cowboys -vs- Eagles game), the opposite type of play happened where a player caught the ball and turned and as quickly as it hit his hands, he dropped it. They called it a fumble.

Yet, when the dude in our game takes 3 steps and loses the ball, it's not a fumble.

#8 CarolinaKid704

CarolinaKid704

C***

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

This type of play I believe is the hardest for the ref to judge. Slow motion makes you think the receiver had the ball longer than he did. For most cases, they are right for calling an incomplete pass.

However, this replay has all the signs of a completed caught turned forced fumble.
-Reciever grabs the ball out of the air with two hands and proceeds to land on one foot.
-While his second foot is coming down the ball is tucked away to his chest
-Two feet are planted on the turf with motion of a third step to advance....
-STRIP!

ruling on the field: Complete BS

#9 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

What's funny is in the Broncos -vs- Chargers game (IIRC, maybe hte Cowboys -vs- Eagles game), the opposite type of play happened where a player caught the ball and turned and as quickly as it hit his hands, he dropped it. They called it a fumble.

Yet, when the dude in our game takes 3 steps and loses the ball, it's not a fumble.

Yep, saw that. Think it was the Eagles/Cowturds game.

#10 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Selfish, he was going for the record not the win. Can you imagine if, had Jake been in the same situation going for a record instead of the win, what would have happened here in the huddle?

If Jake had been trying to throw it 70 yards into the end zone he would have looked like a bigger idiot. The play was designed to be caught and then they would have tried to lateral it around. No way could Brees throw a hail mary to the 25 to score.

#11 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

The call was an OBVIOUS catch and fumble. The over turn was complete bullshit.

#12 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

You dont think Drew Brees can throw the ball 60 yards to the endzone???? They had they ball at the 40. I could get the ball to the 25 as you stated Brees could only do and I cant throw. thats only 35 yards dont act like they were on their on 20, selfish play. It gave his team no chance to win. I am glad he is not our QB

#13 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

You dont think Drew Brees can throw the ball 60 yards to the endzone???? They had they ball at the 40. I could get the ball to the 25 as you stated Brees could only do and I cant throw. thats only 35 yards dont act like they were on their on 20, selfish play. It gave his team no chance to win. I am glad he is not our QB

If he wanted to be selfish, he wouldve dunked it to the closest man to him to get the record which he didn't.

#14 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

You dont think Drew Brees can throw the ball 60 yards to the endzone???? They had they ball at the 40.

If he threw it 60 yards, it wouldn't of made it to the endzone. He wasn't throwing from the line of scrimmage. And NO! He can't throw it that far. Brees isn't known for having a very strong arm.

#15 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

you CAN throw it from the line of scrimmage the play was drawn up for him to break the record not win the game. Last time I checked your allowed to release the ball at the line of scrimmage, in fact according to the ruling in one of our games. You are allowed to throw the ball if you are past the line of scrimmage so long as atleast ur pinkie toe of one foot is behind the line. the Wr he threw it to WAS the closest reciever, and he obviously had no idea the ball would be thrown to him because he Assumed his team would try to win the game. Thats why it wasnt completed. Stupid WR how dare he think hes Qb would go for the win. and that would have been a fancy hook and lateral with no other Wr around him. I can throw the ball 40 yards I am pretty sure a professional Qb can make it to the endzone. I dont no why you insist on defending a loser from a losing orginazation anyways?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com