Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another nail in the coffin of the silly "we can get kids to stop having sex" movement

48 posts in this topic

Posted

I am conservative and a Christian, and I have no problem with sex ed.

Sex education or sex with ed? :)

Posted

In truth, sexual education in this day and age is useless for most kids. All they did when I took it was give the how to's and the dangers. The Wikipedia article on it will tell more than that.

Posted

Better than being a complete dumb ass I guess...

I don't know, is it? You're speaking from experience, right?

Posted

I think sex ed is important, but everything should be taught - even the virtues of abstaining. All the odds of those methods should be taught, too.

Posted

Statements like that take away any credibility you have to complain about anyone else being bigoted or hateful (unless you're comfortable with hypocrisy).

You want to criticize logic, thought process or content, fine. Name calling doesn't strengthen your argument. It makes you sound like people I've heard you be critical of.

Don't be so hard on him...He believes he's superior to everyone else, so in his mind, he is...The reality is completely different.

Posted

So during the 70's, STD's, uplanned and teenage pregancies were at an all time high.

Not much sex ed going on at the time.

Isn't this classic cause and effect? You have UNPROTECTED sex, the above are what CAN happen. May not, but CAN.

Get the proper protection, you STILL CAN get all the above. Not as likely, but likely.

Abstain from sex, pretty good shot you won't get the above. Pretty simple.

I think the emphasis is on the wrong directive. Teach both paths.

That way the child/teen is informed. And when they want to crank out kids like it's making cookies, knock yourself out.

BTW- Isn't the abstain angle similar to the threat of Global Warming?

There are tangible and not so tangible things on that so(mocking concerned voice) we all need to do our part and "abstain" from using fossil fuels or abstain from styrofoam cups etc.

So lets teach kids NOT to use a car and ride mass transit because he will single handlely alter the course of the Earth due to abstaining from building a carbon footprint.

But not for sex. Roll the dice kid.

The so called educated elite are some of the biggest jackasses around.

Posted

Ding ding ding

Posted

So during the 70's, STD's, uplanned and teenage pregancies were at an all time high.

Not much sex ed going on at the time.

Isn't this classic cause and effect? You have UNPROTECTED sex, the above are what CAN happen. May not, but CAN.

Get the proper protection, you STILL CAN get all the above. Not as likely, but likely.

Abstain from sex, pretty good shot you won't get the above. Pretty simple.

I think the emphasis is on the wrong directive. Teach both paths.

That way the child/teen is informed. And when they want to crank out kids like it's making cookies, knock yourself out.

BTW- Isn't the abstain angle similar to the threat of Global Warming?

There are tangible and not so tangible things on that so(mocking concerned voice) we all need to do our part and "abstain" from using fossil fuels or abstain from styrofoam cups etc.

So lets teach kids NOT to use a car and ride mass transit because he will single handlely alter the course of the Earth due to abstaining from building a carbon footprint.

But not for sex. Roll the dice kid.

Wow, people say I reach....

Teens have a limited sense of repercussions as compared to self-control. The best you can do is make it as easy as possible to make sure they have as much information (yes, including the benefits of abstention) and access to birth and STD control (yes that includes condoms at school; no parental consent needed as thats just another potential barrier to reducing pregnancies and STDs) as possible. I would hope my daughter would feel OK with telling me if she wanted to go on the pill or whatever, but she might not feel comfortable with that, and if I'm not going to know that she is having sex, I'd rather her have access to guilt free protection than just take a chance so as not to anger Dad.

Posted

Wow, people say I reach....

Teens have a limited sense of repercussions as compared to self-control. The best you can do is make it as easy as possible to make sure they have as much information (yes, including the benefits of abstention) and access to birth and STD control (yes that includes condoms at school; no parental consent needed as thats just another potential barrier to reducing pregnancies and STDs) as possible. I would hope my daughter would feel OK with telling me if she wanted to go on the pill or whatever, but she might not feel comfortable with that, and if I'm not going to know that she is having sex, I'd rather her have access to guilt free protection than just take a chance so as not to anger Dad.

That's not a decision you can make for every other parent though. A lot of parents don't want their kids having access to birth control without their knowledge. And regardless of what you think of that mindset, to undermine their authority in that matter is completely and utterly wrong.

And by the way, the defeatist notion that every single teenager out there is going to have sex and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it is just as silly as pretending that none of them are interested.

Posted

It's pretty simple really. Teach the honest truth, allow safe and easy access to condoms and birth control with an opt out program if the parents wish.

Those that opt out can take their children to quitely get abortions like all the good, upstanding families did in my high school.

Posted

Really.

And I know a lot of parents don't want their kids to have access to birth control....I also remember my parents not telling me I needed to wear a seat belt. Ever. The government underminded them, and now it's a non-event.

The only difference here is that sex is a much more emotional topic, filled with feelings of guilt and religious claptrap. It's more of a reflection of parental denial that their kids are growing up than anything else.

You may not agree, but kids go to school for more than just learning facts. They are introduced to society, laws, and rules. Parents can tell you about sex and relationships, but most of a kids learning about those things take place at school where they are put into daily situations with the opposite (or the same, this is 2008 after all) sex. In order to keep their kids somehow shielded from this, lots of parents homeschool their own values into their kids - and just like in a normal school, sometimes they come out fine, sometimes they come out disfunctional.

My take on it is that if you love your child and truly care about their happiness, and you trust them and have raised them right, then you owe it to them to give them the most honest and straightforward information you can, instead of working to protect your own self interests.

Posted

Ding ding ding

Fries are done?