Photo
- - - - -

ACC Basketball Scheduling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 chucktownpanther

chucktownpanther

College football is king

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

Ok before I ask please don't get mad at me because I know I am about to sound ignorant and stupid and whatever else pops in your mind. I don't watch college basketball religiously, analyze players and schedules, and don't know the starting lineup of my team, so you can even say maybe I am not even a true fan of a college bball team whatever.

But is there a reason why UNC is not playing Clemson in Clemson this year? Is that usual for teams to play once in the conference. I thought that each team played the conference teams twice a home-and-home like the NFL does with the divisions. Someone please help me out.

#2 PlayMoore!

PlayMoore!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

it used to be that way, but now there are so many teams in the acc that it would be impossible to play all of the teams twice. They do the same thing in football now.

#3 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,260 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

it used to be that way, but now there are so many teams in the acc that it would be impossible to play all of the teams twice.

If the Big East tried that, they wouldn't have a non-conference season.

But, now that I think of it, is there a method to the madness of who plays twice in a year in the ACC? The Big XII and SEC I know play their divisional teams twice and the non-divisions once. I didn't see that in the ACC, so I'm guessing that there's some sort of permanent matchups that will happen twice a year, and the others rotate.

#4 APCegr

APCegr

Huddle Engineer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

But, now that I think of it, is there a method to the madness of who plays twice in a year in the ACC? The Big XII and SEC I know play their divisional teams twice and the non-divisions once. I didn't see that in the ACC, so I'm guessing that there's some sort of permanent matchups that will happen twice a year, and the others rotate.

Yes that is correct, the ACC uses a certain method to allow Rivalry games to be played every year, the big one being duke vs. carolina. Thats all the ACC really cares about is those two playing each year, other schools like Miami and VT may only see duke and carolina once, Im not sure of the formula exactly on how they figure it out but i know there are 12 teams so they play each other at least once and then 5 of them at least twice thus adding up a 16 game conference champion and so on... Only thing that sucks kind of is that UNC will not play Wake twice each year or state for that matter, it just depends on the rotation...

#5 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

it used to be that way, but now there are so many teams in the acc that it would be impossible to play all of the teams twice. They do the same thing in football now.

Wouldn't be impossible, would just mean dropping a few games against Radford and William and Mary.

I am old enough to remember when UNC/Duke/NCSU/Wake played the big 4 tournament against each other even before the conference season started. It was a great thing, and an exciting way to start the season.

#6 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

acc play to finally start up. i know duke has vt this weekend (football is over, will any vt fans remember we have ather sports the rest of the year :( )

#7 solorca

solorca

Eric Shelton Superfan.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Each team has two rivals. They always play those rivals in a home and home series. Of the other nine teams, you play a home and home with three of them, a home game only against three, and a road game only against three. The nine "non-rival" teams rotate every year in a three year cycle.

I miss having nine teams. Things worked so well.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com