what is the "wild hog" ??????

lol lol lol you mean cat?

#17 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

I know it was college but last year WVU ran formation out of the backfield with Slaton/Devine it worked pretty well.

Excuse me? College? College? College? I love you man but college, especially from your own home state is pretty stupid to this argument don't you think?

#18 dksmith17

dksmith17

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

Why not have some plays were we have both of them in the backfield as say split backs. I think this would be a good formation to have to try and fool people a little bit.

Because that doesn't work in modern day NFL.

#19 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

You're not gettin either one of them :P

I don't want them. I want them out of the division ;)

#20 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Excuse me? College? College? College? I love you man but college, especially from your own home state is pretty stupid to this argument don't you think?

You missed the first part of my statement. But it could work with Williams and Stewart.

Hey just camer of with a new nickame. Smith & Wesson.

#21 Vegas Heel

Vegas Heel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

A lot of people would have said the same thing about the Wild Cat.

Can you explain why it doesn't work?

Here is how it could work. If you look at why a basic screen pass works you will see that it is typically a blitz beater. If a D is blitzing and you fake the toss to say Stewart and then dropped the screen in to Williams and the non-blitzing defenders bite on the fake then you have Williams in space with room...that usually means a big play.

I know that Fox & Co. haven't liked the screen so far this year but I am hoping that they are just saving it for the playoffs. :cool:

#22 Vegas Heel

Vegas Heel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

Yeah...well the split back is a variation of a college set...the comparison isn't too absurd. :rolleyes:

It is typically more of a west coast style play...but I think it could work for Double Trouble...or whatever they are calling themselves these days. :ihih:

#23 dksmith17

dksmith17

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

A lot of people would have said the same thing about the Wild Cat.

Can you explain why it doesn't work?

Here is how it could work. If you look at why a basic screen pass works you will see that it is typically a blitz beater. If a D is blitzing and you fake the toss to say Stewart and then dropped the screen in to Williams and the non-blitzing defenders bite on the fake then you have Williams in space with room...that usually means a big play.

I know that Fox & Co. haven't liked the screen so far this year but I am hoping that they are just saving it for the playoffs. :cool:

Well the wildcat is a version of single wing football which has always had a presence in football but just had a recent resurgence in the NFL and even on the Panthers play book. The thing is that single wing formations usually use a RB/FB combo not a RB/RB combo which exaggerated the wave of a 1 back offense in modern day NFL. The combination of Ricky and R Brown was largely used for gadget plays, FB/RB is what they usually line up in. Further info is here:

http://vault.sportsi...161/1/index.htm

#24 JJT

JJT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

in a two back set someone is likely needed to block, and thats what Hoov does.

Line DeAngelo up at FB, toss to Stewart at RB, end around to Smitty who then heaves it to DeAngelo who is 15 yards past everyone by that time.

Jake lays out the middle linebacker for extra form points.

#25 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,827 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

I guess you dont include that extra blocker as a reason for success. Both want to run right up the middle and gain big yards which requires an extra blocker, whether it be Hoover leading or an extra TE to help with stretch plays. So who would be the lead blocker in this scenario? How would this fool anyone? Its these ignorant suggestions that really grind my gears.

#26 kboaman

kboaman

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

IMO I think it work work....not as a play we would see every drive, but it should definatly be in there somehow.

#27 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

No, I heard every word of your post. I heard every word of everybody's post

#28 Vegas Heel

Vegas Heel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well the wildcat is a version of single wing football which has always had a presence in football but just had a recent resurgence in the NFL and even on the Panthers play book. The thing is that single wing formations usually use a RB/FB combo not a RB/RB combo which exaggerated the wave of a 1 back offense in modern day NFL. The combination of Ricky and R Brown was largely used for gadget plays, FB/RB is what they usually line up in. Further info is here:

http://vault.sportsi...161/1/index.htm

Not sure I get what you are saying...your original point was that the split back wont work in the NFL. I know what the wildcat is.

I was asking you why you think the split won't work. IIRC some team are still using it...mostly west coast Os.

#29 Vegas Heel

Vegas Heel

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

I guess you dont include that extra blocker as a reason for success. Both want to run right up the middle and gain big yards which requires an extra blocker, whether it be Hoover leading or an extra TE to help with stretch plays. So who would be the lead blocker in this scenario? How would this fool anyone? Its these ignorant suggestions that really grind my gears.

Yeah...I wouldn't necessarily see it as a running play unless Stew could lay out a linebacker w/ a block (which I think he could do)...but it would work for a fake/screen as I have suggested.

#30 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,795 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

It does on Madden! :party:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.