Photo
- - - - -

Will our secondary hold up in the playoffs?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Seems the secondary has been somewhat questionable as of late giving up sizeable chunks of yardage. I am hoping they aren't a liability in the playoffs.

#2 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

to be fair this last half of our season was brutal agains the D, we we're facing alot of top 5 teams in offense and passing offense

I think they'll be ok, john fox has a good habit of getting our team ready for the playoffs

#3 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,067 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

We had better get ready to score some points!

#4 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• HUDDLER
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

They'll be fine once the DLine figures out how to actually pressure the opposing QB. You know, instead of just rushing right past him?

#5 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

They'll be fine once the DLine figures out how to actually pressure the opposing QB. You know, instead of just rushing right past him?

ding ding ding. DL needs to step up 1st and foremost.

#6 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

The D-line needs to get healthy 1st and foremost. Other than that, Ken Lucas is my biggest worry. He seems to be every opposing QB's favorite target nowadays.

#7 mush

mush

Tailgate Czar

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

You gotta have a good QB that can complete the passes to make the secondary pay.

#8 wcd59

wcd59

Will The 3rill member

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Its not the secondary, when you are missing 1/2 your d line and you have to stick 7 to 8in the box and lose all pass coverage from your linebackers because they have to cover the run all the time. Then the safeties and the corners are stuck one on one and forced to play soft coverage, they are gonna get beat. If we get our run stoppers back, Beason and the boys can mix it up a little more and we can play tighter corners with safety back up. That is my professional opinion!!

#9 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

Its not the secondary, when you are missing 1/2 your d line and you have to stick 7 to 8in the box and lose all pass coverage from your linebackers because they have to cover the run all the time. Then the safeties and the corners are stuck one on one and forced to play soft coverage, they are gonna get beat. If we get our run stoppers back, Beason and the boys can mix it up a little more and we can play tighter corners with safety back up. That is my professional opinion!!

Agreed. I don't feel our pass rush has been up to norm this year and it has put a lot of pressure on the secondary. Here is to hoping that is fixed come the divisional round in a week or so.

#10 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

in past seasons it seemed like when Lucas was in man he would be more banged up as the season went on..maybe this was just to keep him fresh for playoff mauling? :boxing_smiley:

#11 boxer

boxer

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

in past seasons it seemed like when Lucas was in man he would be more banged up as the season went on..maybe this was just to keep him fresh for playoff mauling? :boxing_smiley:

I think that is just wishful thinking. As others have said we've had no push in the middle of the D-line. All Brees had to do was wait for the ends to go past and step up to make his throw. We have to have the pressure from the middle to make the ends effective and make the QB throw before he's ready.

#12 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

Lewis is a hell of a pass rusher. Having him back with Brayton, Johnson, and Peppers on the line will make our secondary look a TON better. To the OP, yes. No one in the NFC save Arizona is going to make our secondary break a sweat.

#13 boxer

boxer

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Lewis is a hell of a pass rusher. Having him back with Brayton, Johnson, and Peppers on the line will make our secondary look a TON better. To the OP, yes. No one in the NFC save Arizona is going to make our secondary break a sweat.

Do you think we will be getting Lewis back for the next game? I haven't heard anything of late.

#14 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

The only starter missing will be Vincent, and Bridges will spell him just fine. :)

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,639 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

Agree 100%. The teams that we will likely be facing are running teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com