Kurb

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

391 posts in this topic

I just started re-reading one of my favorites.

n1830.jpg

that's a f*cking great book right there.

Started reading the first book of The Wheel of Time series, The Eye of the World. This book is a task to get through. He delves so far into detail that it becomes difficult to follow at times.

It starts to pick up towards the end.

Robert Jordan was one of the greatest authors I've ever read, often to the detriment of the pacing and story.

I don't need to know what every servant in the White Tower is wearing, or what's on the tray they're fuging taking to whatever Aes Sedai. Or the color of the bowls on the tray even. It was novel in the first 3 books. Wore thin after that, and beyond the 6th book that's basically all that's left. Flowery descriptions. He's damn good at them.

Not necessarily saying its a good thing, but the authorship is near perfect. Story though...fug it after book 6.

Robert Jordan is(was) the James Michener of fantasy.

Take that as a compliment or an insult as you will...

I just started re-reading one of my favorites.

n1830.jpg

Damned fine read from a cant go wrong author.

Been in the middle of moving so Ive not been reading much.

Very slowly chipping away at Newtons Wake by Macleod. Its Indiana Jones in space so far. Ill give a final up or down when I'm done but so far so good.

Started reading the first book of The Wheel of Time series, The Eye of the World. This book is a task to get through. He delves so far into detail that it becomes difficult to follow at times.

Sounds like Steven King's style, he drives me crazy with that poo. Speaking of King though, he last work, "Under the Dome" was spectacular. I guess it could be considered sci-fi, and IMO, it is his best work in the past 30 years.

I just finished 'The Coming' by Halderman... meh. Decent but didn't care for the ending... kind of anti-climactic.

Probably going to start 'Forever Peace' tonight.

Sounds like Steven King's style, he drives me crazy with that poo. Speaking of King though, he last work, "Under the Dome" was spectacular. I guess it could be considered sci-fi, and IMO, it is his best work in the past 30 years.

Stephen King is hack.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead