Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

385 posts in this topic

Posted

That sounds really interesting...going to have to check that one out.

Yo man did you ever finish the Rothfuss stuff? After I was done with book two, I was really into the story...

Posted

Yo man did you ever finish the Rothfuss stuff? After I was done with book two, I was really into the story...

No. I finished the first book, but it really didn't do anything for me. Usually if I don't get hooked in the first half of a book, I'm done. I manned up and finished it out, but didn't really get into it. Not saying it's bad, just obviously not for me.

You should check out Abercrombie's First Law series...it was pretty good.

Posted

I just finished reading both books by Patrick Rothfuss. It was a great change to fantasy coming from George RR Martin.

Posted

I just finished reading both books by Patrick Rothfuss. It was a great change to fantasy coming from George RR Martin.

Yeah, after the second book was done I had a similar need for the third book like I do The Winds of Winter by Martin...

Kvothe is an interesting character, and I really liked the incorporation of sygaldry/physics/sympathy etc. that Rothfuss uses, among other things...

Posted

Bronn, did you read 'The First Law' Trilogy yet? Hop to it.

Posted

Bronn, did you read 'The First Law' Trilogy yet? Hop to it.

nope not yet... I'll put it on the list!

Posted

Yeah, after the second book was done I had a similar need for the third book like I do The Winds of Winter by Martin...

Kvothe is an interesting character, and I really liked the incorporation of sygaldry/physics/sympathy etc. that Rothfuss uses, among other things...

i'm in the same boat... can't wait for the third book

took a while to get thru the first half of the first book, but by the end of it, i was hooked. the second book was fantastic and now i just follow rothfuss' blog waiting for news on the third book

at least from following his blog, i found out that he's already signed a deal for a second trilogy with his publisher which will probably take place in the same universe

Posted

i'm in the same boat... can't wait for the third book

took a while to get thru the first half of the first book, but by the end of it, i was hooked. the second book was fantastic and now i just follow rothfuss' blog waiting for news on the third book

at least from following his blog, i found out that he's already signed a deal for a second trilogy with his publisher which will probably take place in the same universe

Yeah I try to keep up with his blog too... He does a lot for that charity, and that is great, but I want book 3 lol

Posted

Ive just got to mention this series by Hugh Howey again. Wool is the fist set of 5 novellas and is well written but pretty typical post apocalyptic fare. The human race reduced to a fraction of its current state and living in a 140 story silo. Taboos surrounding even speaking of going outside and a mystery surrounding why the sheriff would commit suicide by asking to be put out of the airlock.

Well I just finished the second book of the followup trilogy and Its really solid work. The second series of novellas is actually a prequel to the original that deals with the apocalypse itself and how humanity was relegated to the life they have in the original series. So far its following one of the architects of doomsday and how he copes with the future he has contributed to as well as leading to a linkage with the original series by telling the stories of some characters centuries after the spoilerspoilerspoiler. The series is the Shift Trilogy.

Seriously guys, this Howey dude is a solid author who has self published his way to where he is. Do yourself (and him) a favor and check out his work.

Posted

Yeah man I looked into that the other day... It is definitely pretty high up on my list now that you mentioned it...

Posted

Ive just got to mention this series by Hugh Howey again. Wool is the fist set of 5 novellas and is well written but pretty typical post apocalyptic fare. The human race reduced to a fraction of its current state and living in a 140 story silo. Taboos surrounding even speaking of going outside and a mystery surrounding why the sheriff would commit suicide by asking to be put out of the airlock.

Well I just finished the second book of the followup trilogy and Its really solid work. The second series of novellas is actually a prequel to the original that deals with the apocalypse itself and how humanity was relegated to the life they have in the original series. So far its following one of the architects of doomsday and how he copes with the future he has contributed to as well as leading to a linkage with the original series by telling the stories of some characters centuries after the spoilerspoilerspoiler. The series is the Shift Trilogy.

Seriously guys, this Howey dude is a solid author who has self published his way to where he is. Do yourself (and him) a favor and check out his work.

Just bought the Wool series... It's only $3.99 for all 5 novellas on the Kindle.

Posted

Feng Shen Ji

500x1000px-LL-08acc94f_gfeng_shen_ji_ch3_p18.jpeg

1 person likes this