Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

373 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

i don't think they are particularly poorly written (nor particularly well written) or anything, i just stopped caring.

Well I'm half way through the eighth book and I'm starting to have to chug through it. I love the story and most of the characters but RJ is soo long winded, it becomes a little bit of a chore to finish a book. I'm going to take a break when I finish this one.

But for reals people. Check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/Summoner-Chronicles-Necromancer-Book/dp/1844164683/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266510509&sr=8-2

Posted · Report post

Well I'm half way through the eighth book and I'm starting to have to chug through it. I love the story and most of the characters but RJ is soo long winded, it becomes a little bit of a chore to finish a book. I'm going to take a break when I finish this one.

But for reals people. Check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/Summoner-Chronicles-Necromancer-Book/dp/1844164683/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266510509&sr=8-2

yea and you're only half way through the series.

Posted · Report post

yea and you're only half way through the series.

I know, and it's been time well spent reading it, though once I finish the whole series I will most likely never read it again.

Posted · Report post

The Road will make you want to put your head in an oven. Just be forewarned.

Be patient with "The Road"

It's not an easy read

Loved the road.

Thanks everyone! I'll start The Road after the Olympics on a don't-have-anything-else-to-do weekend. Good thing it's the off season.

Posted · Report post

My favorite fantasy series is the 'Song of Ice and Fire' by George RR Martin.

I have really enjoyed his stuff and he not afraid to kill of main characters which is refreshing...

This right here is the best fantasy ever.

Possibly the best fiction ever.

Posted · Report post

David Eddings.

Wheel of Time is horrible. At least to me. I read it up until partway through book seven and realized that the characters were to retarded to continue.

It would have been a great series if it had ended at book three.

I think the series peaked at book 6. I don't think I ever made it around to reading the 9th or 10th book.

Posted · Report post

My post got lost in the server thingamaboo.

Ben Bova, Frank Herbert, Philip K Dick, Greg Bear, and William Gibson. They can range from easy reading to more in depth novels.

Ben Bova is great

Posted · Report post

You know, Herbert wrote more than just Dune books. They're all good.

Posted · Report post

I also recommend Robert Jordan. It did slow alittle around the middle, but it picked up again shortly thereafter. Another writer a friend let me know of was Guy Gavriel Kay. I've only read a few books, but it's a unique twist on the fantasy genre and well written.

I'm also shocked none of you recommended William Gibson for the sci-fi angle. This is the guy who termed the phrase "cyberspace cowboy" and I'd recommend all of his books except "The Difference Engine".. talk about a chore getting through a book. Neuromancer and Count Zero are terrific though, so try em out if you like that genre. :)

Posted · Report post

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game is a very good sci-fi novel. I don't know about the series that followed though.

Posted · Report post

I also recommend Robert Jordan. It did slow alittle around the middle, but it picked up again shortly thereafter. Another writer a friend let me know of was Guy Gavriel Kay. I've only read a few books, but it's a unique twist on the fantasy genre and well written.

I'm also shocked none of you recommended William Gibson for the sci-fi angle. This is the guy who termed the phrase "cyberspace cowboy" and I'd recommend all of his books except "The Difference Engine".. talk about a chore getting through a book. Neuromancer and Count Zero are terrific though, so try em out if you like that genre. :)

I aughta ban you for not reading every one of my posts carefully and taking notes.