Kurb

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

391 posts in this topic

David Eddings.

Wheel of Time is horrible. At least to me. I read it up until partway through book seven and realized that the characters were to retarded to continue.

It would have been a great series if it had ended at book three.

I think the series peaked at book 6. I don't think I ever made it around to reading the 9th or 10th book.

My post got lost in the server thingamaboo.

Ben Bova, Frank Herbert, Philip K Dick, Greg Bear, and William Gibson. They can range from easy reading to more in depth novels.

Ben Bova is great

You know, Herbert wrote more than just Dune books. They're all good.

I also recommend Robert Jordan. It did slow alittle around the middle, but it picked up again shortly thereafter. Another writer a friend let me know of was Guy Gavriel Kay. I've only read a few books, but it's a unique twist on the fantasy genre and well written.

I'm also shocked none of you recommended William Gibson for the sci-fi angle. This is the guy who termed the phrase "cyberspace cowboy" and I'd recommend all of his books except "The Difference Engine".. talk about a chore getting through a book. Neuromancer and Count Zero are terrific though, so try em out if you like that genre. :)

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game is a very good sci-fi novel. I don't know about the series that followed though.

I also recommend Robert Jordan. It did slow alittle around the middle, but it picked up again shortly thereafter. Another writer a friend let me know of was Guy Gavriel Kay. I've only read a few books, but it's a unique twist on the fantasy genre and well written.

I'm also shocked none of you recommended William Gibson for the sci-fi angle. This is the guy who termed the phrase "cyberspace cowboy" and I'd recommend all of his books except "The Difference Engine".. talk about a chore getting through a book. Neuromancer and Count Zero are terrific though, so try em out if you like that genre. :)

I aughta ban you for not reading every one of my posts carefully and taking notes.

I aughta ban you for not reading every one of my posts carefully and taking notes.

And I'd deserve it... how did I miss that? Lol

can't recommend enough the Hyperion series by dan simmons. not only some the best sci-fi i've ever read but some of the best books I've ever read. F*cking amazing. Also, anything by frank herbert (obligatory,) The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlen. The other Ender's Game books are also great.

Massive bump here... but I finally got Hyperion and just finished it today... excellent read, can't wait to get 'Fall of Hyperion'...

I can never say enough good about Richard K Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series.

Altered Carbon

Broken Angels

Woken Furies

Three of the best SiFi Ive read in a long long time. Some of his other work is less than impressive but these three are worth your time.

Almost anything by Ursula K. Le Guin is good--The Left Hand of Darkness et. al.

And if no one has said Phillip K. Dick yet, let me.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead