Photo
- - - - -

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#286 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

For fans of Hugh Howey's Wool and other works, his latest work Sand is a great read so far... I'm only 100 or so pages from finishing it, but it's as good as Wool if not better...

I also got the Dust and Shift collections that I plan on reading next...

#287 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

I just finished reading A Game of Thrones. It was a great change of pace after Jordan and Goodkind for sure.

#288 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I just finished reading A Game of Thrones. It was a great change of pace after Jordan and Goodkind for sure.

NOW READ THEM ALL!!!!!111ONE!!11

If you haven't read the Kingkiller Chronicles (by Patrick Rothfuss - titled The Name of the Wind, The Wise Man's Fear) you ought to check them out too.

#289 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,916 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

You're what's wrong with America.

It was four years ago but Bova is still putting out great books

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#290 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

You're what's wrong with America.

Because of a book?

#291 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,329 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Not going back through the thread but has anyone read any of The Beyonders series? By Brandon Mull.

I just picked it up the first book and just started it. Just wanted some opinions.

#292 raybright

raybright

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

I'm not sure if she's been mentioned already, but I would very much recommend Ursula K. LeGuin, especially 'Left Hand of Darkness'

#293 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

NOW READ THEM ALL!!!!!111ONE!!11

If you haven't read the Kingkiller Chronicles (by Patrick Rothfuss - titled The Name of the Wind, The Wise Man's Fear) you ought to check them out too.

Almost finished with ADWD, then I can stop hiding from the internet/spoilers and hang out with the cool kids again.

I've been wondering what to dig into next, I'll check those out.

#294 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm currently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch... Only about 60 pages in but I'm digging it so far... GRRM has a blurb on the cover praising it, and I've heard good reviews of it...

#295 Cage

Cage

Raging Misanthrope

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationNo Flex Zone

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives series is pretty legit. Started reading him after he finished the wheel of time. He did a better job than Jordan did after he figured the characters out imo. Only two books out so far but they are worth the read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#296 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm currently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch... Only about 60 pages in but I'm digging it so far... GRRM has a blurb on the cover praising it, and I've heard good reviews of it...

Just finished this book.

Highly recommended! Can't wait to start the next book by Lynch.

#297 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,329 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Finished up the Beyonders series about a month ago.  I just happen to pick it up on a whim at Costco, and I had never heard of them before, but I like fantasy fiction so decided WTF.

It was meh.  It was a young adult book (which I didn't realize), so was an easy read .  The overall story was pretty decent, or maybe even good, plus Brandon Mull has an amazing imagination.  But, the dialogue was extremely sophomoric and cheesy as was the overall writing.  But then again, that is what you get with YA novels.  The lines of good and evil are clearly drawn in the story, and therefore there was only one character that was truly intriguing because he was the only grey character in the books, and you were never sure where his loyalties were.  Wouldn't really recommend it for anyone on here who seem to like more mature books, but there are certainly worse book series out there.  I didn't love them, but then again I read all 3 books so....

Today I got the FIrst Law trilogy written by Joe Abercrombie.  Going to start "The Blade Itself" today.  I think a couple people have said that they have read this trilogy, I was wondering what people thought of it.  Online reviews seem mostly positive.  I will give my opinion (not that it matters, but whatevs) once I complete the trilogy!!

Edited by teeray, 31 May 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#298 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,425 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Looking for a dark fantasy series. Think Game of Thrones meets Dark Souls. Anyone help me out?

#299 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,425 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Also possibly novels like Metal Gear Solid not including Jack Ryan.

#300 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,425 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just finished this book.

Highly recommended! Can't wait to start the next book by Lynch.

damnit bronn help me pick out a dark epic adventure for adults.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com