Photo
- - - - -

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#346 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

lol I am gonna try to get Rebublic of Thieves in the next week or so... I will probably just hit up a Barnes and Noble

I thought TSROST was already out?

I hope you like the Wool stuff... I really did.

I haven't read the Hyperion stuff though.

#347 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Amazon says TSRoST doesn't come out until 10/26 or 10/28... hopefully it's not that long, and now that I think about it, I hope Amazon doesn't hold the other books until that's out to ship them

wouldn't that be a bitch?  I just ordered RSURS because I've got less than 100 pages of Lies of Locke Lamora and then they hold on to it until TSRoST comes out... that would probably be my luck lol

#348 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

hah! I'm about 235 pages or so into RSURS now and it does not disappoint!

IIRC Amazon will ship it all as it is available, as long as you didn't choose the option to "ship order in as little shipments as possible" during checkout.

#349 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Also, I just read that I have been pronouncing Jean's name incorrectly. It's "zhean" like a French accent, not "jeen" like my backwoods Johnston County mental reading voice reads...Totally makes me stumble everytime I am reading it now. Trying to train myself to read it correctly lol.

#350 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Also, you and I are pretty much dominating this thread now, lol.

#351 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Also, I just read that I have been pronouncing Jean's name incorrectly. It's "zhean" like a French accent, not "jeen" like my backwoods Johnston County mental reading voice reads...Totally makes me stumble everytime I am reading it now. Trying to train myself to read it correctly lol.

you sonofabitch... now I'm going to get stuck every time I read his name

#352 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

finished The Lies of Locke Lamora the other night... very solid ending. overall, this is one of my favorite books that i've read lately, easily

i should have the other two books by next Friday... can't wait to tear into them

#353 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

I got The Republic of Thieves this weekend. About 375 pages into Red Seas Under Red Skies now...

I'm glad you're digging the series, though! Tell all these other fools to get on board!

#354 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

I have not gotten around to reading many novels of late. I did just plow through all of The Walking Dead comics in last 10 days though

#355 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:12 AM

Let me know what you think. It isn't so much three stories at it is one long story with three volumes.

Fenris is a badass.

If there is one nitpick about these books is that it didn't spend enough time with Bethod and Fenris because there are no POV characters in their camp.

Also, Glotka and Logen are both awesome characters. Two of my favorites in recent memory.

Finally finished the series. All three were good reads. You're right that they're kind of just three volumes of one book.

The characters were all in a grey area where you root for them but they're all far from perfect. I'll probably read the standalone books he wrote with the trilogy. Have you read those?

#356 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

Finally finished the series. All three were good reads. You're right that they're kind of just three volumes of one book.

The characters were all in a grey area where you root for them but they're all far from perfect. I'll probably read the standalone books he wrote with the trilogy. Have you read those?

I have read Red Country which I really liked because it had one of my favorite character's story continued. I loved that book. It reads more like a western than fantasy, but it works for that character.

I am currently reading The Heroes. I was really excited about it because it has Black Dow and Dog Man, but I got distracted with some other books and graphic novels and am trying to get back into it. I have read half that book.

I have Best Served Cold but haven't read it yet. It is in the docket though.

I loved Logen Ninefingers and Glotka. Two of my favorite book characters of all time. Some people didn't like the ending, but I actually liked it as it was true to the characters in the book.
Spoiler

Bayaz was an interesting character and because you never got a POV chapter you never knew what he was thinking. Luthar grows on you as you get deeper into the story and his character develops.

And there are a ton of interesting side characters throughout the books. Some who become major characters in the standalone books

Just a good read IMO

He also said he is going to eventually release a new trilogy set in this world, but he hasn't said when or how many, if any, of the old characters will be major players in the new books.

It will be a while though because he plans on writing all three books before releasing the first one.

Glad u liked it though.

Who were your favorite characters?

Edited by teeray, 30 September 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#357 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

I have read Red Country which I really liked because it had one of my favorite character's story continued. I loved that book. It reads more like a western than fantasy, but it works for that character.

I am currently reading The Heroes. I was really excited about it because it has Black Dow and Dog Man, but I got distracted with some other books and graphic novels and am trying to get back into it. I have read half that book.

I have Best Served Cold but haven't read it yet. It is in the docket though.

I loved Logen Ninefingers and Glotka. Two of my favorite book characters of all time. Some people didn't like the ending, but I actually liked it as it was true to the characters in the book.

Spoiler

Bayaz was an interesting character and because you never got a POV chapter you never knew what he was thinking. Luthar grows on you as you get deeper into the story and his character develops.

And there are a ton of interesting side characters throughout the books. Some who become major characters in the standalone books

Just a good read IMO

He also said he is going to eventually release a new trilogy set in this world, but he hasn't said when or how many, if any, of the old characters will be major players in the new books.

It will be a while though because he plans on writing all three books before releasing the first one.

Glad u liked it though.

Who were your favorite characters?

My favorite character ended up being Jezal, who I straight up hated at the beginning. His arc was probably my favorite one.

Spoiler

Thoughts on Logen:

Spoiler

Black dow:

Spoiler

Bayaz:

Spoiler

Glokta:

Spoiler

I think I'll definitely read the other stuff he's written and probably his next trilogy set in that world. I hope that he does more with Yoru Sulfur, who seems like he could be a fun character to read about. An eater who doesn't follow Khalul who likes to joke around, I'd read that for sure.

#358 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

yall correct me if I am mistaken, but you are talking about Joe Abercrombie books and characters, right? He's next on my list when I finish the latest Scott Lynch book...

#359 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

yall correct me if I am mistaken, but you are talking about Joe Abercrombie books and characters, right? He's next on my list when I finish the latest Scott Lynch book...

Yep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com