Photo
- - - - -

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
361 replies to this topic

#41 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

I just got finished reading Ender in Exile and thought it was a good sequel if you are into the characters of the first book.

#42 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Greg Kinn, formerly of the Greg Kinn Band (1983's Jepardy). He has started writting novels as of late. I have read a few of his short stories and they are pretty good.

Kihn has also written four novels, his first, Horror Show in 1996, his second, Shade of Pale followed in 1997. Mojo Hand, and Big Rock Beat were sequels to Horror Show. Kihn also released a collection of short stories by himself and other well known rock musicians, named Carved in Rock: Short Stories by Musicians. Contributors include Pete Townshend, Graham Parker, Joan Jett, and Ray Davies.

Horror Show was nominated for the prestigious Bram Stoker Award

#43 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Massive bump here... but I finally got Hyperion and just finished it today... excellent read, can't wait to get 'Fall of Hyperion'...

f*ckin awesome. it gets better and better. i'll be interested to hear what you think.

#44 xXxBretWeedxXx

xXxBretWeedxXx

• PipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

I need to throw my hat into the A Song of Ice and Fire ring. Favorite author and favorite series. They're making an HBO series out of the books currently.

I like Wheel of Time also. I like a good long story and this does well for me. It's not in ASoIaF's class though.

David Eddings sucks. Reading Eddings makes me think I'm reading fiction written by a 14 year old. Boring, obvious and uninspiring.

#45 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Bump to add some really strong titles Ive finished in the last few weeks.

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
Armor - John Steakley

Ive been trying to get a copy of Hyperion but keep missing it in the stores. Looks like Amazon is my only hope.

Oh and would someone PLEASE get Fantasy its own section and get it out of the SiFi section...

#46 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

f*ckin awesome. it gets better and better. i'll be interested to hear what you think.

Glad Inmicus bumped this... I finished Fall of Hyperion about two weeks ago. Great book, couldn't put it down, but was a bit disappointed with the end of the story. I can't decide if I like the change in format between the two books. I think I liked Fall better... but mainly because it had an ending whereas Hyperion was just stopped, almost mid-sentence...

Conceptually it was pretty deep. It's funny to me how much of the imagery (the All Thing and comlogs, etc.) mimics todays tech, most of which Simmons had no clue of, like cell phones and the internet.

I am going to try and get Endymion and keep reading just to see what Simmons saw as the end to all of it... overall I'm glad I read it.

#47 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

Moderators

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

I just started reading The Foundation. Old Sci FI Book, but it is very interesting.

Edit: My wife just got the kindle, it is awesome.

#48 Inimicus

Inimicus

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Since this is in the nerd forum whats the chance we could get it stickied?

#49 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Since this is in the nerd forum whats the chance we could get it stickied?

+1

#50 Inimicus

Inimicus

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the sticky!!

Because I was posting on the way out of the door yesterday and don't think I did it justice I just want to pimp The Forever War a bit more.
From the cover:

"To say that The Forever War is the best science fiction war novel ever written is to damn it with faint praise. It is, for all its techno-extrapolative brilliance, as fine and woundingly genuine a war story as any I've read."
--William Gibson, author of Neuromancer, Spook Country

"There are a handful of moments when an American science fiction novel abruptly and seemingly effortlessly satisfied every possible expectation conveyed not only by the genre's ambitions, but of those of the whole literary landscape with which it was contemporary: Sturgeon's More Than Human, Dick's The Man In The High Castle, LeGuin's Dispossessed, Gibson's Neuromancer. The Forever War is one such book, and like those others still carries with it that air of recognition and possibility."
--Jonathan Lethem, author of Gun With Occcasional Music, Fortress of Solitude

"Perhaps the most important war novel written since Vietnam . . . Haldeman, a veteran, is a flat-out visionary . . . and protagonist William Mandella's attempt to survive and remain human in the face of an absurd almost endless war is harrowing hilarious heartbreaking and true . . . like all the best works of literature THE FOREVER WAR takes you apart and then, before you can turn that last page, puts you back together: better, wiser, more human. Simply extraordinary."
--Junot Diaz, Pulitzer Prize winning author of The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

"If there was a Fort Knox for Science Fiction writers, we'd have to lock Joe Haldeman up."
--Stephen King, author of The Shining, The Dead Zone, The Stand

It was all I could do to not turn back to page 1 and start over as I reached the end of the epilogue.