Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about my brother

66 posts in this topic

Posted

That's the part that is punishable.

Which is odd because if it isn't a direct threat then it is a no poo sherlock statement.

Everyone dies at some point.

Posted

Which is odd because if it isn't a direct threat then it is a no poo sherlock statement.

What he wrote could be interpreted as a threat to the president. Not in a general context, but when you're talking about the POTUS, an overabundance of caution is appropriate.

Posted

What he wrote could be interpreted as a threat to the president. Not in a general context, but when you're talking about the POTUS, an overabundance of caution is appropriate.

What about an overabundance of sense. They send cops out to do a psychiatric evaluation? Are the cops psychiatrists/psychologists (I get those mixed up)?

I don't disagree, I just find this whole situation stupid on both sides.

Posted

Well, they made it clear that if it's a spiritual threat, it's not a direct threat. For example, if he talks about when Obama will die and how his afterlife will be based on religious views, it's not a direct threat.

I'm not sure exactly what he said that made the Secret Service concerned. If I find out the exact quote, I'll post it on here.

Posted

What about an overabundance of sense. They send cops out to do a psychiatric evaluation? Are the cops psychiatrists/psychologists (I get those mixed up)?

I don't disagree, I just find this whole situation stupid on both sides.

I think b/c this happened one time before with the FBI, Secret Service decided to just call the 51/50 without a psychiatric evaluation. I found it odd too that our local police department was sent, but I guess they were given direct orders by the Secret Service to take action.

Posted

The fact that the mental heath services were provided at the behest of the local law enforcement and against the will of the patient is irrelevant to the health care provider. They expect, and rightly so, to be paid for services rendered. Your brother received treatment that it was determined that he needed even if he didn't recognize that he did.

You could argue that the cops misused their authority by having him 5150ed and that as a result of that you suffered damages and sue the city/county but I wouldn't hold my breath. Cops across the country are given a very wide latitude to apply these laws and they should be.

Posted

and they should be.

why?

Posted

why?

Because when they are put in the position to judge a persons likelihood to be a danger to themselves or others in a high stress environment they need to be free to make borderline calls without risk to their livelihood.

Having spent the last 10 years working with mental heath professionals I can tell you that these laws save far more people than they harm.

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the response. I wasn't disagreeing just hoping you would expand on your opinion.

Posted

I know my posts from yesterday are gone because of the new server.

A couple of points I made:

The OP seems more concerned about the fact that his brother (or the family) will have to pay the medical bills than about the mental stability of his brother. I think there's something wrong with that.

My family had to have a family member involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility because of a suicide attempt. It was necessary and right, and we did not worry that he would have to pay for the care he received.

Posted

I know my posts from yesterday are gone because of the new server.

A couple of points I made:

The OP seems more concerned about the fact that his brother (or the family) will have to pay the medical bills than about the mental stability of his brother. I think there's something wrong with that.

My family had to have a family member involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility because of a suicide attempt. It was necessary and right, and we did not worry that he would have to pay for the care he received.

Don't put words in my mouth. I know my brother and of course I'm concerned about his mental health, but that's not something I'm going to post on a message board.

My brother being billed for something he was forced to do against his will is what I'm asking b/c I don't know how the system works and if this is right.

Posted

Maybe he knows (or thinks) his brother is fine, and therefore the bills would be what he is worried about? I don't know if they should really be liable for the bills. If he was deemed ill, medicare or something would take care of him right? The fact that he's out (right?) proves he's fine and therefore shouldn't have been taken, so someone needs to pay up.

You should take this story to Fox News, they'd probably love to run it.