why?

#32 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

why?

Because when they are put in the position to judge a persons likelihood to be a danger to themselves or others in a high stress environment they need to be free to make borderline calls without risk to their livelihood.

Having spent the last 10 years working with mental heath professionals I can tell you that these laws save far more people than they harm.

#33 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the response. I wasn't disagreeing just hoping you would expand on your opinion.

#34 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,082 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

I know my posts from yesterday are gone because of the new server.

A couple of points I made:
The OP seems more concerned about the fact that his brother (or the family) will have to pay the medical bills than about the mental stability of his brother. I think there's something wrong with that.

My family had to have a family member involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility because of a suicide attempt. It was necessary and right, and we did not worry that he would have to pay for the care he received.

#35 E CaT PanTHer

E CaT PanTHer

Aite, Lets Do It !!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

I know my posts from yesterday are gone because of the new server.

A couple of points I made:
The OP seems more concerned about the fact that his brother (or the family) will have to pay the medical bills than about the mental stability of his brother. I think there's something wrong with that.

My family had to have a family member involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility because of a suicide attempt. It was necessary and right, and we did not worry that he would have to pay for the care he received.

Don't put words in my mouth. I know my brother and of course I'm concerned about his mental health, but that's not something I'm going to post on a message board.

My brother being billed for something he was forced to do against his will is what I'm asking b/c I don't know how the system works and if this is right.

#36 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Maybe he knows (or thinks) his brother is fine, and therefore the bills would be what he is worried about? I don't know if they should really be liable for the bills. If he was deemed ill, medicare or something would take care of him right? The fact that he's out (right?) proves he's fine and therefore shouldn't have been taken, so someone needs to pay up.

You should take this story to Fox News, they'd probably love to run it.

#37 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Maybe he knows (or thinks) his brother is fine, and therefore the bills would be what he is worried about? I don't know if they should really be liable for the bills. If he was deemed ill, medicare or something would take care of him right? The fact that he's out (right?) proves he's fine and therefore shouldn't have been taken, so someone needs to pay up.

They'd spin it to make his brother look like a terrorist and that our laws aren't doing enough to keep him put away.

#38 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

They'd spin it to make his brother look like a terrorist and that our laws aren't doing enough to keep him put away.

Na they would be super happy he made a threat to the president....

#39 E CaT PanTHer

E CaT PanTHer

Aite, Lets Do It !!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

It's funny that you say that b/c my brother would fit the description of a so called terrorist.

My brother was actually at Great America Theme Park just going on rides and minding his own business before this white family called the cops on him b/c they thought he looked suspicious. The cops then contacted the FBI and they FBI came over to question my brother. We've actually had the FBI over our house twice, once for racial profiling. I'm also sure all our phones are tapped and everything we do is being monitored thanks to the god damn patriot act.

#40 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

hahahha, typical post by another ignorant person.

just blending in.

#41 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Actually the fact that he was released after the 3 day minimum doesn't speak to the diagnosis in the least. Its a safeguard in the law to keep people from being held against their will for weeks simply because they pissed off a cop and a doctor. Lots of people are still dangerous to themselves or others when they walk out of the hospital in the 73ed hour but the hospitals are not prisons and you cant Baker Act your way around due process. The patient or their family has to sign a consent to hold beyond the 3 days.*

*I'm no expert on 5150s/Baker Acts/et al. just worked with lots of people who are.

#42 CosmoGirl

CosmoGirl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

You never answered my question about your brother and whether he has health insurance, which should pay for it.

#43 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

You never answered my question about your brother and whether he has health insurance, which should pay for it.

Don't most Insurance deals require you to pay out of pocket about the amount that he is being charged for before they pay anything?

#44 CosmoGirl

CosmoGirl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

Mine doesn't. But I've never filed a claim after services were received.

#45 E CaT PanTHer

E CaT PanTHer

Aite, Lets Do It !!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

No, he actually doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com