SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:24 AM

http://scottfowlerob...rs-of-2008.html

My top 5 Panthers of 2008
I believe Steve Smith should be the Panthers' MVP for 2008, and my argument is mostly contained in this column.

I would guess, however, that DeAngelo Williams would win a vote among Panther fans if there was a scientific one. Less baggage. Younger. And incredible stats.

It's a good debate, so have at it. But in the meantime, here would be my top 5 candidates for Panther MVP, in order, for 2008:

1. STEVE SMITH. If you keep the debate on the field, where it should stay when deciding something like this, he's been incredibly clutch so many times this season.

2. DeANGELO WILLIAMS. A stunning breakout year for the NFL's leader with 20 TDs.

3. JULIUS PEPPERS. A career high in sacks for Peppers, who is going to get an unfathomable amount of money before too long when his contract is extended.

4. JAKE DELHOMME. Not his best year statistically, but his intangibles (he's a winner with great leadership skills) made a huge difference.

5. JON BEASON. If you think the Panthers' defense has been bad lately despite this Pro Bowl middle linebacker, believe me, you don't ever want to see it without him on the field.

Edited by Squirrel, 01 January 2009 - 06:45 AM.

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

Make sure you post the link.

#3 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

Isn't he already here...

#4 MALL34

MALL34

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

what about john kasay

#5 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

I donno..I think Scott Fowler might just have this right.

#6 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

not according to over 1000 fans who voted on our poll...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com

The fans have spoken, Deangelo is the MVP

#7 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Steve has def. been there in the clutch, but deangelo has 20 freaking tds.., plus he's rushed us to many first downs, thats no knock on smitty..Overall if we had to sacrifice one of them for the playoffs i would keep smith over anyone on this team

#8 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

It's funny that so many members of this board still complain about Peppers' performance this year, despite achieving career-high sack numbers with little pressure on the other side (not to mention a less aggressive defensive line than in years past).

With the way he is often double-teamed and dropped into coverage, I really don't understand how people can expect much more from the guy.

#9 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

not according to over 1000 fans who voted on our poll...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com

The fans have spoken, Deangelo is the MVP

I didn't mean the order...I'm one of those who voted for DeAngelo in that poll..I meant not having Kasay in there.

#10 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

• Moderators
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

I voted for Williams on the Huddle poll, but if it weren't for Smith's last catches in the Green bay game and the Saints game, we wouldn't be the #2 seed in the NFC.

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,302 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

In fairness to Steve, several of William's TD's came after long catches by Steve that put the team inside the 5 or 10 yard line.

My MVP vote would go to the entire offensive line. Top flight rushing attack, and only 20 sacks allowed all year = great offensive line play.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 01 January 2009 - 09:36 PM.

#12 savage

savage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

I voted for Williams on the Huddle poll, but if it weren't for Smith's last catches in the Green bay game and the Saints game, we wouldn't be the #2 seed in the NFC.

we wouldnt have established our lead without deangelos 140 something yards in the 1st half vs the saints though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.