Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Says: Top 5 Panther MVPs

12 posts in this topic

Posted

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-top-5-panthers-of-2008.html

My top 5 Panthers of 2008

I believe Steve Smith should be the Panthers' MVP for 2008, and my argument is mostly contained in this column.

I would guess, however, that DeAngelo Williams would win a vote among Panther fans if there was a scientific one. Less baggage. Younger. And incredible stats.

It's a good debate, so have at it. But in the meantime, here would be my top 5 candidates for Panther MVP, in order, for 2008:

1. STEVE SMITH. If you keep the debate on the field, where it should stay when deciding something like this, he's been incredibly clutch so many times this season.

2. DeANGELO WILLIAMS. A stunning breakout year for the NFL's leader with 20 TDs.

3. JULIUS PEPPERS. A career high in sacks for Peppers, who is going to get an unfathomable amount of money before too long when his contract is extended.

4. JAKE DELHOMME. Not his best year statistically, but his intangibles (he's a winner with great leadership skills) made a huge difference.

5. JON BEASON. If you think the Panthers' defense has been bad lately despite this Pro Bowl middle linebacker, believe me, you don't ever want to see it without him on the field.

Posted

Make sure you post the link.

Posted

Isn't he already here...

Posted

what about john kasay

Posted

I donno..I think Scott Fowler might just have this right.

Posted

not according to over 1000 fans who voted on our poll...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com

The fans have spoken, Deangelo is the MVP

Posted

Steve has def. been there in the clutch, but deangelo has 20 freaking tds.., plus he's rushed us to many first downs, thats no knock on smitty..Overall if we had to sacrifice one of them for the playoffs i would keep smith over anyone on this team

Posted

It's funny that so many members of this board still complain about Peppers' performance this year, despite achieving career-high sack numbers with little pressure on the other side (not to mention a less aggressive defensive line than in years past).

With the way he is often double-teamed and dropped into coverage, I really don't understand how people can expect much more from the guy.

Posted

not according to over 1000 fans who voted on our poll...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com

The fans have spoken, Deangelo is the MVP

I didn't mean the order...I'm one of those who voted for DeAngelo in that poll..I meant not having Kasay in there.

Posted

I voted for Williams on the Huddle poll, but if it weren't for Smith's last catches in the Green bay game and the Saints game, we wouldn't be the #2 seed in the NFC.

Posted

In fairness to Steve, several of William's TD's came after long catches by Steve that put the team inside the 5 or 10 yard line.

My MVP vote would go to the entire offensive line. Top flight rushing attack, and only 20 sacks allowed all year = great offensive line play.

Posted

I voted for Williams on the Huddle poll, but if it weren't for Smith's last catches in the Green bay game and the Saints game, we wouldn't be the #2 seed in the NFC.

we wouldnt have established our lead without deangelos 140 something yards in the 1st half vs the saints though.