23 replies to this topic

#1 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

One guy on the free agent list that some may want to keep an eye out for is QB Kellen Clemens out of New York. This guy has all the confidence in the world that he can be a starting QB in this league and at one point in camp last year, he almost became the starter but obviously they chose Mark Sanchez as their eventual stater.

It also helps that he sat behind a HOFer in Brett Farve and look where Aaron Rodgers is at now. Now don't get me wrong, Clemens is no Rodgers but like Rodgers, he did learn a lot from him.

Now here is the issue with Clemens.... He is a RFA and it looks as if New York wants a 2nd round pick for him.

The question is, is Clemens worth a 2nd round pick?

Now the obviously thing would be to get Moore locked up but it wouldn't kill the team to get someone in to compete with Delhomme and Moore, be it Clemens or someone else

Now I know most will be opposed to the idea but just figured I would mention him and see what your thoughts are about him.

#2 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

no

#3 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:41 PM

no

Way to add insight bud ;-)

#4 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

One guy on the free agent list that some may want to keep an eye out for is QB Kellen Clemens out of New York. This guy has all the confidence in the world that he can be a starting QB in this league and at one point in camp last year, he almost became the starter but obviously they chose Mark Sanchez as their eventual stater.

It also helps that he sat behind a HOFer in Brett Farve and look where Aaron Rodgers is at now. Now don't get me wrong, Clemens is no Rodgers but like Rodgers, he did learn a lot from him.

Now here is the issue with Clemens.... He is a RFA and it looks as if New York wants a 2nd round pick for him.

The question is, is Clemens worth a 2nd round pick?

Now the obviously thing would be to get Moore locked up but it wouldn't kill the team to get someone in to compete with Delhomme and Moore, be it Clemens or someone else

Now I know most will be opposed to the idea but just figured I would mention him and see what your thoughts are about him.

It isn't being for or against it so much as not giving up a 2nd round draft pick (our highest pick this year) for a guy who hasn't shown as much as Moore and wouldn't be an upgrade. With Moore and Jake here, the third spot will go to a draft pick. There is really no room for Clemens.

#5 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

Kellen Clemens hasn't shown anyone anything to warrant a 2nd round pick. hes a 3rd at very best. Just an average QB. right there with Derek Anderson

#6 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:52 PM

It isn't being for or against it so much as not giving up a 2nd round draft pick (our highest pick this year) for a guy who hasn't shown as much as Moore and wouldn't be an upgrade. With Moore and Jake here, the third spot will go to a draft pick. There is really no room for Clemens.

But one could argue that a draft pick would be more inexperience then him and wouldn't you trust someone who has experience as oppose to another project QB?

#7 Rags

Rags

help

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,074 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thing is, Moore is already a project, and we know how he works in our system.

Clemens has already played and has done worse than Moore.

We don't need to use our second round pick on a QB anyway, we need to focus on a WR.

#8 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:28 AM

But one could argue that a draft pick would be more inexperience then him and wouldn't you trust someone who has experience as oppose to another project QB?

One could argue that we can sign McCown and save the draft pick if we are looking for another experienced guy. If we are going to use our second rounder on a position of need I would rather get a WR than a third quarterback.

#9 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

One could argue that we can sign McCown and save the draft pick if we are looking for another experienced guy. If we are going to use our second rounder on a position of need I would rather get a WR than a third quarterback.

This

We need a receiver and we need to explore what we have and what can be obtained sans draft pick at the QB position.

#10 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

But then one can also counter argue that by saying that we don't know what position Carolina would draft with the 2nd round pick and if the panthers were stupid enough to draft a QB with their 2nd round pick, why not use it on someone with experience as oppose to someone who we don't know will actually succeed?

#11 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

But then one can also counter argue that by saying that we don't know what position Carolina would draft with the 2nd round pick and if the panthers were stupid enough to draft a QB with their 2nd round pick, why not use it on someone with experience as oppose to someone who we don't know will actually succeed?

because clemons has had opportunities and has done nothing with them. I've watched the guy play many times, I really wanted to see him succeed. If there was anything there, they wouldn't have drafted sanchez. Brett Ratliff showed far more promise when given the opportunity which is why Mangini took him to cleveland. I'd rather have McCown straight up let alone with a 2nd round pick on the line.

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,666 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Not interested.

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,979 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

If we were gonna trade for a QB, it wouldn't be Clemens... I think we need to look for a decent FA to compete with Moore and McCown...

#14 Sultan33g

Sultan33g

I have a boner.

• HUDDLER
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

the only qb id trade for is mcnabb

#15 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

There are lots of guys with experience out there including guys like Feeley and McCown who are in our system. If we would draft a quarterback in round 2 he would have to be a guy who dropped down from round 1 and was a first round talent. Otherwise we would go a different direction given our track record under Fox.

Clemens started 9 games in his career with 8 of those in 2007. He had a whopping passer rating of 60 and only completed 52% of our passes. If that is experienced, then no thanks. He is not a great talent nor has he shown anything like Moore has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com