Photo
- - - - -

Ballantyne wants to keep out mixed-income housing. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#151 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'm fairly certain there's some really nice real estate near Quail Hollow country club off of Park Road that could easily be turned into Low Income housing.

#152 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

I bet Harris would sell to anyone willing to pay at this point.

Edited by Carolina Husker, 18 February 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#153 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

I'm fairly certain there's some really nice real estate near Quail Hollow country club off of Park Road that could easily be turned into Low Income housing.

Posted Image

There is?

Bare in mind the flood plain law as well.

Space is running out in Charlotte, and the City of Charlotte is constrained by Charlotte's SoI, Ballantyne happens to have space.

Edited by Bobby, 18 February 2010 - 04:14 PM.

#154 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

Ballantyne is nice, there's no doubt about that. My problem is the attitude of lots of people that live there. When I say I want to live close to the city people who live in Ballantyne will say 'ew why don't you want to live somewhere nice?' and their ignorance really gets under my skin. I know everyone out there isn't like that though. And my dislike of the place has nothing to do with income - I grew up in Eastover(the house has appreciated about 700K since we moved in mid 90s).

I'll stand by my original statement that Ballantyne is a castle made of sand. If you have to worry about section 8 housing killing your home value then your home didn't have much value in the first place. If you look at all the things people like about Ballantyne you'll see it's all based on perception. Traffic is bad close to downtown on weekdays 9-5 - traffic is bad in Ballantyne/University/whatever ALL the time. Crime is really no better in the suburbs than people think.

The place just doesn't have any character either. I much rather live in a older house in Dilworth, Elizabeth, Chantilly, NoDa, etc. I'm living out by the university right now and I hate it. I'll be closing on a house in Cotswold next month and it can't come fast enough.

I'm sure there are lots of great people that live in Ballantyne(I know some great people that live there). I'll just love watching all the faux snobs squirm from have low income people living close by - the kind of fake rich that would rather look like they're rich than actually be rich.

#155 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,088 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Has anyone thought that is also forced gerrymandering? The govt is able to add or subtract and dilute a voting block at the stroke of a pen?
Doesn't sound like it's trying to do the right thing and give these folks a hand up. How many are also going to work in Ballantyne? Wouldn't it make sense to know that # instead of taking people further away from their job and either add to the commute costs or..hmm, shocker, they have no choice but to use public trans.

#156 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,998 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

OMGZ THEY'RE TRYING TO GET INTO STARBUCKZ!!!!!

Posted Image

#157 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,088 posts
  • LocationMontford

Also, with the high # of foreclosures, what better way to do some Sec 8's AND some sweat equity AND promote home ownership than to buy some of those properties.
Going the mixed develop route is inside the box.

#158 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,088 posts
  • LocationMontford

OMGZ THEY'RE TRYING TO GET INTO STARBUCKZ!!!!!

Posted Image

smootsdaddy? Flair for the racial dramatic and miss the point in front of your face due to the pie icon? :hurray:

#159 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,998 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

It's called a piecon

#160 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,088 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

pecan piecon....mmmmmmmm

#161 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Something tells me if they razed Eastland Mall and put it there none of the same people would be complaining.

#162 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,998 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

STAY OUT OF ARDREY KELLZZZ HS!!!!

Posted Image

#163 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,088 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

every area may have a point to complain. doesn't my idea of focusing on the foreclosures make some sense?

#164 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,088 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

STAY OUT OF ARDREY KELLZZZ HS!!!!

Posted Image

Is that a Hawaiian shirt in the back right corner?

#165 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

every area may have a point to complain. doesn't my idea of focusing on the foreclosures make some sense?

It's a good idea, but it has a potential road block. How many different owners own those parcels of land? If they were foreclosed they'd go to the bank that owned them and several banks/lenders have properties there, it's much easier to negotiate with a single party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com