Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatMan72

No long-term offer yet for Matt Moore

51 posts in this topic

Moore has looked pretty darn good so far, but I still want to see him play in a few more meaningful games to see how he handles pressure.

Last year he was playing with house money, he was replacing an abysmal starter so anything he did as long as he didn't turn the ball over would be considered an improvement. On top of this, the Panthers were already eliminated from playoff contention.

Teams have more tape on Matt Moore now as well, they can see more of his tendancies and they can see how the Panthers like to use him (rolling out, etc) so teams will be more prepared to handle him.

I wouldn't offer him anything long term yet, but with what he has shown so far and our need at QB I would put a 1st round tender on him.

Are you freaking kidding me. Look how well he played in his rookie year in 2007 when Jake went out with elbow injury. Moore went 2-1 as starter and had good statis. Plus it showed that the only in 2007 seemed to me that the oline protect Moore a whole lot better then they did Jake back then. Fast forward 2009 season. The games Jake played he throw a ton of ints and he was consistnet getting hit and sacked. But low and behold Moore comes in as starter and the oline protected him a whole lot better agaist Ds like th vikings. And the vikes D is one of the best in the league right now. And they hardly touch Moore in that game. Moore put up 300 yards agaist the vikes in the air alone. Plus Moore was playing agaist a make shift oline for the final 5 games because gross and otah was out for the season on IR. If Moore can do good agaist a vikes D with 2 starting tackles out. Then Moore is no freaking Derek anderson. Any one with a brain can see Moore is consistent and under pressure. His accurcy is very good and he mobile and he has good arm strength. If the FO chooses to allow him Moore too walk. Then they deserve to loss fan surpport then. A possible lockout should be no reason to allow a good young QB like Moore just to walk just because you invested 20 mill in a QB who can no longer can throw even aa simple dump off pass. When Jake is QB he has one play in mind which is smith to throw to. But when Moore is starter he spreads it around. They better sign him are alot fans will give their support no more. Most fans in the panther community by now knows Moore should be the starter. The question is when will the HC and the FO get the picture and start him this coming year unless they let him go to another team. FO is risky lossing alot fans if Jake comes back as start. FO better beware this offseason and the shoices they make.:mad:

I agree I think Moore will be better then Anderson but to pay devils advocate anderson looked outstanding at times in 2007. I want to see how Moore performs with a full season before I go giving him a long term deal. I want to see what happens when teams start to gameplan against that rollout that helped Moore out so much this year.

He is by no means a sure thing. We do not need to break the bank to keep him IMO. Put the 1st/3rd tender on him if someone wants him bad enough they can pay that price and we can just pick up a vet and a early draft pick.

Moore this showed me that this coaching staff could coach up a QB, something we had always thought was exactly the opposite. So whos to say they can't take a guy like Clausen (many see him taking a Aaron Rogers type fall) and coach him into an outstanding QB.

I would rather have Moore as he knows the offense and unlike a rookie he has adapted to the speed of the game but I wouldn't sweat it if we got a 1st and 3rd for him.

Hi, my name is 1st round tender.

I will be given to matt moore or Kurb will set things on fire.

xoxo

Are you freaking kidding me. Look how well he played in his rookie year in 2007 when Jake went out with elbow injury. Moore went 2-1 as starter and had good statis. Plus it showed that the only in 2007 seemed to me that the oline protect Moore a whole lot better then they did Jake back then. Fast forward 2009 season. The games Jake played he throw a ton of ints and he was consistnet getting hit and sacked. But low and behold Moore comes in as starter and the oline protected him a whole lot better agaist Ds like th vikings. And the vikes D is one of the best in the league right now. And they hardly touch Moore in that game. Moore put up 300 yards agaist the vikes in the air alone. Plus Moore was playing agaist a make shift oline for the final 5 games because gross and otah was out for the season on IR. If Moore can do good agaist a vikes D with 2 starting tackles out. Then Moore is no freaking Derek anderson. Any one with a brain can see Moore is consistent and under pressure. His accurcy is very good and he mobile and he has good arm strength. If the FO chooses to allow him Moore too walk. Then they deserve to loss fan surpport then. A possible lockout should be no reason to allow a good young QB like Moore just to walk just because you invested 20 mill in a QB who can no longer can throw even aa simple dump off pass. When Jake is QB he has one play in mind which is smith to throw to. But when Moore is starter he spreads it around. They better sign him are alot fans will give their support no more. Most fans in the panther community by now knows Moore should be the starter. The question is when will the HC and the FO get the picture and start him this coming year unless they let him go to another team. FO is risky lossing alot fans if Jake comes back as start. FO better beware this offseason and the shoices they make.:mad:

The front office doesnt have anything to lose... If the lose out then Fox and Hurney will be out of jobs and we will be looking for a new head coach and GM.

If you read the article then you would have read that the reason they may not sign him long term is because they are uncertain about Fox and Hurney being back next year. Locking Moore up not knowing what the next HC would want to do at the QB position would be completely stupid.

Calm down, you are completely missing the point. The FO are NOT just going to let him walk. They can tender him for a 1st and 3rd, or 1st round pick. Each deal is peanuts for a starting QB, so it makes loads of sense for the FO to get an extra year of analysis for a relative to positon cheap contract.

Someone could potentially offer him a contract and in that event we get the compensation that we tendered him for. However it is VERY unlikely that someone gives up a first or more picks for a guy who has made 8 starts in this league. Still, even if they do, we STILL have the right to match any offer made to him AND the other teams contract actually has to be accepted by Moore in the first place.

So, please, stop calling the FO names and getting other people riled up by it. This is the sensible move. They can always extend him once we get towards camp if our off season free's up some money.

Oh and let's have a look at Anderson's 2007 season, just for a comparison.

Anderson

298/527 for 3,787 yards

29 to 19 TDs

82 QB Rating

5 Game stretch

STL - 18/25 (72%), 248 yds, 3 TD 0 INT

SEA - 29/48 (60.4%), 364 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT

PIT - 16/35 (45.7%), 123 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT

BAL - 24/38 (63.2%), 274, 0 TD, 1 INT

HOU - 24/35 (68.6%), 1 TD, 1 INT

Not bad lil stretch, his whole 2007 was pretty similar to this only he faltered towards the end of the season, hence why it is good for someone to be assessed for an entire season rather than a small sample such as 5 games.

Did Moore have a better 5 game stretch? Yeah, but statistically so do did Anderson at the beginning of his season. The point is that no matter how well a player does over a short period of time, allowing yourself an additional season at a low cost will always pay off. I bet the Browns had just left him as a RFA or traded him. At the time they had their QB of the future in Quinn, so they had more options. We want to see Moore as a starter and thus let's give ourselves an extra year before we give him financial security for the rest of his life.

Isn't it obvious? Jake is our guy. You guys need to accept that before you have a mental breakdown when he is labeled the starter in camp.

Thats what I keep telling people too. This news shouldnt come as a surprise at all. The panthers will do everything in their power to make sure jake is the starter and saving face with the fans at the same time. They'll claim its a "competition" and Jake won fair and sqaure. I bet they may even give the receivers money under the table to drop some passes from Moore.

Thats what I keep telling people too. This news shouldnt come as a surprise at all. The panthers will do everything in their power to make sure jake is the starter and saving face with the fans at the same time. They'll claim its a "competition" and Jake won fair and sqaure. I bet they may even give the receivers money under the table to drop some passes from Moore.

well, that is going a tad far but I do believe Jake starts and "wins" a camp battle. All Fox has to do is put Jake in position to have the most success prior to the start of camp and put Moore at a disadvantage.......very easy to do for Fox to "build" his case Jake gives them the best chance to win.

Plus, Fox will always maintain Jake was never benched for Moore to begin with.

With 2011 up in the air right now, how do you negotiate a long-term contract with anyone? Outside of our organization, how many long-term contract announcements have you heard yet? No one is moving fast this off season that isn't in emergency mode.

1 person likes this

I don't see why we don't at least give him a 2 or 3 year extension.

Everyone assumes that Moore wants a long-term contract but it isn't clear if that is the case. He obviously wants to play here but might be fine with the tender. That way he gets time to show his skills and will surely increase his price tag if he has a big year. Right now a long term contract wouldn't be in the 8 to 10 million dollar range- more like 4 or 5 million a year with a 10 million signing bonus. Moore could really inflate that number with a great year.

Might be in his best interest to play under the tender and land a big contract after a complete year of good work.