Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

He'll be an Eagle.

#108 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:39 AM

Peppers leaving without compensation would be a total disaster. Our team has 2 game changing superstars, Peppers and Smith. Any other players could be replaced if needed. I don't want to see our Tampa-2 with Bown and Johnson/some other nobody starting. Yikes. No thanks. I know this is a blue collar, under the radar type team, but reducing the talent level to 1 superstar is unacceptable.

We lose Peppers + we're stuck with Jake = Fire Hurney. Expect a massive drop off in our sack totals if Peppers hits the bricks without compensation. If we're not going to have an elite pass rusher on our front 4, then we need to stop playing zone defense. That, or we'll start to look like the Colts defense before Freeney. BTW Dwight Freeney was the 11th pick in the 2002 draft, and we don't even have our 1st round pick this draft. Hence we need to make a deal with Peppers that is similar to the deal Freeney recieved (six-years, $72 million contract with $30 million in guarantees). If it turns into a bidding war, then offer more money. Peppers isn't the heart of our defense, but he does make it work. Without him, I don't think we should expect to do much next season. Our zone defense would simply be picked apart. Fox and company surely know that, but I wonder if they'll poney up?

#109 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:34 AM

Julius Peppers is our best past rusher. He is a physical specimen. He gives OL nightmares. However, Julius Peppers has made 13, 14, 17 million dollars the last 3 years for 27.5 sacks. Its obvious that Peppers agent thinks JP should get even more than the Freeney contract. Let them see if they can get it. Let us spend that money on upgrading WR, signing Beason to a long term, locking up some more players on the OLine and at RB. See if TD is recovered from ACL and then lock him up also. Even have some money left to maybe sign Matt Moore long term after he leads us to 7-1 start.

You said it yourself Peppers isn't the heart of our defense. Who would you rather give that money too? Peppers or Beason?

#110 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 44,740 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

You said it yourself Peppers isn't the heart of our defense. Who would you rather give that money too? Peppers or Beason?

Is that a trick question?

Yes, Peppers is a great player. A player I wish would stay on the team. But all the money given him last year hurt us. And if we did it again it would hurt us even more this year. Take care of those that want to be here and let those that want to leave...leave. I just wish Jake would retire. And then we can move on out of the past and into the future.

Edited by Jangler, 23 February 2010 - 03:01 AM.

#111 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,190 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:14 AM

From pass rush to pass mush.

#112 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:31 AM

Come on people...nobody....NOBODY... is worth $20 mill for one year....the Panthers will live!!!!

Peyton got it last year.

#113 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

Adam_Schefter

RT @SI_PeterKing: Had an NFL exec tell me this weekend he thought Peppers would be lucky to get $10m a year in this climate.

hmmmm... that would be a surprise.

#114 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:28 AM

hmmmm... that would be a surprise.

Yeah, I saw that too... It kind of makes me hold on to a little bit of hope that, if we let Pep just walk, he'll come back after feeling out the competition...

#115 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

Personally I would rather have someone with less talent but more fight and motor.

#116 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:43 AM

Personally I would rather have someone with less talent but more fight and motor.

Exactly! They need to start saving some money for Beasons long term deal anyway.

#117 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

Bringin dat Gamecock swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationCamden, SC

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Last year everyone was circle jerking Hurney for getting Gross' contract done and tagging Peppers.

We had a bad year, and now he's an idiot. Something else will happen good, and he'll be a god again. This is ridiculous.

Anyways, best of luck to Julius Peppers, I'm sad to see him go, but sometimes its the team over a player. I'd rather have 5 solid or above average contributers than one good DE.

#118 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

I am personally sick of people calling Hurney an idiot for this situation because, I mean, it isn't like they didn't offer him a long term contract, matter-of-fact, they were going to make him the HIGHEST PAID DE IN THE LEAGUE and yet he still wouldn't take it. Face it, Pep and his agent are greedy and he just isn't worth the money.

and to those who think we may get something for him, let me remind you that every team that you heard rumored that could possibly trade for him is just that, a rumor. We don't know exactly could be a potential trade partner and I don't even think there are any teams out there that would make that sort of risk. So what will happen if we tag him and there are no trade partners, are you going to continue calling Hurney an idiot?

So all I can say is, get over it, he will either be gone or he'll come to the realization that no team is going to offer him as much as we plan on offering.

#119 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

Last year everyone was circle jerking Hurney for getting Gross' contract done and tagging Peppers.

We had a bad year, and now he's an idiot. Something else will happen good, and he'll be a god again. This is ridiculous.

Anyways, best of luck to Julius Peppers, I'm sad to see him go, but sometimes its the team over a player. I'd rather have 5 solid or above average contributers than one good DE.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few, or the one."
-Mr. Spock

#120 pantherdad

pantherdad

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

Peppers...Jerry...Babineaux....Abraham

My dear god

and I'll raise ya, Gross..Vincent..Kalil..and Otah...
whats to be scared of, if you think we couldn't game plan against Pep, than your crazy. Hell, all we gotta do is put a tight end on him, and we're good.
It would be a damn shame to see Hoover or Stewart put Pep on his ass...:rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.