• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

I just want to put a disclaimer up here that I do not look down on those for requiring government help, ie. food stamps.

Ok while I worked at a grocery store I got really tired of seeing people with food stamps buying candy, ice cream, cake, and soda all the time. To me dessert is a luxury, I only eat it on special occasions and I only drink a Dr. Pepper (All other soda sucks and you know it) if I've already drank better stuff that day.

So I figure if you have to depend on the government for food then the government has the right to tell you what to eat. The correlation of obesity/poverty is pretty high. I'm not saying they should all eat rabbit food but they should at least restrict people from coming in and buying a bunch of sweet tarts and carrot cake. I've seen this happen over and over again, many times it's the same people.

My favorite instance was a gentlemen taking advantage of our buy one get one free offer on candybars, he had about 10 or so. When his card was declined he said "that's obama's government for yah". Just kinda added a horrible cherry on top of the FAIL sundae.

Or the guy that came in getting 6 two liter bottles of mountain dew wearing a christian audigier $80 t-shirt.

If you want sweets and your on food stamps, then buy milk, eggs, sugar, and flour to make some. Model the foodstamp allowance after the food pyramid.

I just feel like food stamps are being abused when people do this. I don't know which -ism my idea falls under.

So should I start running for SC lieutenant governor?

#2 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

go to your local market, walk down the aisle with healthy foods, then consider if they're really being spoiled by buying junk. healthy food is expensive. junk food is much more cost efficient.

2 litre mountain dews are cheaper than 2 litres worth of bottled water, or 12 ounces of most 'healthy' drink. (a lot of tap water is just not drinkable)

Edited by rodeo, 23 February 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#3 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

Most people with unhealthy drinking water buy the storebrand gallon waters. I can't remember how much those are though.

It's true that it's more expensive to eat healthy. But there is no alternative to cake, cookies, ice cream, and candy. I don't see why they're allowed to buy that. Maybe give them an allowance of dessert items. I'm sure the pleasure of junk food can help you in your efforts to get off foodstamps but it will soon become counter productive.

#4 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:04 AM

Yes, because people are poor cause they want to be.

#5 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:40 AM

Hey atleast they are not spending it all on steaks. WIC only allows you to but certain food. Food stamps are what they are for food and since candy and ice cream is a food is passes. You have to remember there are kids involved no reason to deprive them of snacks. But with that said buying candy gets them real cash in return so that is one reason they do it.

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,293 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

Some are poor not so much because they want to, but because they don't think they can get out of the cycle. Which is a lie.
I have seen poor and those more or less in the middle class struggle with some big time misnomers about food, money, education or whatever and the cycle continues.
The bad stuff is cheap for a reason. Cheap to make and store and there is a demand for it.
Fruits and vegetables are still pretty cheap.

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

I'd like to see a grocery list of what's good/bad contrasted to costs. Generic cheerios are just as good for you as namebrand.

#8 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

I'd like to see a grocery list of what's good/bad contrasted to costs. Generic cheerios are just as good for you as namebrand.

They can buy all the cheerios they want, cheerios aren't dessert.

#9 Jbro

Jbro

BBW GFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,535 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Me being in the beer business I go to some bad stores and about 25% of the time I go to a bad store I get offered $50 of food stamps for $20-$30 cash I even had one guy say for $30 he would shop with me and pay he had $100 on his card. I never took them up on it but know A LOT of people do. I would guess 20% of people using the stamps bought them.

#10 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Hey atleast they are not spending it all on steaks. WIC only allows you to but certain food. Food stamps are what they are for food and since candy and ice cream is a food is passes. You have to remember there are kids involved no reason to deprive them of snacks. But with that said buying candy gets them real cash in return so that is one reason they do it.

WIC is different. They give you an allowance of staples and baby food/forumula. I don't see why they can't just bring that philosophy to all government assistance.

Anybody on food stamps needs to be working to get off food stamps. Cake and ice cream doesn't help you do that. I don't see how it helps you. Maybe let them get a carton of ice cream a week or something. Only about 10% of the people I see with food stamps also use coupons and pinch pennies.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

Me being in the beer business I go to some bad stores and about 25% of the time I go to a bad store I get offered $50 of food stamps for $20-$30 cash I even had one guy say for $30 he would shop with me and pay he had $100 on his card. I never took them up on it but know A LOT of people do. I would guess 20% of people using the stamps bought them.

Social workers need to be more vigilant and start using deputies to bust fraud.

If you look at in terms of money is actually being taken away from those that truly need it...it would win public support.

Start sting operations. Just like prostitution baiting. Go up to random people and ask them to help them conduct fraud with the foodstamps. If they do...they get busted/arrested. Here...you're not punishing those that actually NEED the food stamps...you're busting the people that are enabling these people to do it. Once word spreads...THEN you start busting the people on food stamps with expanded stings.

#12 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

go to your local market, walk down the aisle with healthy foods, then consider if they're really being spoiled by buying junk. healthy food is expensive. junk food is much more cost efficient.

2 litre mountain dews are cheaper than 2 litres worth of bottled water, or 12 ounces of most 'healthy' drink. (a lot of tap water is just not drinkable)

Water comes out of their sink and is pretty darn cheap.

Chips, snack packs, cookies, cokes, bottled water and crackers can all be pretty expensive and are all unnecessary.
I eat healthy very cheap. I typically spend more money when I'm buying junk food.

#13 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

This has happened to me several times as well. Of course they weren't offering me any incentive. they just wanted me to buy my groceries with their stamps and then me pay them money.

#14 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Water comes out of their sink and is pretty darn cheap.

as i noted in that post, many areas have tap water that is just not drinkable. especially low income areas.

#15 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

not drinkable? really

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.