Photo
- - - - -

Dark Knight pirate gets 2 Years

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Dark Knight Pirate Punishement too harsh? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Dark Knight Pirate Punishement too harsh?

1. yes (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. no (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,390 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

the guy that pled guilty to recording the Dark Knight and selling it on DVD was just sentenced to 2 years in prison and fined for $24,000. Is this too harsh?

Edited by Dpantherman, 25 February 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#2 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 44,689 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

I said no, but if you can kill somebody and try and cover it up and only get 5 years with a mandatory 18 months then yes it is.

#3 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,390 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

thats my main issue. happens all the time. When I think 2 years, that seems almost nonsensical.

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,665 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

selling it? thats kinda sketchy, and he's probably being made an example of, ala plaxico burress. if he was just making a copy for himself it would be clear overkill.

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 31,456 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Not really all that harsh in and of itself, but in light of some other recent sentences, yeah, probably.

I agree that selling it is far worse than recording it and sharing it.

#6 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Yeah, Booooyyyyyy....

• HUDDLER
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

I gotta agree with NC on this. 2 years seems harsh. Heck the fine alone seems like good enough punishment.

#7 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

It's clearly illegal so it's not harsh. I don't pirate any music or movies. If i really like a movie I make sure i see it in theaters or rent it. Can't afford it then too bad.

You don't take a service/good from somebody without paying, I'm not shedding any tears for him.

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

He probably will not do two years. More than likely, he will do about 6 months.

It really depends on the circumstances though. The money he made was basically money he stole from the people that make the movies. In reality, no differnt from walking into the studio and taking the money from them directly. So if he sold 10,000 dollars worth, then thats 10,000 he stole. In that case, I don't have a real problem with the sentence, as long as he was fairly represented by an able lawyer.

#9 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

it depends on how many he sold. if he made enough money to qualify as grand larceny in whatever state he lives, then it's an appropriate sentence. if he sold 10 copies then it's overly cruel.

#10 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,390 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

UPADTE: He didn't even sell it!!!!

Posted 2/22/10 9:31 am ET by Josh Wigler in DC Comics, News

The Dark KnightBatman's strict stance against injustice is well established within the confines of fiction, but now Gotham City's ever vigilant protector is bringing his war against crime to the real world.

According to The Wrap, a Missouri resident has been sentenced to two years in prison and must pay a fine of $24,738 for illegally recording "The Dark Knight" in theaters and consequently distributing pirated DVDs for profit. The sentence was issued after the man pleaded guilty to the crime.

The defendant, identified as Robert Henderson of Grandview, Missouri, will serve a three year probation period following his prison sentence.

"The theft of films by camcording is a serious threat to the health of the motion picture industry and the 2.4 million Americans it employs," said Mike Robinson of the Motion Picture Association of America in response to the verdict. "This is an appropriate sentence for a very serious crime, and we hope it will serve as a warning to would-be movie thieves that they will face severe consequences for engaging in these activities."

Henderson's sentencing comes just two months after the arrest of Gilberto Sanchez, the man accused of putting the illegal copy of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" online.

No matter your stance on the verdict, we can all agree upon one thing — film piracy is being taken very, very seriously on a legal level. Perhaps it's best to keep those video-equipped cell phones turned off during movie showings after all.

http://splashpage.mt...rison-sentence/

#11 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

selling it? thats kinda sketchy, and he's probably being made an example of, ala plaxico burress. if he was just making a copy for himself it would be clear overkill.

Plaxico's issue was mandatory sentencing. nobody had a choice.

I'm guessing he had a big time operation going. Not just a guy selling a few copies on the street.

#12 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

UPADTE: He didn't even sell it!!!!

Posted 2/22/10 9:31 am ET by Josh Wigler in DC Comics, News

http://splashpage.mt...rison-sentence/

it says he distributed pirated dvds for profit. i know it's fancy wording, but that means he sold it.

#13 c0r

c0r

First 9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

yes it is way too harsh. the fine alone i think is too harsh (although he prob coulda been fined more for it according to law).

#14 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

Can't do the time (and after watching Felon I never wanna see the inside of a prison!), don't do the crime.

Sentence is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.