Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight pirate gets 2 Years

Dark Knight Pirate Punishement too harsh?   15 votes

1. 1. Dark Knight Pirate Punishement too harsh?

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

Posted

the guy that pled guilty to recording the Dark Knight and selling it on DVD was just sentenced to 2 years in prison and fined for $24,000. Is this too harsh?

Posted

I said no, but if you can kill somebody and try and cover it up and only get 5 years with a mandatory 18 months then yes it is.

Posted

thats my main issue. happens all the time. When I think 2 years, that seems almost nonsensical.

Posted

selling it? thats kinda sketchy, and he's probably being made an example of, ala plaxico burress. if he was just making a copy for himself it would be clear overkill.

Posted

Not really all that harsh in and of itself, but in light of some other recent sentences, yeah, probably.

I agree that selling it is far worse than recording it and sharing it.

Posted

I gotta agree with NC on this. 2 years seems harsh. Heck the fine alone seems like good enough punishment.

Posted

It's clearly illegal so it's not harsh. I don't pirate any music or movies. If i really like a movie I make sure i see it in theaters or rent it. Can't afford it then too bad.

You don't take a service/good from somebody without paying, I'm not shedding any tears for him.

Posted

He probably will not do two years. More than likely, he will do about 6 months.

It really depends on the circumstances though. The money he made was basically money he stole from the people that make the movies. In reality, no differnt from walking into the studio and taking the money from them directly. So if he sold 10,000 dollars worth, then thats 10,000 he stole. In that case, I don't have a real problem with the sentence, as long as he was fairly represented by an able lawyer.

Posted

it depends on how many he sold. if he made enough money to qualify as grand larceny in whatever state he lives, then it's an appropriate sentence. if he sold 10 copies then it's overly cruel.

Posted

UPADTE: He didn't even sell it!!!!

Posted 2/22/10 9:31 am ET by Josh Wigler in DC Comics, News

The Dark KnightBatman's strict stance against injustice is well established within the confines of fiction, but now Gotham City's ever vigilant protector is bringing his war against crime to the real world.

According to The Wrap, a Missouri resident has been sentenced to two years in prison and must pay a fine of $24,738 for illegally recording "The Dark Knight" in theaters and consequently distributing pirated DVDs for profit. The sentence was issued after the man pleaded guilty to the crime.

The defendant, identified as Robert Henderson of Grandview, Missouri, will serve a three year probation period following his prison sentence.

"The theft of films by camcording is a serious threat to the health of the motion picture industry and the 2.4 million Americans it employs," said Mike Robinson of the Motion Picture Association of America in response to the verdict. "This is an appropriate sentence for a very serious crime, and we hope it will serve as a warning to would-be movie thieves that they will face severe consequences for engaging in these activities."

Henderson's sentencing comes just two months after the arrest of Gilberto Sanchez, the man accused of putting the illegal copy of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" online.

No matter your stance on the verdict, we can all agree upon one thing — film piracy is being taken very, very seriously on a legal level. Perhaps it's best to keep those video-equipped cell phones turned off during movie showings after all.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/02/22/the-dark-knight-dvd-pirate-receives-two-year-prison-sentence/

Posted

selling it? thats kinda sketchy, and he's probably being made an example of, ala plaxico burress. if he was just making a copy for himself it would be clear overkill.

Plaxico's issue was mandatory sentencing. nobody had a choice.

I'm guessing he had a big time operation going. Not just a guy selling a few copies on the street.